We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exploring the Eastern Fraser Valley

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Exploring the Eastern Fraser Valley

We will be dog-sitting in the eastern Fraser Valley for about a week during the summer. In addition to tending to The Dog, we want to take the opportunity to explore the Valley a bit. (We usually just drive through the Valley to reach the Okanagan. So, it's an area of the Lower Mainland that we are not very familiar with.)

Here is a list of possible "things to do/see". Does anyone have any other ideas? How about any favourite restaurants? We would not want to drive any further east than Hope.

Fort Langley

Harrison Hot Springs

Kilby General Store

Westminster Abbey

Clayburn Village

one of the Circle Farm Tours

(www.circlefarmtours.com)

Minter Gardens

Golden Ears Provincial Park

Kanaka Regional Park

Campbell Valley Regional Park

Obviously, we will not do everything over the course of the week. After all the needs of The Dog come first. However, it would be nice to have sort of a "buffet" from which we could choose several day trips over the course of our week "out there".

Many thanks.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,738 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exploring the Eastern Fraser Valley

Have been to Kilby many times... recommend you go for lunch. It's a pleasant stop.

Have also done the Circle Farm tour more than once!

www.circlefarmtour.com/index.php?page_id=13

Farm House Cheese is wonderful.They make a spectacular brie. Kilby and the farm tour combined would make a very pleasant day.

Westminster Abbey could be visited on your way to Golden Ears..another spot right beside Golden Ears that I actually prefer is the UBC Malcolm Knapp Research Forest

www.mkrf.forestry.ubc.ca/general/index.htm

Not sure if Stave Lake and the hydro dam interest you but it's also one of those places that usually gets overlooked.

bchydro.com/community/recreation_areas/stave…

I've been to all the spots on your list except for Clayburn Village, (although I do have some old brick that came from the factory!) and they're all worth a visit. That's a great "buffet" you've lined up. Be sure to come back and do a "trip report"!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,824 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exploring the Eastern Fraser Valley

Stave Lake Dam (BC Hydro) power house - turbines - museum - tour

The Falls Grill @ The Falls golf course, Chilliwack. Not fancy but pleasant location.

http://www.thefalls.com/thefallsgrill.php

bcgolfpages.com/banquets/4343b174bc3004b387d…

Legends Bistro @ Cultus Lake Golf Club. Cultus is good for a snoop too. Really good soup and sandwich for their lunch special there one day last month. I think it was Brie, apple and bacon on raisin bread. A surprisingly good combo. I like this resto better than The Falls.

http://www.golfcultus.com/legends-bistro/

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Exploring the Eastern Fraser Valley

Nothing has been the same since Dinotown closed-I'm still gutted!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
208 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exploring the Eastern Fraser Valley

I highly recommend the Othello Tunnels, which are not too far from Hope:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g181784-d1…

If you're going to Harrison for the day (and the weather is nice), then I'd suggest a picnic at Sasquatch Provincial Park. The walk up to Bridal Veil Falls is also nice, and the view of the falls at the end of the trail is spectacular.

I try to get to Minter Gardens once a year, and when I make the journey out there, I usually eat at the Wildcat Grill, which is just across the road. It's not fancypants, but the food is really good. http://www.wildcatgrill.com/

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Exploring the Eastern Fraser Valley

And of course there's the always sublime Bamboo World!

http://www.bambooworld.com/

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,039 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exploring the Eastern Fraser Valley

I thought the Power House at Stave Lake was a very good museum and worth the drive out. Its so pretty around there. I went up Miracle Valley for the first time on Saturday - what a lovely spot.

Hello! Winery tour! There are at least four wineries in Langley.

http://www.tourism-langley.ca/

Fort Langley is a cute village and is home to the National Historic Site, the Langley Centennial Museum and there's a Farm Machine Museum (or an Agricultural Museum - I forget exactly) all right there. Another thing that's been on my to do list for years is the Aviation Museum at the Langley airport.

The valley is rich in Regional Park destinations, and you've named most of them already, but I'd add Aldergrove Lake to the list. The south side of the park offers some great views over Washington State towards Mount Baker (there's another destination for you) and if you know much about geology, it offers some terrific examples - it was the toe of the glacier at the end of the last ice age. SFU sends its geology classes out here on field trips.

When you visit Kanaka Creek, be aware that the park is in several sections, and, IMO, the best part is Cliff Falls. Also be aware that all parking lots are prone to break ins, so just don't leave anything visible in your car that may tempt someone to smash a window, or they will.

Maple Ridge also has a cute municipal museum. This area is rich in history as the first European settlements were actually in this area and there is still a strong First Nations presence.

Oh, gosh, forgot (oh goodness, Sam - help me spell this one, I'm too lazy to google it tonight) about X'lahatim (so totally wrong), the FN museum in Mission. The English name is Hatzic Rock I think. Some one else will fill in the gaps on that one.

Mission has a good selection of festivals, so keep an eye on the Mission Arts Centre website for info about those.

You'll have a great time!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,039 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Exploring the Eastern Fraser Valley

(lol - Sam, you are on form tonight!)

Rockies BC
Level Contributor
889 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Exploring the Eastern Fraser Valley

I echo Cadenza re the Othello tunnels - and if you are in Maple Ridge and in particular the Webster's Corner area, east-ish of Kanaka Creek, there is Whonnock Lake as well. Gosh you are bringing back memories, my family owned an undeveloped lot out that way more than 40 yrs ago, when it was still called Haney. Kanaka Creek actually ran across our property. There used to be a great European Deli just off the bypass I seem to recall (the last time I was there was about 15 yrs ago so I should look into it to see if it's still there), actually an outlet store at the factory, that would sell wonderful hot Bavarian meatloaf sandwiches (food is pretty much my top priority). You might also like Rolley Lake park. And the grounds of the Abbey are very peaceful with some lovely views.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Exploring the Eastern Fraser Valley

Thanks, everyone. This is all great info. We are really looking forward to our week holidaying in our "backyard". I'll come back on a post a TR on how we do.

(Cheer up, Sam. According to their website, Dinotown is looking for a new location. : ) )

Chilliwack, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Exploring the Eastern Fraser Valley

Just an fyi - as i understand it Xa:ytem in Mission is no longer in operation.