We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

11 day itinerary for British Columbia and The Rockies

Which British Columbia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ireland
Level Contributor
3 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
11 day itinerary for British Columbia and The Rockies

We are planning a three week trip to canada in May/June with the first week in Vancouver and Vancouver Island. Any suggestions on an itinerary for BC and the Rockies. We have ten day and are flying back from Calgary.

thanks

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,924 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 11 day itinerary for British Columbia and The Rockies

Welcome to the TripAdvisor forums!

The route between Vancouver and Calgary via the Canadian Rocky Mountain parks is a well-travelled and much discussed itinerary here, although because of the geographic scope of it, the information is scattered among many forums. I would suggest browsing recent posts in the following: Canadian Rockies, Alberta, Banff, Jasper, Whistler, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, British Columbia, Kamloops etc. (Also, if you access the forums at, say, the provincial level (British Columbia, and Alberta), you can see all the sub-forums beneath.)

The forum "search" function will bring up loads of useful information. (Look for it just above the list of messages). Also, the TA "Traveler Articles" and "Top Questions" have a lot of helpful info. Go to the TA page for whatever destination you need advice, then look on the left hand side of the page, and you'll see the Traveller Articles, starting with "More on ...", "Before you go", "Things to Do", etc. Top Questions for each destination are found in the top right corner.

Online maps can be very useful in laying out your itinerary - they have "directions" features which will give you mileage and driving times between stops. Try www.mapquest.com or www.maps.google.com . I am also very fond of using Google's satellite and street views to learn about an area before I go.

Online resources that will be useful for the Rockies -

The Jasper and Banff/Lake Louise tourism offices:

www.jasper.travel

www.banfflakelouise.com

Parks Canada: www.pc.gc.ca - pick whichever park you want info for (Banff, Jasper, Yoho & Kootenay; once you are at the park's page, you'll see a menu down the left - choose "Visitor information"). Also, when you enter the park and pay your fee, you will be given an informative booklet that has information for all four parks.

Also, one of the main attractions in the area is the drive from Lake Louise to Jasper on a highway known as the Icefields Parkway - www.icefieldsparkway.ca . Although only about 225 km long, I usually recommend making a full day of it, stopping at the many scenic viewpoints, lakes, waterfalls along the way.

Hope this helps!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,562 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 11 day itinerary for British Columbia and The Rockies

I wonder if you are planning to drive between Vancouver and the Rockies. Just in case you are, there is a good article on this forum under Top Questions (top right box) that gives route options for doing this.

I would also suggest a week for both Vancouver and Vancouver Island will be pushing it a bit. You could sketch in perhaps 3-4 nights in Vancouver, 2 nights in Victoria and perhaps 3-4 nights either on the west coast or on the North Island, depending on your interests. Decisions, decisions.

You may not know that it takes about 4 hours to travel by land/ferry between Vancouver and Victoria, 3.5 hours between Vancouver and Nanaimo. 6 hours between Vancouver and the Tofino area on the west coast of VI.

When you post again, give us an idea of your interests: galleries/museums or hiking/kayaking and/or anything in between.

A very good source of info is our tourist information website www.hellobc.com

Edited: 12 April 2011, 03:31
Ireland
Level Contributor
3 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 11 day itinerary for British Columbia and The Rockies

Thanks for your reply. Yes we are travelling by car and are mainly interested in scenery and good food with some walks. Have 11 nights to make the trip.

England
Level Contributor
33 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 11 day itinerary for British Columbia and The Rockies

this is very useful to us also - but we have got an RV from Vancouver for 19 days and will be flying home from Calgary ( we are firstly taking the train through the rockies from Calgary where we land before spending a week in Vancouver and may take a day trip or two to see a couple of things on the island as we realise its huge - so as we have 19 clear days rather than 10 is there anything else we should think about doing or seeing or spending a bit longer at in addition to the above ?

thanks for any help -you guys are fantastic!

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,576 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 11 day itinerary for British Columbia and The Rockies

Shimmer,

It is not good form to piggy-back another persons thread. People replying to your slightly different question will generate an email back to O/P, and other people who may be able to answer your inquiry may not see it inside this thread.

England
Level Contributor
33 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 11 day itinerary for British Columbia and The Rockies

please accept my apologies I was just so pleased to see this similar thread that I thought that it was ok to come aboard now I know thats not the norm I do consider myself reprimanded and will avoid doing this in future -sorry again !

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,135 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 11 day itinerary for British Columbia and The Rockies

Shimmer No need to apologize.. it's just easier for the OP ((Original Poster) who may have ticked the notify by email box..they will be getting notifications that may not be about their query. Also by starting a new thread you will get answers that are more relevant to your specific travel. If you haven't done it already I'd start a post by saying you have x number of days and want to travel y to z...note that you have an RV time of year you're coming, any special interests etc...we try to be as helpful as possible over here on the BC forum and also the Alberta group are a very helpful bunch...

Again you may have already seen it but on the BC forum there's a link on the right side about driving from Vancouver to Banff..this article describes the various routes, things to see etc.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,562 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 11 day itinerary for British Columbia and The Rockies

No reprimand. Just making sure get the best advice that applies to you.

9. Re: 11 day itinerary for British Columbia and The Rockies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 14:19