We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BC Accommodations Guide-A Mixed Review

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,852 posts
1 review
Save Topic
BC Accommodations Guide-A Mixed Review

Hadn't the trusty old book around for a while but phoned HelloBC and had a copy mailed to me.

Still much the same format but smaller font/more adds make for a cluttered look (maybe that's just me though).

Many smaller operations I know well have opted out altogether I suppose the price has gone up and websites are cheaper/offer more exposure.

This leaves the book a bit sparse in coverage for some areas it seems like lots of campgrounds included and little else.

Gone are the days when I could take to the road with my truck/fishing rods some food/money and the Accommodations Guide now I'd need an I-phone or Blackberry to be sure of a place to stay at the end of the day.

I suppose smaller Visitors Bureaux will pick up some of the slack in that regard but it's my experience that a person has to know what questions to ask in order to receive useful info from many of those places.

Nothing stays the same forever.....

Edited: 04 March 2010, 00:35
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
61,604 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BC Accommodations Guide-A Mixed Review

It would be interesting to compare the HelloBC website vs. magazine content for a popular destination such as Tofino and a less popular one in BC. If you have the time or inclination to do a brief comparison sometime, Sam, it would be quite interesting. (I don't have a paper version of the Accommodations Guide.)

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,343 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BC Accommodations Guide-A Mixed Review

Am sorry to hear this.. I think I still ahve a 1986 copy of SuperNatural BC kicking around.. was a wonderful resource with tons of places listed...We too used to just get up and go and see what place we could find to stay in from the old guides. Websites are ok but I know some spots in BC where cell phones don't work all that well ( like here in the lower mainland!) so it makes it difficult to find that off the beaten trail place.

Sechelt, BC
Level Contributor
748 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BC Accommodations Guide-A Mixed Review

I use to like it when it was listed not in alphabetical order but in the order you would come to places as you drove along a highway. And like previous posters I liked it when it was the bible for accommodation in BC - if a place wasn't listed in the guide it didn't exist or was too yucky to stay in.

Sechelt, BC
Level Contributor
748 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BC Accommodations Guide-A Mixed Review

I use to like it when it was listed not in alphabetical order but in the order you would come to places as you drove along a highway. And like previous posters I liked it when it was the bible for accommodation in BC - if a place wasn't listed in the guide it didn't exist or was too yucky to stay in.

5. Re: BC Accommodations Guide-A Mixed Review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2010, 07:16