We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traffic court in US can i still go to Canada?

Which British Columbia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
trq
Dubai, United Arab...
2 posts
Save Topic
traffic court in US can i still go to Canada?

Hi

When i was visiting US last year, i had a traffic ticket and i was supposed to go to court for that.

i missed the court day so they issued an arrest warrant for me.

Can i still visit Canada with no problem?

thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,625 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: traffic court in US can i still go to Canada?

Canada and US are two separate countries. We have our own laws ..... and traffic tickets!

What will happen, if you happen to fly OVER American airspace on your way to Canada, is that your name will be submitted by your airline to the USA Security people. They will then check you out on their list of people they don't like before the plane takes off. If they have a problem with you, they will not let you on the plane. That's what they do with everyone who wants to fly over their airspace.

You might not want to land in the US though.

trq
Dubai, United Arab...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: traffic court in US can i still go to Canada?

hi

thanks for responding and for your helpful info.

i was worried that i might be arrested, not such a good thing on a vacation, because one of my friends told me that if someone is wanted in US he can be arrested when entering Canada as well.

thanks again

Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: traffic court in US can i still go to Canada?

In theory you could easily be arrested in Canada if the US asks for an extradition request. Same as that movie director in Switzerland, Roman Polanski. However a traffic ticket for speeding is not likely to red flag you, but an arrest warrant would seem to indicate you may have greater problems than a speeding ticket.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,590 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: traffic court in US can i still go to Canada?

Hhhmmm. I tend to agree with you wrldtvler.

calgary
Level Contributor
3,972 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: traffic court in US can i still go to Canada?

Just to let you know that citizens from the USA that have criminal records are not allowed into Canada. You might have a big problem. This is probably something you should get taken care of so that you don't have problems travelling the rest of your life.

6. Re: traffic court in US can i still go to Canada?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2011, 06:52