We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it worth stopping in Shuswap?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
58 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Is it worth stopping in Shuswap?

Im a solo college student traveller, I'll be going from Vancouver to the Rockies, but I'm wondering if its worth paying for a tour that includes a night at Shuswap lake, or just take a greyhoud night bus straight to Banff instead?

Is it worth paying a little extra for the tour that includes Shuswap? I've already been to Kelowna... should I just skip it and spend more time on a Banff/Jasper tour instead?

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,012 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it worth stopping in Shuswap?

I wouldn't take the greyhound night bus..too much to see along the route! I'm also not sure I'd stop in Shuswap...what tour are you looking at? Moosebus?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it worth stopping in Shuswap?

I wouldn't bother stopping there, unless you are with a tour group and have lake front access. It is basically a lake and some forested hills around it. Also if you are short on time obviously night travel will give you more time for activities.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,246 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it worth stopping in Shuswap?

If it's the Moose Bus then I would do it. Great to meet people, see the scenery and there is a pub on the water in Sicamous. The night bus is long, uncomfortable and not super appealing (even when I was your age). Or get a deal on Westjet and fly!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
58 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it worth stopping in Shuswap?

Thanks for the replies!

Yes I was looking at the moose tours, Im not sure between the Coho (which includes one night at Scotch Creek on Shuswap Lake) or taking the night greyhound (its a long trip, and from experience I know night travel goes by faster and I wont have to pay for accomodation) straight to Banff and only doing their Rockie tour of Banff and Jasper.

The thing is I get kicked out of my res on May 2nd and have to be at the Calgary Airport for May 10th, I might spend the first couple days in Vancouver but I do have time, and want to make the most if it.

Unless there are other budget tour companies you would recommend? The only other one I found was West Trek and their tours dont fit my schedule.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,684 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it worth stopping in Shuswap?

It's a wonderful area-somewhat under rated but renowned for it's wonderful weather, potent ganga and beautiful willing women.

Some decent wineries now as well and the lake is a great place for a swim or even sailing.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it worth stopping in Shuswap?

TO SAMSALMON,

<< It's a wonderful area-somewhat under rated but renowned for it's wonderful weather, potent ganga and beautiful willing women. >>

Lol, crack me up... trying to appeal to the Student Traveller... you are just too cool man... and to think your TA Profile says you are over 50.

;-) *wink*

Only thing is you should have looked up the Travellers Profile... lol, turns out our lovely coed here is a gal.

Too funny.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
58 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it worth stopping in Shuswap?

haha I hope Shuswap has more to offer than just weed and easy women, cuz, that isnt really a good selling point for me! Im also thinking its still a little bit cold for skinny dipping in the lake...

Canada
Level Contributor
103 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it worth stopping in Shuswap?

Shuswap is a beautiful lake but not sure it's worth it for one night, in may especially. The lake is too cold to swim in that time of year... we have a place on Shuswap and it is really nice, but in May about all you can do, is go for a boat ride, make a nice fire and roast marshmellows etc...

Really depends what you like, if you want to see sights, and touristy things then skip it, if you are outdoorsy and love quiet,lakeside settings then stop.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,012 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it worth stopping in Shuswap?

I'd definitely do the Moose bus...even though it's not prime time for Shuswap I think the opportunity to see the area and the Rockies is worth doing. The Moosenetwork gets good reviews. Having done the greyhound from Vancouver to Calgary and also Banff to Vancouver more than once I can say that it's much better to get to see the Rockies!

10. Re: Is it worth stopping in Shuswap?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2010, 05:20