We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 day return rv trip thru the rockies

Which British Columbia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
bulli
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
7 day return rv trip thru the rockies

hi

we are hiring a rv in vancouver for 9 nights and would like to travel thru the rockies and return to spend 1 night in vancouver, could anyone suggest some routes to take to see the best of the rockies in this short time span . i have been looking at some of the circle routes as well ,but would just be interested in some other ideas. we are picking up the rv in vancouver on 4th may .

thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,958 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 day return rv trip thru the rockies

There is a great article in the top right corner of this page, under Top Questions. There are 3 possible routes across BC. Once you are in the Rockies there is basically one highway between Banff and Jasper. But getting there from the coast has more variety.

Consider either the Okanagan region (Osoyoos - Vernon) or the Kootenay Lake region (castlegar - Nelson - Balfour (ferry) Kootenay Bay and down to Creston.

There is another thread with good information on it nearby by "parraboy" called "Road Trip Vancouver to Calgary." Give it a read over, as well.

Our online tourist website which is really good, is www.hellobc.com which will describe what there is to do in all regions of the province.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,893 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 day return rv trip thru the rockies

you have two days going and two days coming back so that doesn't leave a whole lot of sightseeing time. Have you considered a one way Vanc to Calgary? It would seem to give you more time in the rockies.

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
551 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 day return rv trip thru the rockies

Early May could still have snow in parts of the rockies, camping will be cool to cold. Expect some slower travel.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,414 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 day return rv trip thru the rockies

Good catch, Mooseboy - the precise dates didn't register when I read the question. Cool weather camping is not a problem with warm sleeping bags and a heater in an RV, but the camping season doesn't really start until the May long weekend (May 23rd is the holiday in 2011, weekend beginning May 20) and there will not be very many campgrounds open in the national parks in the Rockies yet in the first week or two of May, nor likely in many other areas either. Here is the campground list for Jasper National Park - it hasn't yet been updated for 2011 (these are 2010 dates) but there is usually only one campground open until the long weekend, when several more open. So rather than "winging it", you will want to plan your itinerary carefully and check ahead for where there are campgrounds open.

bulli
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 day return rv trip thru the rockies

thanks everyone as usual great support from you guys . we are locked into the dates that i gave as work commitments at home are deciding our travel dates . i will check on the camping accomodation as advised ,but we are still undecided about which route to take ,it will be one of the circle routes that we have been looking at which was also suggested by mufti . the routes are from osoyoos up to revelstoke fairmont creston and return to osoyoos or cache creek to prince george valemont kamloops and cache creek ,which would give us the best views of the rockies . any info is really appreciated ,when i have sorted this out i will be going onto the alaska site as we are going to there for two weeks as well yahoooooo!!!!!!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,958 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 day return rv trip thru the rockies

Yahooo. .... LOL

Cache Creek, PG, Kamloops are not in the Rockies

To be in the Rockies you need to be pretty much at Mt. Robson then east (Hwy 16) to Jasper. Or you need to be east of Revelstoke (Hwy 1) to Banff. The Icefields Parkway between Banff and Jasper is pure Rockies.

Then if you are planning to go through Fairmont Hot Springs down to Cranbrook, that is all Rockies too. (You mention Fairmont but that is a hotel chain. Fairmont Hot Springs is the town.)

Hwy 1 follows the original CPR Rail lines. There is a lot of railway history in and near Revelstoke.

http://tinyurl.com/269g8mu

Here's the route I like to recommend. It's about 2700 km. You can see having to do the Icefields Parkway twice (a bonus) and you can always drive the hour west of Jasper to see Mt. Robson.

Once you reach Creston, you have two options: 1) Drive north and across Kootenay Lake as outlined on the map or 2) drive from Creston - Castlegar - Osoyoos along Hwy 3. But you would be missing some great scenery and attractions if you missed Nelson.

Edit: I've just taken a peek one of your other posts and you mention history. Consider visiting Ft. Steele near Cranbrook. It's an "original" North West Mounted Police post and you can see a lot of historical artifacts from the time the west of Canada was settled. I'll post the link for you when I find it.

Edited: 19 November 2010, 03:59
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,484 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 day return rv trip thru the rockies

We did a 9-day trip last summer. In early May, ditch the RV and go with hotel/motels. It will still be shoulder season, so you should get some reasonable prices on accommodation, but the price of gas/petrol doesn't change all that much. Camping tends to be $30 - $50 a night anyway.

Here's what we did. My husband complained because it was such a rush.

2 Nights Clearwater, to give one full day to visit Wells Gray Provincial Park

1 Night Mt. Robson, but you could skip this stop and drive through to

3 nights Jasper, giving two full days to see Maligne Canyon, Maligne Lake, Mt Edith Cavell, and the hot springs.

1 Night camping on the Icefields Parkway, giving two days to make that spectacular drive, as well as giving you a chance to pick the best weather. There is accommodations as Saskatuwan Crossing and the Columbia Icefields if you ditch the RV (which you should).

2 nights Revelstoke. We didn't have time for Banff on this trip. Stopped in Field, Glacier National Park, and explored Mt. Revelstoke National Park.

Home.

Given the time of year you are going, you might be well advised to spend time in the Okanagan rather than following our itinerary, but I thought I would provide it for your consideration. 9 nights gives you very limited time. You are going to have to make some tough decisions.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,958 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 7 day return rv trip thru the rockies

Here it is: http://www.fortsteele.ca/

It's a similar set up to Ballarat and Sovereign Hill for that period. There was gold at FS, and it was a police barracks and post.

Canmore, Alberta
Destination Expert
for Canmore
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 7 day return rv trip thru the rockies

You really do need to get east of Revelstoke as stated to get into the Rocky Mountains. It would be a shame to only come that far and go back, you would have no idea what you are missing. There are many spectacular areas in Canada, but you would be missing one of the places people come from around the world to see.

I would also agree with the suggestion of ditching the RV rental. It is not a cheaper way to go. Some people like to do the RV because they want that experience of staying in the campgrounds and being more with nature, which I totally understand.

As far as the Rocky Mountain portion of the trip you will find that many campgrounds are closed. We may even have snow in some parts still, it will be cooler for sure. As stated above it would be off season rates for accommodation. You might be far better to rent a car and work out your prices just for comparison.

You could even look into getting a cheap flight from Vancouver to Calgary and renting a car there to do your touring of the Rockies, giving you much more time.

Cheers :)

Edited: 19 November 2010, 04:25
Dawson Creek, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 7 day return rv trip thru the rockies

Hello,

You do have some great choices to make. We have done the same thing ourselves. You can fill up on mountains, desert, cattle country, big prairie skies and more mountains!

We love the Frazer Canyon, up through the Caribou then the Pine Pass , can be done in 1 big day of driving or broken up with a night in a campground wherever you feel like calling it a day and up to Dawson Creek the next night. Hang around Dawson Creek for a day or so and get some advance appetizers of your upcoming trip up the Alaska Highway.

From Dawson Creek, a drive down through the breathtaking Rockies in Jasper National Park with the green lakes and breathtaking views and wildlife everywhere!.

Whatever you choose, you will be sure to have a great time! Make sure you let us know what you decided! Bon Voyage!