We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggested children's books ahead of trip to BC

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Suggested children's books ahead of trip to BC

Hello,

I am really looking forward to taking the family on a trip from London (UK) to SW Canada in April for two weeks. Our kids are 3 and 5, and we are looking for some good children's books to get them excited, and so they get more fun out of the trip. They love reading so we'll prime them regularly before we go. Has anyone got any good tips on recommended books suitable for that age range. Our eldest (boy) loves science type books with lots of facts, as well as space, cowboys, superheroes and pirates. Our younger girl loves character based stories.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
62,244 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggested children's books ahead of trip to BC

What a great post. Such an exciting idea. I can get you started with some Canadian content for children 2-5.

Mister Got to Go. Simmie and Nugent. About a cat in the Sylvia Hotel in Vancouver.

One-Dog Canoe. Casanova and Hoyt. About Canadian animals.

(The) West is Calling. Bonder and Harvey. non-fiction. B.C. focus: sawmill, Haida, Alexander Mackenzie, Fort Victoria, CPR railway, Expo 86.

Amazing British Columbia. Owen. alphabet book. non fiction. About Cdn icons. website: http://www.amazingbritishcolumbia.com/ for image of the book.

Canada Counts. Patcher. counting book. About Canadian art.

Jessie's Island. Mcfarlane and Lot. About a visitor to an island and all the natural discoveries.

(A) Pod of Orcas. Mcfarlane and Wakelin. Counting/picture book.

Canada the Culture. Kalman. Non fiction (Bobbie Kalman is one of the very best "lands, peoples and cultures" authors around.)

Down at Seaweed Cafe. Perry and Guzek. Lullaby-like rhythm, simple words, and cheerful pictures

(The) Ferryboat Ride. Perry and Guzek. Poetry. Islands, lighthouses, seagulls, whales and tugboats.

The Hockey Sweater. Roch Carrier. A timeless children's classic.

I will PM you with other tips. Hope this helps.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggested children's books ahead of trip to BC

Thanks very much for those ideas. We'll see which ones we can hunt down from here. Any tips on places to go and things to do gladly received. We have so far planned ~4days in and around Van, and ~4days in Whistler for some late season skiing (first try for kids), and this leaves us another 4days, from which we need to end up in Calgary. We have hired an SUV already. I was thinking about going to ranch or similar, which my son would like I think.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Sechelt, BC
Level Contributor
748 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggested children's books ahead of trip to BC

Here are a couple more:

Who Hides in the Park by Warabe Aska: About a walk through Stanley Park

With My Umbrella, I Can ... by Maria Pavlik, Holly Pavlik About rainy day activities in Vancouver

S is for Spirit Bear by G. Gregory Roberts, Bob Doucet An alphabet book

Here is a great website of things to do with children:

www.findfamilyfun.com

Some great options besides the obvious choices (i.e the aquarim, Stanley Park) include:

Take a boat ride on False Creek – Take a charming pint-sized boat for a ride around False Creek. The rainbow-colored Aquabus goes to and from Hornby St. (downtown) to Granville Island, with stops around False Creek and Science World. The Water Ferry goes to and from the Aquatic Center on Beach St., to the Maritime Museum at Vanier Park, and down False Creek to the Science Center. The round trip around False Creek is about 25 min. A great way to travel to and from Granville Island

Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge - A free alternative to the Capilno Suspension Bridge but still as breathtaking. KIds love running across the bridges and up and down the hiking trails

Lonsdale Quay - A short "seabus" ride away - getting there is almost as much fun at the quay itself

Lots and lots of stuff in Vancouver to keep you and your kids busy and content.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
62,244 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggested children's books ahead of trip to BC

Another book has come to light and I just want to add it to this thread so that when someone does a search for children's books, it will be included in the list.

The Kids Book of Canada by Barbara Greenwood - an overview with all of your provinces, people, places, animals, history, sports, flags and events.

5. Re: Suggested children's books ahead of trip to BC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2011, 05:15