We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quesnel - Restaurant Suggestion Please

Parksville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Quesnel - Restaurant Suggestion Please

Looking for a recommendation for dinner next weekend. Something downtown and with great food - not pizza/burgers or Chinese, please!

Thanks

Robinsegg

Parksville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quesnel - Restaurant Suggestion Please

Bumping this VERY important question :-)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quesnel - Restaurant Suggestion Please

My information is fairly old, I'm afraid. We ate dinner in Quesnel about three years ago (May 2007). It was a Greek place, either along Highway 97 in the main part of town, or the parallel street behind. I remember it as being quite good, although quite expensive (when compared with Greek restaurants in Metro Vancouver). From the TA list, there appears to be a restaurant called Ulysses. It might have been that one. However, three years later, I cannot vouch for the current quality. Wish I could be more help. (On the other hand, I do know that, as of last fall, Granville Coffee was still making really good sandwiches. However, that is not what you are looking for.)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quesnel - Restaurant Suggestion Please

Oops, didn't get back fast enough to edit. However, you may also want to try posting your question on -

www.chowhound.com

Someone from among all those "foodies" may know about Quesnel restaurants.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
61,578 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quesnel - Restaurant Suggestion Please

Yes, where the stomach is concerned ..... :-)

yelp.ca has pizza and chinese.

I've just gone on hellobc.com and looked at Quesnel dining. It looks like some choice. I think this link will come through - www.hellobc.com/en-CA/Dining/Quesnel.htm

Parksville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quesnel - Restaurant Suggestion Please

Thanks, Mufti and Itchy. I'll report back after the August 1 long weekend. :-)

Sechelt, BC
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
3,133 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Quesnel - Restaurant Suggestion Please

Hi Robin

It has been a few years since we took a drive up there too. Dining options in the area are few but here are a couple of places we always seem to eat at.

We like the River Rock Restaurant - not quite in the downtown area but just over the Moffat bridge which gives the property a very nice view overlooking the bridge and the Fraser River. It is pub style food. Nothing stands out in my mind as totally memorable from the menu but the view and food was the best we found in the area.

Ulysses is downtown and was good too - of course Greek theme and food. Good - not great. Last time we were there they set the tables with paper placemats and the decor was very dated.

Mr. Mike’s West Coast Grill is another good spot downtown. Our experience there was hit or miss. When it was good it was good - food and service. When it was bad - it sucked!

Way out of the downtown area is Shark’s Club (up on hwy 97 next to the Sandman Inn). We eat there a lot.

Even though you are not looking for burgers - just in case you find yourselves around town at lunch time the best burgers in the area can be found at the Cariboo Hotel. Yum Yum - delicious.

Parksville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quesnel - Restaurant Suggestion Please

Thanks bc4me. I am becoming more and more appreciative of the dining options here in our little town of Smithers!

Parksville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quesnel - Restaurant Suggestion Please

In a nutshell

we tried the River Rock pub for dinner, but it was Friday night and they were under-staffed and the service was dismal - we ended up leaving before our dinner order was taken. Ended up at the Wee Chippie, where the fish and chips are as good as everyone says they are (but portions huge, we should have shared one dinner!) Coffee in the afternoon and a breakfast at Granville's which we both highly recommend.

Thanks, everyone, for your ideas.

Sechelt, BC
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
3,133 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Quesnel - Restaurant Suggestion Please

Thanks for the update Robin. We are actually discussing taking a drive up to the Anaheim area in September and may drive thru Quesnel to see old friends and take in the fall fair. Too bad the River Rock had no staff - that sucks.

Where is the Wee Chippie? Is it only fish and chips?

Parksville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Quesnel - Restaurant Suggestion Please

Hi, bc4me

the Wee Chippie is just fish and chips, and meat pies - very English that way. It's on the "highway" as you drive through town - next door to the Grace Inn. Official address would be Carson - just after you turn off of Front Street as you are coming in from the South. I think Granville's coffee would be a good place for lunch, and if we were to go back, we'd probably try Ulysses (completely remodelled inside since you were there) and the Shark's Club. I posted a review of the Grace Inn - stay with your friends if you can! :-)