We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accessible campsite to Nelson

Which British Columbia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
104 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Accessible campsite to Nelson

Hi! We're going to be hiring an rv travelling a circular route from kelowna through the West Kootenays. (roughly penticton, kettle river, Nelson, Naksup, Revelstoke and down to Kelowna) We have currently booked ahead a site at Kettle River provincial campground. ((On previous advice from Muftimix and Camping girl, thanks)) We then were aiming to go straight through to Nelson. Is this too long a drive (approx 4hrs I think) w a 6 yr old? I'm looking for a place to stop w the RV near Nelson. Kokanee Creek isn't available til the next night, is this a good site and should we plan to spend more than 1 night here? We're a bit nervous of picking up sites on the way as we're not too sure whether there will be too many people. We don't want to drive all the time either. Any help greatly appreciated, thank you.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,278 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accessible campsite to Nelson

Can't answer your RV campsite question sorry, but just want to doublecheck that you still have August dates.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
104 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accessible campsite to Nelson

Yes Mufimixandmatch we're still visiting in August with the RV from 7th through to the 15th.

Thanks

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,763 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accessible campsite to Nelson

We rved alot when our kids were younger,, and usually did 5-6 hour days,, 2-3 hours in am,, then stop for lunch and swim ( if lake or stream around) then another 2-3 hrs in pm,, Most 6 yr olds should easily be able to do a four hour drive. Our kids did and one of our children is ADHD and learning disabled,, so I can't imagine another child being more challenged or challenging to deal with . An RV has a table to sit at ,, so drawing , puzzles etc can be done. And by time kids were 5 or 6 we got them a small portable DVD player,, ( it was less 90 bucks)

We have had to push a few longer days,, just depending on routing,, and its really a matter of keeping many healthy snacks ready,, have drawing materials and small toys handy,, and mom has to get out of the navigation seat sometimes and sit with children and keep them happy.

We love the whole interior and Rockies routing ,, and rarely had overnight stops booked,, but did book for longer stays...

A great place to stop for one night is on Kootney Lake,, not too far from Nelso,, Ainsworth Hotsprings. Best commericail hotsprings we have done ( and we have done many,, kids love them) they have a CAVE with stalatites etc,, and the view of the lake from main pool is amazing,, they have a motel , but campround was a bit down the street , we usaully drove. I will try and look up name, its been a few years since we were there.

If doing a no reservation trip,, start stopping and looking for places by 2 or 3 at latest in afternoon,, just in case you have to drive on,, in areas that are sparesly populated the next campground may be a few hours away.

Most campgrounds are booked up,, but, almost every one keeps a few spots open for drop ins,, but as I said ,check in by early afternoon. We found it was easy to do most driving early in day,, on the road by 8 or 9, then we could enjoy the afternoons swimming and relaxing at campgrounds. The great thing about an RV is,, you can stop pretty well anywhere and have a nice lunch,, there are reststops and rivers etc everywhere.. enjoy your trip,, I miss the days of our RV holidaying,, our kids are too old now,, ( two of our boys are over 6 feet,, so its too crowded now!)

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,763 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accessible campsite to Nelson

Hi , Campground we used was Woodburys.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
104 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accessible campsite to Nelson

Thank you for your help Joan1, it's really helpful to have an idea about stopping and timing your day. I will see if I can look it up on the internet. Thanks

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,676 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accessible campsite to Nelson

Woodbury is nice, and is a few miles from Ainsworth, on the lake. (but I thought it was called JB's?) I also like Mirror Lake, just outside of Kaslo, and of course Kokanee Springs which I already recommended to you.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,676 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accessible campsite to Nelson

Found the website for Woodbury's - the restaurant & bar on the same property is called JB's! (nice to know I haven't completely lost my mind...)

http://www.woodburyresort.com/

I hope that helps.

- CG

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
104 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accessible campsite to Nelson

Thank you Camping Girl. We like the look of Kokanee Springs however they only have a double site available when we're in the area. Do you know what this might be like? The other half is already taken and we're not sure if it would be too close to follk we don't know? Mirror Lake isn't reservable unfortunately.

I think that we will possibly take a chance on what site to have and try to get in early when we're there (we've booked Kettle River for the night before).

Any other advice much appreciated, thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,278 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accessible campsite to Nelson

My post needed to be removed. wrong info.

Edited: 06 July 2010, 21:54
10. Re: Accessible campsite to Nelson

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2011, 05:17