We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice please on 2 routes to the Rockies

Which British Columbia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
34 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Advice please on 2 routes to the Rockies

Thought i had everything sorted but our friends can only do 2 weeks now, so have to alter our itinerary for the first half of our holiday. (Friends will fly home from Calgary and we will drive back to Vancouver through the Kootenays & Okanagan).

Have a choice between: Route 1) Vancouver-Chase/Revelstoke area-Lake Louise-Jasper-Banff-Calgary

or

Route 2) Vancouver-Clearwater-Jasper-Banff-Calgar.

I would prefer the first route so we travel through Glacier NP and we also do the Icefields Parkway both ways, but my husband is saying we save a bit of time doing Route 2 and he has heard that is also very picturesque.

We realize it is a matter of opinion, but any views/opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

ps have also posted this in Alberta forum

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,330 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice please on 2 routes to the Rockies

My vote is for Route 1. But it is true that any route in and around and toward the Rockies will be picturesque.

There is the bonus of the Railway history at Revelstoke, Craigellachie to the west and the Spiral tunnels to the east near Field. That's for when you get tired of the scenery and need a break!! The awareness that you can then do the IP both ways is perfect and a definite plus.

However, you might consider doing the hour's drive west of Jasper on Hwy 16 to Mount Robson. It is just under 4000 m and is the highest peak in the Cdn Rockies.

Sechelt, BC
Level Contributor
746 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice please on 2 routes to the Rockies

I like option 2 - it allows you to see Wells Gray Provincial Park and Mt Robson Provincial Park. And you only mention Lake Louise in Option 1 but Lake Louise is doable in Option 2 between Jasper and Banff.

3. Re: Advice please on 2 routes to the Rockies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 September 2010, 16:05
Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,363 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice please on 2 routes to the Rockies

I also vote for option 1. Why? Because as magnificent as Mt Robson is when you approach the Rockies from the west via hwy 1 you have an unmatched vista...I agree do a trip out of Jasper over to Mt Robson. Yes the drive to Jasper via Clearwater is shorter..BUT the reason is you are into more mountains when you drive via Revelstoke and Golden. Not sure that I'd pick Chase as a stopping point..imo Revelstoke would suit better as Chase is only about 3.5 hours out of Vancouver. Revelstoke will put you into the mountains and the parks.

We drive option 2 every year to get back to the prairies..because it's faster, less tourists, fewer mountains...not because it's more scenic..if you had a very limited time and couldn't do the ice fields parkway each direction then I'd do option 2 but driving the parkway north and then south will be one of your favorite memories of your trip and you'll realize why it's so highly recommended.

Stick to option 1 especially as your friends will be missing out on your return through Kootenays and Okanagan!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
34 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice please on 2 routes to the Rockies

Thank you for all your help and advice. Will go for the Revelstoke route this time. So will have an overnight stop just outside Revelstoke (which will be a longish drive from Vancouver but we have 2 drivers), 2 nights Lake Louise, 3 nights Jasper, 2 or 3 nights Banff and 2 or 3 nights Calgary for the Stampede.

We will take a week or so going back to Vancouver via the southern route so Wells Gray will have to wait for another time, but whilst in Jasper for 2 days may do Robson instead of Miett Hot Springs and do the Hot Springs near Nakusp on the way back to Vancouver.

Again - many thanks for your help.

Our route is now clear in my head, so we just have to get our heads around getting the best seating for the Stampede, book accommodation, and then just sit back and look forward to next July

6. Re: Advice please on 2 routes to the Rockies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2011, 05:33