We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancouver to Calgary

Bath
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Vancouver to Calgary

We have a holiday booked for June/July with Vancouver and Calgary ends covered. However the 9 days inbetween we would appreciate suggestions for The Rockies: where's reasonable to stay and for how long, some day hiking suggestions, alone or organised and how changeable is the weather. We may include a stop in Penticton and would like to do the ice fields. We have a car for those 9 days. I see it gets busy for 1st July so would probably book accomodation now. Does this seem reasonable?

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
416 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vancouver to Calgary

I have only done the Rockies drive once and so I cannot comment much on hiking suggestions or the best locations to stay. However, I know that there are a lot of Travelodge locations in BC and Alberta along the Rockies route and they are definitely an affordable and clean place to stay. It's best to try and stick with one brand of hotel so that you can collect points and hopefully have enough to collect a reward by the end of your trip.

Check out www.travelodge.ca for a list of locations. You'll definitely find better priced hotels outside of the large city centres and if you do need to be in a major city centre - stay suburban to save money.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
58,301 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vancouver to Calgary

Welcome to the forum tonyandliz.

With 9 days between Vancouver and Calgary you have some lovely time to play with.

At the top right of this forum page, you will find Top Questions. Have a look through this list of most commonly asked questions. There is one particularly about driving between Calgary and Vancouver which discusses 3 route options.

You would very likely want to consider 3-4 nights in Jasper and 3-4 nights in Banff, which would leave 3 days to flex your road trip.

One area to consider is the Thompson-Okanagan, the area where Penticton, Osoyoos, Kelowna, Vernon are located. Lots of attractions and things to do there.

Another route might be 2-3 overnights along Hwy 3 to Cranbrook (Kootenay region) and then north to Banff, perhaps dropping in to the Nelson area on the way. Possible Vancouver - Osoyoos - Nelson - Cranbrook/Invermere/Radium Hot Springs - Banff.

This route map will show you driving times and distances along Hwy 3:

http://tinyurl.com/4qkr7lb

www.hellobc.com

For your questions about the Rockies specifically, where to stay, for how long, hiking suggestions, you would be best to post those questions on the Canadian Rockies Forum.

Edited: 03 March 2011, 21:23
Kootenays, British...
Level Contributor
405 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vancouver to Calgary

I'd suggest that from Penticton you consider continuing across Hwy 3 and drop down to Waterton Lakes National Park if you really want to get a completely different experience. Banff is an incredibly beautiful area but in early July will be extremely crowded.

From Waterton you can turn back up the Rocky Mountain trench and head up the Icefields parkway. Enjoy the high plateau through the trench and stop and look around at the wildlife in the alpine marsh areas on the way. There are also some lesser known hotsprings in the area.

Bath
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vancouver to Calgary

Thankyou for your ideas. Will need to spend some time pouring over a map.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
58,301 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vancouver to Calgary

I don't think anyone has mentioned Google maps.

maps.google.com

This will help greatly in finding driving routes, distances and driving time.

For example:

http://tinyurl.com/628gtbc

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,200 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vancouver to Calgary

Good plan. Start with the maps (online or the good old paper versions if you have them) and plan a general route. You'll need to figure out how much driving you want to do in one day, if you want to drive every day, and what your priorities are. Then take a stab at a route and itinerary.

Honestly, you can't go too far wrong, you really can't. It's all worthwhile, which ever way you go. Once you have a basic plan in place, we can help you with the fine tuning. Things like: whether you've taken on too much driving in a day, where the best places are to stop and to overnight, and where you might want to spend two nights to give you time to enjoy the place a bit more.

Its also worth browsing back through this forum list for past topics, or just run a search (above). This is a VERY well traveled tourist route, and much discussed on this forum. Most of the main questions have been answered numerous times. But don't worry, we'll answer them again, just for you. :>

Bath
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vancouver to Calgary

Yes, maps. I've got an International Travel Maps 1:2,600,00 which covers a vast area. I'm a bit analogue as far as maps are concerned, you get a better sense of where everywhere is on paper. I get a bit frustrated with all the scrolling on google et al. Any suggestions for BC and Alberta areas? looking on Amazon it's not always clear what language the maps are in.

Thanks for the different ideas.

Would like any recommendations any one has on organised day hiking.

8. Re: Vancouver to Calgary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 12:19