We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fraserway RV rental

Which British Columbia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scotland
Level Contributor
186 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Fraserway RV rental

Just returned from an amazing 3 week tour of BC and Washington state. We arranged our RV rental in the UK with motorhomebookers.co.uk and were very happy with all the arrangements - everything was as stated in the rental agreement and there were no extra charges to be added at the rental depot. We booked an all inclusive package with Fraserway in Delta, Vancouver, and found them on the whole to be good. From collection at our hotel to actually leaving their depot took just over an hour (this included the comprehensive operational instructions) and similarily the drop off procedure was quick and easy. We did have a bit of a problem with the vehicle about a week into the hire - Saturday night of labour day weekend! - and though we were still able to drive on safely it was a bit noisy and irritating. We phoned Fraserway out of hours assistance and were advised that nothing could be done till after the holiday weekend and that we should phone back Tuesday AM. We weren't overly happy with this but despite our protest had little choice but to drive on. The problem wasn't actually fixed until the Thursday - partly due to our location at the time and the lack of service agents in the vicinity. The staff at Les Schwab in Anacortes were amazing - they were obviously very busy but still attended to us immediately and within an hour we were back on the road. We were compensated for our inconvenience and the charge for the extra 100kms we did was waived. Despite the problem we would probably still book with Fraserway again - the RV was clean and well equipped and the calls we made to the Vancouver depot were all dealt with efficiently-they always called us back when they said they would. My only worry is what would have happened if we'd had a major breakdown on the holiday weekend???? I wonder how other rental companies have dealt with it?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,883 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fraserway RV rental

It's good to hear that Fraserway has again lived up to its reputation. What needed to be fixed?

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Fraserway RV rental

Please exercise caution when renting from Fraserway Vancouver BC Canada. We definately would NOT recomend them due to a host of problems with the vehicle; the manner in which they approach repairs and assistance; their attitude when finalising the account! To sum up our experience with Fraserway in one word - APPALLING.

Vancouver, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Fraserway RV rental

My wife and family rented with Fraserway RV last summer and are doing so again this year. Ours was a very good experience and their service was IMPECCABLE. I had no trouble with the equipment or with any staff. Everything was well explained to me, and I was taken care of very professionally. I've spoken with many people who also rented from them and they all give high ratings to the organization. I think some people's expectations are over-inflated if they think this company's service was appalling. I think they do an excellent job. I've spoken to many other campers on our travels and asked about Fraserway they all offer the same sentiment - FANTASTIC! I HIGHLY recommend them.

4. Re: Fraserway RV rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 May 2011, 00:35
Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fraserway RV rental

Ok, I am going to take the time to outline our experience with Fraserway just so there is no misunderstanding how this organisation operates. Initially they were polite enough as we were. The vehicle we hired was driven 80kms to our first campground. It failed the next morning when we started it. Their Service manager suggested that we put fuel in it to see if the fuel gague was faulty. We explained we were not in the vicinity of a gas station however he persisted and suggested that we ask the camp ground owners to drive us to a gas station. We refused to do this and suggested that he contact their road service. His response was that they dont have one!

He eventually got back to us as we patiently waited when we should have been sking. The tow truck that they had organised turned up and towed the vehicle 100kms back to the nearest Ford dealer. The dealer knew nothing about the breakdown or the vehicle. We again called Fraserway and this is when the Service manager became hostile. He accused us of instructing the driver to tow the vehicle. We knew nothing about the arrangement and were totally at the mercy of Fraserway and the driver.

Fraserway were not interested in the fact that we were stranded without a vehicle and only after complaining loudly they offered to get a replacement vehicle to us later that afternoon. Once we changed vehicles we set off again to the same RV park. On arrival and set up we established the repacement vehicle had no 110volt mains power. The hot water was not hot. To top this off the following morning after using the luke warm shower, the van flooded with water from a leaking shower.

After speaking with the General manager / Director they arranged to deliver a different replacement vehicle. This vehicle worked well and we then proceeded on our two week vacation / sking trip of BC and Alberta.

On our return Fraserway showed their true colours. The assistant was unable to explain how the extra kilometer charge was calculated and had to refer it to the same Customer Service manager. He then informed us we would have to just pay it with no satisfactory explanation. To our horror he further stated that we were being charged for the total repair cost of both vehicles along with the associated costs in freighting the vehicles as he claimed the breakdown was our fault. He further alledged that we damaged the vehicle either intentionally or accidently. We refuted such a ludicrous allegation.

