We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first timer in Sunshine Coast and Vancouver Island

Which British Columbia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
dallas
Level Contributor
255 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
first timer in Sunshine Coast and Vancouver Island

My husband and I will be visiting BC area from 7/3-7/10. We will fly into Seattle in the morning on the 3rd and pick up a rental car to drive to Vancouver, and stay overnight there. Since we’ve been to Vancouver quite a few times, we will just pass it through this time.

Can anyone please recommend the best town/area/lodge to as a base for 2 nights on the Sunshine Coast? It will be between 1 night in Vancouver and 3-night in Tofino. We like kayaking, hiking, visiting museum and tasting local delicacies.

Thanks in advance!

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,143 posts
392 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first timer in Sunshine Coast and Vancouver Island

Welcome to the Forum!

Are you looking for a hotel or resort or cabin or B & B in Tofino? What price range?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,773 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first timer in Sunshine Coast and Vancouver Island

Just a heads up on driving time from the Sunshine Coast to Tofino. It takes approx 6 hours, stops extra, from Powell River and approx 7.5 hours, stops extra, from near Madeira Park. I wanted to mention that in case you are planning to drive it in one day.

Sechelt, BC
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
2,923 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: first timer in Sunshine Coast and Vancouver Island

Hi tiger - is your plan to spend 1 night in Vancouver - 2 nights on the Sunshine Coast and then 3 nights in Tofino?

dallas
Level Contributor
255 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first timer in Sunshine Coast and Vancouver Island

I probably didn't state clearly about the plan in my previous post, sorry about the confusion.

The following is my itinerary at the moment:

Day 1 (7/3) arrive at 10am in Seattle, Stay overnight in Vancouver

Day 2 (7/4): drive from Vancouver to Sunshine coast, overnight somewhere in Sunshine coast

Day 3 (7/5): Sunshine coast

Day 4 (7/6): take ferry from Horseshoe bay to Nanaimo OR Powell river to Comox, then drive to Tofino, overnight in Tofino

Day 5 (7/7): Tofino

Day 6 (7/8): Tofino

Day 7 (7/9): drive from Tofino to Victoria, overnight in Victoria

Day 8 (7/10): take ferry from Victoria to Port angeles, drive back to Seattle to catch flight in late evening

I already booked 3-night (7/6-8) stay at Middle Beach Lodge in Tofino, I'm not sure where to stay in Sunshine coast. I'm open to any type of accommodation under $200/night as long as it is clean. And also, which ferry should I take when go to Tofino, Horseshoe bay to Nanaimo OR Powell river to Comox?

Thanks!

dallas
Level Contributor
255 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first timer in Sunshine Coast and Vancouver Island

earls cove and halfmoon bay, which one is a better location for two-day sunshine coast tour?

Sechelt, BC
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
2,923 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: first timer in Sunshine Coast and Vancouver Island

A BC Ferry terminal and a small restaurant/store is all you’ll find at the end of the road in Earls Cove. If you like tranquility - quiet and alone time - you will like Earls Cove. No town or village - just the ferry terminal really. Good hiking and not far from Skookumchuck narrows and Egmont (10-15 minutes).

www.vancouverisland.com/regions/towns/…

Halfmoon Bay attracts more people which mean more services. Close to the town of Sechelt heading south and approx 45-50 minutes to Egmont and Skookumchuck narrows heading north. Good kayaking in and around Secret Cove and Smuggler cove.

vancouverisland.com/regions/towns/index.asp…

Are you renting vacation rental property or are you camping? What do you want to tour on the sunshine coast?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,773 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: first timer in Sunshine Coast and Vancouver Island

And have you decided to go north/west and cross from Powell River to Comox? I, personally would not go all the way back to Horseshoe Bay to go over to Nanaimo.

I happen to love Madeira Park/Pender Harbour area. So interesting, lots of water activity that you can walk to of an evening. Francis Point Provincial Park for a bit of a walk. Just more activity. But I don't know what accommodations are there.

If you wanted quiet and unpopulated and to be near the ferry to head up to PR to catch the ferry to Comox, then the Earl's Cove area might suit you. Have a look at the Backeddy Resort at Egmont, a 5 min drive to the ferry at Earl's Cove, or Ruby Lake Resort, a 15 min? drive to the ferry. Don't know if they come under your budget, but you could consider them.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,143 posts
392 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: first timer in Sunshine Coast and Vancouver Island

No real advice from me save for you should definitely take the ferry from Powell River to Comox! I wouldn't back track to Horseshoe Bay and then ferry to Nanaimo.

From Comox you drive south and can turn off to Highway 4 at Qualicum and start heading west towards Tofino.

If you do this route you will qualify for a CirclePac tickets which is a 15% discount and you'll need to purchase it in advance, I believe.

www.bcferries.com

Edited: 17 May 2011, 01:35
dallas
Level Contributor
255 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: first timer in Sunshine Coast and Vancouver Island

Thank you much for the great info and suggestions, bc and muf! I'm open to any type of lodging except camping. We are interested in kayaking and hiking. Now I'm thinking we probably spening 3 nights in sunshine coast, otherwise, it might be a little too rush. I'm still debating whether go up all the way to power river.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,773 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: first timer in Sunshine Coast and Vancouver Island

They are going from Van - Sunshine Coast - Victoria - Port Angeles, so no Circle Pac for them.