We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggested Itineries

England
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Suggested Itineries

I would aprreciate advice on suggested visit for July. I have 4 nights in Vancouver, then two nights spare, which I may spend in Victoria before flying out to Calgary for the stampede for 2 nights. I then plan to pick up a hire car in Calgary. I have 4 nights booked in Banff. With another 9 nights at the end to organise around Jasper and the rockies and for the drive back to Vancouver.

The alternative is to leave Victoria towards the end of my holiday and hire a car after the first 4 nights in Vancouver. Drive to Clagary (I have from Thursday mroning to Saturday noon spare). Then 4 nights Banff , 3 nights Jasper and another 2 nights around the rokcies, before flying from Calgary to Victoria for a longer visit to the Island (approx 4 nights).

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Victoria
Victoria
Vancouver Island, Canada
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Banff
Banff
Banff National Park, Canada
Jasper
Jasper
Jasper National Park, Canada
Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
10,234 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggested Itineries

I like option 1 better than 2

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,416 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggested Itineries

Either itinerary works. You can see the highlights of Victoria in 2 days (though some may beg to differ) or you could spend 4 days in Victoria the southern and central parts of Vancouver Island.

If you the 4 day option on Vancouver Island, then visit Victoria, head west to Port Renfrew, over the Harris Main logging road (paved almost all the way, about 5 km of dirt road, though you should note your car rental contract does forbid driving on logging roads) to Lake Cowichan and the rejoin Highway 1 and head north to Nanaimo. Take the ferry back from Departure Bay to Horseshoe Bay and return to YVR.

http://www.circleroute.ca/

www.bcferries.com

www.tourismnanaimo.com

Edited: 13 January 2011, 18:22
Mentioned in this post
Victoria
Victoria
Vancouver Island, Canada
Vancouver Island
Vancouver Island
British Columbia, Canada
Port Renfrew
Port Renfrew
Vancouver Island, Canada
Lake Cowichan
Lake Cowichan
Vancouver Island, Canada
Nanaimo
Nanaimo
Vancouver Island, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
30,057 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggested Itineries

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around your plans here, so permit me to just make sure I have this correct:

Plan A

1 - 4 Vancouver

5-6 Victoria or ?

7-9 Calgary Stampede

10-14 Banff

15-24 Jasper, back to Vancouver

Plan B

1-4 Vancouver

5-6 drive to Calgary

7-9 Calgary Stampede

10 - 14 Banff

15-18 Jasper

19-20 ? and back to Calgary for flight

21-24 Victoria and VI

Ok, what I like about plan A is it gives you lots of time in the Rockies and to really explore the area through the mountains to the coast. Lots to see and do, with plenty of highlights. But I like that Plan B gives you more time on the Island, also lots there.

So! Mountains or coastline? I think Plan A is a bit more efficient, with less jumping around. Both plans would work well, so you'll just have to pick one and go from there. I'm sure you'll be happy either way.

Edited: 13 January 2011, 19:33
Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Victoria
Victoria
Vancouver Island, Canada
Jasper
Jasper
Jasper National Park, Canada
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggested Itineries

BuccaneerDave's plan for the Island is good... the circle tour road is actually all paved now Dave, so no worries about a rental car.

I'm also thinking plan A is the better one. If you took the seaplane from Vancouver to Victoria would add a little extra cost but besides saving some time doing the ferry thing, you might find that perspective rather interesting.

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Victoria
Victoria
Vancouver Island, Canada
5. Re: Suggested Itineries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2012, 05:30