The worst part of this situation was that this persons approach was appalling; his attitude authoritarian and his demeanour was shameful. They charged our credit card for the excess kilometres and the complete repair cost of one vehicle including other associated charges relating to the initial breakdown.

Even though we initially paid several hundred dollars extra to reduce the insurance damage wavier excess from $7500 to $500 they told us that this type of damage was not covered by the insurance. On our return home and after reading the insurance contract in detail it was very clear that what they were claiming was damage versus breakdown was covered. (water in fuel)

After many hour of communication and commencing legal action via Canadian small claims they agreed to refund part of the sum charged.

We are of the opinion that the Customer service Manager /Breakdown coordinator had his own agenda. To this day we do not understand why we were treated this way.

We have told many people of our experience and we will never deal with this company again.

Vancouver, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Fraserway RV rental

We rented from this company a while back and were very impressed with their service. Despite a technical problem during the first week of our trip (complete engine failure in Jasper on a brand new vehicle), we would rent from them again for sure. When we called Fraserway to report the engine failure, a tow truck was arranged immediately and once it was clear that nothing could be done on the spot, the customer service rep at Fraserway arranged a hotel room in Jasper for the night until we had our replacement vehicle the next morning. Everything went totally smoothly and we were compensated very fairly for the lost day. The staff was very helpful and was always a step ahead, we didn't have to worry at any time.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fraserway RV rental

We also rented a truck-camper from this company very recently and were very impressed with their customer service initially. They were extremely helpful over the phone when we inquired about a rental vehicle, informative during pick-up and orientation, and very friendly and full of hospitality at the time of _initial_ drop-off. Things later became contentious however when it came to settling up for a bit of damage we had incurred after inadvertently rubbing the camper edge against a low overhanging branch on the day of pick up. I naively agreed to pay a lump sum of cash for a mere estimate of the damage, which had been put together internally by Fraserway RV themselves. I was later informed by my automobile insurer (ICBC) that my Road Star policy would cover this damage and that it was not appropriate for the company to have made me pay for this myself, let alone any assessment based on a mere estimate from internal personnel. We have since contacted Fraserway RV about this inappropriate way that they handled this, yet they have not been forthcoming yet about refunding our payment. This is despite the fact that our automobile insurer has informed them that they will indeed cover the costs of the repairs for us (minus our deductible) pending inspection and confirmation of the damage by their own estimator.

Finally, Fraserway RV also dinged me for the cost (albeit a minor one) of replacing a clearance light that they knew was _already_ damaged prior to us picking the vehicle up. Again, that additional cost was menial, but the principle of the matter (i.e., charging someone else for repair of a pre-existing bit of damage) is morally disturbing in retrospect.

Overall, I'm sorry that an otherwise pleasant experience, initially, with this company is now appearing to end on such a contentious note. Really, the customer service initially was wonderful. I hate to think that it was all a mere front for an unruly operations manager and/or business owner behind the scenes. Presently, our insurance claim is still being sorted out and therefore we've yet to find out whether or not we'll be pursuing legal action to get our full damage payment back from this company. In the meantime, I plan to update this review as our case progresses. Until then, I would suggest that renters beware, and be aware, of what your personal financial obligation will (or should) be in the remote event that you incur an accident while renting from this company.

Shelburne, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Fraserway RV rental

They manufacture their own child seat mounts, (plywood and 1x1 finger-jointed pine) I spoke with MTO about it, they said although not yet legislated against, it would almost certainty hurt a child relying on it in a collision, Fraser way in Toronto tried to BS their way out of it. All other aspects of our two week trip with their rv were fine. But I would never put a capsule or child seat in one.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fraserway RV rental

Just a follow-up note to my original post of August 28, 2012. Fraserview RV eventually returned my earlier lump sum payment in full, but only well-after getting confirmation from my automobile insurer of my personal coverage for the claim. I do intend to use this operator again in the future, but will be sure to clarify in advance what the expected protocol will be in the (exceedingly) remote event that an accident were to happen again.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,883 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fraserway RV rental

That was some hoop you had to go through. Glad it was resolved for you.