We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What would your choice be? …and why?

Which British Columbia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
104 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
What would your choice be? …and why?

Greetings to All

Would you rather take the ‘cheapest’ room available in a 5 Star hotel or would you rather have the ‘best’ room in a 3 Star establishment? (This on the presumption that the price would work out more-or-less even between the two options).

I am currently facing this dilemma and thought it would be interesting to put this out to all my seasoned Trip Advisor Friends. Please motivate your responses with a quick reasoning.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,601 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What would your choice be? …and why?

As I am presently planning a trip to your country, when I am in Jo'burg, CT or Durban "Would you rather take the ‘cheapest’ room available in a 5 Star hotel or would you rather have the ‘best’ room in a 3 Star establishment?"

I look at accommodation as somewhere to sleep that is comfortable, clean and convenient. I do not want fine restaurants and the trimmings. And as B&B is more popular in your country than hotels, and far different from B&B in BC for example, that is the way I am planning for my trip to your country.

Different strokes for different folks. In Vancouver and Alberta we stayed at 3/4 star accommodation and had no problems.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What would your choice be? …and why?

I'm with Frommy - a hotel room is a place to keep my stuff, sleep and shower. So long as it's clean I'm happy. We usually eat elsewhere anyway, but the finer the hotel the more expensive the eggs for breakfast. On occasion for a treat we go the finer route, with the comfy bathrobes and extra ammenities, but not just for a place to sleep.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,645 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What would your choice be? …and why?

What two places are you considering? Location may play a factor.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What would your choice be? …and why?

Yes, if you could tell us which hotels you are considering, we might be able to help you more. Location would make a difference. Anther factor might be room size. For example, the best room at a 3-star might be bigger than the cheapest room at a 5-star, if that is a consideration. On the other hand, are there amenities offered by the 5-star, e.g., pool, spa, that you might want to make use of?

Edited: 12 July 2010, 17:38
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
104 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What would your choice be? …and why?

Thank you. - I appreciate all the responses ;-)

Initially, I intended this to be a general question. I achieved my objective in that I obtained a diverse range of opinions from the three different boards I posted on.

We (DH and I) will be visiting Vancouver from 11 to 20 December 2010 with one night planned in Whistler on 13th.

Plan B:

As I could not find any suitable, reasonably priced, furnished apartment rentals (with view) in Vancouver (this was plan A), we turned our focus to looking at various hotel options. On sites like Expedia, 1800Hotels, Hotels.com, etc, hotels like the Fairmont Waterfront and Hotel le Soleil are priced somewhat above our intended budget.

And so plan C was developed:

(a Girl has to be adaptable and wise :-) - thank goodness for my TA Friends for enabling the latter!)

If anyone has recent experience on one of the bidding websites – to which I am new and thus obviously inexperienced (i.e. Priceline.com, beterbidding, etc), I would appreciate if you could let me know which hotels these sites are currently representing in the four and five star categories and how much the winning bids are going for. I understand that there is no guarantee of the bid being for a specific hotel – that’s the whole idea behind these sites. How wrong can one really go, bidding on a four or five star hotel though - right?

I know, I know… this is bordering on analysis paralysis! Please do indulge me for a minute longer…

And now for the final part of this rather long question post:

The very knowledgeable TA Expert ‘MrJohnMD from Baltimore’ has advised others repeatedly that one should wait until between a month and 10 days before the intended stay to begin bidding in order to obtain the lowest prices. As our stay is very close to the Christmas festive period, my concerned is that there will not be much decent accommodation left by then – hence the above questioning. Should I start making bids now, at what price, or wait? I would be very grateful for any constructive advice regarding the current status on the bidding sites like Priceline.

Thank you.

6. Re: What would your choice be? …and why?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2011, 05:18