We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire insurance

Which British Columbia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Car Hire insurance

We are hiring a vehicle in Canada, and understand that the hire vehicle is covered by the LDW insurance (included in the base hire charge).

However, there is no mention of coverage for the "other vehicle" if involved in an accident.

Are we liable?

The other "unknown" is the excess.....trying to find that out is like "pulling teeth".

Has anyone experienced the same issues.

Thanks for your help

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,893 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire insurance

you need to check with your car insurance firm at home and also your credit card provider. Some provide this coverage as secondary and other may provide it as primary. I also have travel insurance that covers rental cars as primary anywhere in the world. Your smart to check this out first. Car rentals tend to be very aggressive about telling you you MUST buy their coverage so unless you know for sure it s confusing.

Also please don't buy the prepaid fuel option. Of course you pay for the whole tank of gas and you return it with a partial tank and your paying for it. They make it sound like your saving $ but your not.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,854 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire insurance

own auto or credit card insurance coverage on rental cars is available only if your insurance/card is provided by North American insurers/banks. Of course you should always check with your own bank/insurer to confirm.

LDW is "included in the base hire charge" only if you pay the much higher rate for foreigners. In any event, it doesn't really matter, you pay it one way or another.

"other vehicles" coverage (3rd Party Liability) is always included in the rental rate in Canada. The amount covered is the legal minimum(200k in most provinces) unless you use a corporate rate. Some rental agencies may offer optional coverage to increase the amount to 1 million.

"Excess" (deductible) is always zero if you purchase LDW from the rental company. I've never heard of anything but zero. However you are using an "inclusive" rate so I don't know who provides that LDW.

Edited: 10 April 2011, 14:09
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire insurance

Thanks for your responses. Just to clarify, the 3rd party liability coverage, which you have mentioned is always included in the rental rate - because of the amounts you mentioned ($200,000 and $1,000,000), I am wondering if this is personal injury insurance, rather than damage to the other vehicle. Or perhaps it is combined. All rather different to how the rental works here in Australia.

Brisbane Queensland
Level Contributor
18 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire insurance

Hi Bunny

Thanks for posting this, I'm currently researching the same and finding it difficult also. I also think the terminology means different things here in Aus. As for the excess I wanted to know how much it was if you have an accident (usually up to $4000 here in Aus) so I could choose the right travel insurance to cover it, I actually rang the place I'm renting from and there is no excess, if I have an acccident, I'm up for the full price of the car (if the damage is that bad) otherwise just whatever damage is done. This shocked me. I believe it is different in each province though. The one I rang was in Jasper Alberta. Watch also, it seems to be the practice to charge for each additional driver. I'm still looking to see if I can take out some other insurance for the car, otherwise the CDW is an extra $29 per day on top of the rental. Very interested to know how you go.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,854 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Hire insurance

If you don't buy LDW from the rental place, you pay for every cent of damage to the rental car(unless using some corporate plans). If you buy LDW, you pay zero for damage caused(under rental terms).

People on the other forums often mention this outfit for alternative to LDW from the rental company. http://www.insurance4carhire.com/ Some lesser known, unscrupulous rental companies do not accept this kind of coverage.

What "3rd parties liability" covers: icbc.com/insurance/insura_getsta_whacov_thpa…

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,854 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Hire insurance

>> if I have an acccident, I'm up for the full price of the car

you must also pay for loss of use on top, so it can be more than the full price of the car (say it takes 2 weeks for the the insurer to decide the car is a total loss).

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Hire insurance

THINK WE SHOULD STAY HOME....only joking.....obviously we need to do more investigating to find out exactly what we are covered for and what we are liable for.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Brisbane Queensland
Level Contributor
18 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Hire insurance

Thanks from me too

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
603 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Hire insurance

We are renting a car in Canada too and I have looked at so many different rental car companies and I ended up going with Avis booked via our Airline. The rate we were quoted was amazingly cheap and then we discovered we weren't covered for any insurance. So I rang Avis in Australia and clarified what I would pay over there and they explained it to me quite well and all the charges etc. Some companies like Driveaway include everything but still found them to be a little bit more expensive and you have to pay for everything before you go.

Check out pickup and drop off destinations. Sometimes when picking up downtown and dropping off at Airport it can cost more? Some companies charge oneway rentals and others don't. You have to read the fine print and ring up or email the company to confirm there policy.

Some credit cards and insurance companies cover you for the Vehicle access if there is one resulting from the car being stolen, crashed or damaged. 1 Cover has a comprehensive policy with $5000 Vehicle excess. They

are under www.comparetravelinsurance.com.au and quite reasonable.

You still would need CDW which is LDW equiv in Canada. This is about $27.00 CAD per day. You won't need personal accident insurance(PAI) or personal effects insurance(PEP) as this would be covered by your travel insurance policy.

Extra driver fee is $10 per day to a maximum $65 for total rental. I read this on most policies.

Ensure your car has unlimited kilometeres. I found Argus car rentals (Hertz) wasn't unlimited if you went to Jasper?

Read the fine print.

Also Visa Debit travel cards ie: Anz or Travelex aren't accepted to leave as a guarantee but can be used for payment on return.

Car seats or Boosters are $$7-10.00 CAD per day for all car companies. If you just need a Booster it maybe cheaper to buy on arrival or better still bring your car seat with you. Some car rental car seats can be a bit revolting.

It's not an easy task and I used to work in international reservations for a car rental company many moons ago and I don't remember it being that tricky.

Good luck

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Hire insurance

Wow, thank you so much for that info......very very much appreciated. We were thinking of Hertz, only from the point of view that there was no $300 drop off (which is Jasper) but.....after your comments, will have to rethink that whole aspect.

IT NEVER USED TO BE THIS HARD, DID IT.

Thanks again, to you and to all other travellers who have helped. Much appreciated.