We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bella Coola to Williams Lake

Which British Columbia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Barnard Castle...
Level Contributor
239 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Bella Coola to Williams Lake

Well, following the good feedback we got in an earlier topic, we've decided to do Port Hardy to Bella Coola (and pack our sleeping bags for the boat!) rather than go via PG. Then on to Jasper.

So, the next question is, can anyone recommend a good place to stop East of Bella Coola (assuming we set off after breakfast). Williams Lake seems a bit far for one day (and the fact that it supposedly has BCs highest crime rate isn't very reassuring ;-).

Thanks in advance.

Brian

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,126 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bella Coola to Williams Lake

Tatla Lake would be a decent midpoint. There are also good options a bit off the beaten path at the north end of Chilko Lake.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,484 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bella Coola to Williams Lake

My friends in Williams Lake keep a boat in Bella Coola - I'm sure they've said its only about three hours to get out there. You'll want more time for the trip to enjoy the drive, but I would expect that if you leave after breakfast, you'll be in Williams Lake for a late lunch and you can head on for Quesnel, which would put you ready to head in to Barkerville the next day. It's pretty driving up the 97, but not too many stops of note, so it is a quick drive.

I'll agree that Williams Lake isn't much of a town, but I wouldn't be at all concerned about staying there if you decide to keep it to that. They have BC's largest stampede the last weekend of June, which is a blast and worth a visit if you are traveling at that time of year.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,484 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bella Coola to Williams Lake

Ok, well, I didn't trust my memory and so double checked and Google maps puts it at 7.5 hrs - further than I thought, but still doable for one day.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,573 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bella Coola to Williams Lake

There are some great places to stop...look at either Stewart's Lodge in Nimpo Lake or there's a B&B there that got great reviews from a traveller last year (I'm sure he did a trip report about that drive as he did it from Jasper down to Bella Coola.)

I'll try to find the link or the b&b name...

Tatla Lake also has a small restaurant and 3 cabins attached..we had a very nice lunch there last year.

You could do the drive in one day but IMO

you'd be missing a lot..even with the fires in the area there is still lots to see . From Bella Coola up to Nimpo is about 1 1/2 to 2 hours...then Nimpo to Wiliams Lake is definitely 5 hours ( have done it many times.. got speeding ticket trying to do if faster last year ;) )

places to stop include Farwell Canyon and Bull Canyon.

be sure to watch for bears on the Freedom Highway ( the road from the bottom of the canyon up to the Chilcotin Plateau) we always see them here.

Another spectacular thing to do is stop at Stewart's Lodge and go for a flightseeing tour (they have small float planes and do wonderful tours)..again I think there was a recent review of this..the flight over Hunlen Falls is absolutely not to be missed.

Edited: 02 September 2010, 17:48
Barnard Castle...
Level Contributor
239 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bella Coola to Williams Lake

Yeah, and given that I'd be going real slow for the first part <g>, and will no doubt want to stop to look at scenery, I think a stop at Tatla Lake or somewhere else would be best. Any suggestions apart from Tatla Lake and Chilko Lake?

Brian

Edit: Oops, crossed with #4. Thanks, I'll investigate those as well.

Edited: 02 September 2010, 17:59
6. Re: Bella Coola to Williams Lake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 September 2010, 13:13
Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,573 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bella Coola to Williams Lake

The b&b in Nimpo is A&J b&b

Barnard Castle...
Level Contributor
239 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bella Coola to Williams Lake

Thanks traveller47.

I found their website and it looks really nice. No mention or reports that I could find here on TA though ...

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,573 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bella Coola to Williams Lake

Here is a link to the trip report..from Aug 31 2009

for some reason it doesn't seem to be coming up when I put trip report in the search box but I remembered the posters id.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g153339-i49-k30637…

Salmon Arm, Canada
Level Contributor
1,762 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Bella Coola to Williams Lake

We just returned from Tatla Lake on Tuesday. The fishing was slow but my wife caught three huge rainbow on Clearwater Lake just east of Nimpo. If you decide to stop for a night, try the fishing, it is always good this time of year. The weather was up and down but still nice. It is an easy drive in one day from Bella Coola to Williams Lake but lots to see if you stop for a night. Watch for the paving crew around Redstone and Alexis Creek.