We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

reasonable accomadation vancouver island

Which British Columbia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
reasonable accomadation vancouver island

can anyone suggest reasonable priced accomodation on vancouver island, and vancouver city as well, i will be arriving end of june from uk and plan to be in th area for around a week

Edited: 04 April 2011, 20:31
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,396 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: reasonable accomadation vancouver island

Perhaps you could be more specific-Vancouver Island is 300 miles long and 50 wide-Metro Vancouver is a city of over 2 million souls.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,495 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: reasonable accomadation vancouver island

HI killyken and welcome to Trip Advisor. We're just citizen's like you, so you're going to have to do some leg work here before we can really help you out at all. Sam is spot on that you need to be a lot more specific in your information regarding where you intend to stay and what you might define as "reasonable". Trip Advisor has a very good search function. You will probably find your question has been asked and answered by someone else, so it's worth browsing few some prior posts to see what you can dig up.

Once you have a rough idea what you are hoping to do, post here with an itinerary and we'll hash through it and give you some food for thought before you finalize everything.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,009 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: reasonable accomadation vancouver island

Hi killyken ~ It's nice to see you here on the forum.

I can give you a heads up for some things based on what you have said.

First heads up is that in one week you will probably be able to do Vancouver (3 nights) and Victoria (2 nights) or Victoria (2 nights) and the west coast or north coast of Vancouver Island (3 nights) with a tiny bit of flex on the other 2 nights. Distances are a factor for a week's visit.

It takes about 4 hours to travel by land/ferry between Vancouver and Victoria. It takes about 7 hours to travel from Victoria at the south end of VI to the north end.

Second heads up is Friday July 1st is Canada Day and Monday July 4th is American Independence Day. School's out on June 30th and this weekend is crazy busy for travel between Vancouver and the Island.

In Vancouver, you might consider the YWCA Hotel which is centrally located downtown and good value. At the moment it is #26 on the Vancouver Hotels listings here on TA:

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g154943-Vancouver_Bri…

www.ywcahotel.com/content/OUR_HOTEL/311/41/0

You might also do a bit of reading on the forums. For example, the Vancouver Forum, Victoria Forum and Vancouver Island Forum. On each forum you will find to the left sidebar, a category called "Things to Do" as well as "Travel Guide." At the top right of each forum you will find a box headed "More about ....." and Top Questions within that box.

Also you might be interested in having a look at www.hellobc.com which is our very good online tourist information "office."

When you come back to post a question, please consider letting us know what kinds of things you are interested in, whether you will rent a car or not, and if possible what kind of hotels you would be interested in (amenities, budget, style - boutique hotel? B&B? 3*? 4*?)

Have you worked with Google Maps at all? Here's the version for Vancouver. If you know it, you're all set, if not, you can get directions, routes to take and time involved. You can set the icon for car, transit, or walking. Here's the route to Victoria, for example, from Vancouver by car or coach.

http://tinyurl.com/3jbuyyy

www.pacificcoach.com

www.bcferries.com

Look forward to hearing back from you for more ideas.

Edited: 05 April 2011, 00:39
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,009 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: reasonable accomadation vancouver island

Oh, and last but not least, look to the top of the main page on the British Columbia forum to find the Sticky (push pin) for Trip Report Collection. You will find peoples' trip reports for various itineraries in BC. They can be very helpful in planning your own trip.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154922-i80-k42028…

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: reasonable accomadation vancouver island

thanks for all this, bit new to this and didnt realise what i could find out for myself. I was planning 2 nights in vancouver to see the main sites, and 3 on vancouver island. main interest is wildlife veiwing and i would also like to get a fishing trip in. i am not set to an exact timetable. i was working roughly on 1 week in BC, then heading to yellowstone for a week then up to alberta finnishing in calgary. i would like to stay in accomadation around £100 of $140

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,416 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: reasonable accomadation vancouver island

Why go all the way to Yellowstone, when you have the national parks of the Canadian Rockies directly in your route? Many people do the route from Vancouver to Calgary via the Rockies. The national parks - Banff, Jasper, Yoho and Kootenay, and the adjacent provincial parks are a UNESCO World Heritage site, and the drive from Jasper to Lake Louise on the Icefields Parkway has been rated by National Geographic as one of "Twenty Drives of a Lifetime".

7. Re: reasonable accomadation vancouver island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 09:22