We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancouver Island and Khutzeymateen TripWOW

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
296 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Vancouver Island and Khutzeymateen TripWOW

We visited these magnificent spots last August. I had intended to add some photos when I posted my my Trip Report last year but due to my pathetic skills with the computer, I never did. Likewise I use a simple "aim and shoot" camera. Now I know a lot of folk find TripWOW annoying/lacking, but I can at least use it reasonably easily and while these shots do not do these gorgeous areas justice, you'll get the idea and appreciate what a thrill this trip was for us Aussies.

…tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-018c-5768-9321…

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,881 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vancouver Island and Khutzeymateen TripWOW

WOW indeed.

What a treat to see your show. I looked for our overcast skies but didn't see any. Glorious weather, lucky you. I'd forgotten about the bush clothes drying rack! You saw quite a bit of wildlife, actually. Great memories to last a lifetime. Thanks so much for posting.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,439 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vancouver Island and Khutzeymateen TripWOW

Nicely done, perthlady, and lovely photographs. As Mufti said, some great wildlife sightings. Isn't flying in an old Beaver float plan a great experience - that big radial engine has such a wonderful sound.

Was that your first TripWOW? I have now done four.

Edited: 24 May 2011, 10:37
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Reply
3. Re: Vancouver Island and Khutzeymateen TripWOW

Excellent pictures! Looks like it was a lovely trip!

I'm one of the people working on TripWow and I was wondering if you have any feedback on how we could improve it? What are some of the issues you've heard other people mention.

I'm really glad you've been enjoying TripWow and using it as a quick and easy way to share your pictures. That's what it was designed to do!

Eric

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,881 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vancouver Island and Khutzeymateen TripWOW

Hi Eric ~ so glad you asked.

First, it would be great if there was a TripWow forum in the "Table of Contents" on TA, meaning the Forums Home page or the Beyond Destinations page. I must save a TripWow as one of my favourites, which is fine for me. Others who are just looking for it need to google it, but ..... first need to know what to google to find it.

Then, it would be great if the user name of the poster who created the Trip Wow could be included in the listings. For example, there are 1400+ TripWows for Vancouver. They are all displayed by title only. They really need to have a date (a posting date and a date for when the trip was taken) and a user name to go along with it. Without those important indicators, looking at TripWow is for browsing only.

It needs a search function too. I was thinking by season might do the trick. There is no real commentary, just visual eye candy and it might just be enough for people to see places by the season that they are thinking of travelling in.

If I want to link a TripWow to help someone with their questions on the forum, I'd better know to save it as a favourite right away, because I will never find it again.

It also needs a way to report as inappropriate. In my searching for one TripWow in particular, I came across a promising 3 city trip, only to discover that the 100+ photos were all head shots of girls under the age of 13, looking coyly at the camera. Questionable I would say.

In summary, I would say TripWow needs to operate like the real TA does, with destination forums, proper ID - with topic, user name, date and a way to report inappropriate. Oh, and it needs to be able to be found.

My 2 cents worth.

Thanks for asking.

Edited: 26 May 2011, 02:17
Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,439 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vancouver Island and Khutzeymateen TripWOW

OMG Mufti, those are wonderful suggestions IMO. I must admit that I have only once visited the TripWOW site and was absolutely turned off by the mish-mash presented there.

For my own TripWOW's I have emailed myself with the link to the thread on which I had posted them to the forums, as well as saving the email advice from TripWOW of the link to that site.That way I have almost instant recall which has been handy in particular for my TripWOW for the Canadian Rockies where people are concerned about mountain driving on what are some truly amazing and safe roads. The pictures show it as it is.

Eric, when I read your post (hey - how come not TA_Eric BTW) at lunchtime from work today the first thing I thought of was the link from the TA website. I seem to think that was something raised on HUMTAB a while back as well.

As an infrequent user I would like to see more control over the method of photo presentation, whilst appreciating that part of the brilliance of TripWOW is the absolute simplicity of use, which I have certainly appreciated. I am far from an IT mug, but graphics stuff get complicated so I have left it alone until TripWOW. I have never even seen Photoshop.

I hope that you re-visit this thread, Eric, but to be fair to perthlady who was the O/P I was going to PM you rather than taking this thread off topic (naughty Mufti LOL).

As far as the comments from perthlady that "a lot of folk find TripWOW annoying/lacking", on the forums I frequent there are very few ever linked, in fact, and Mufti might correct me on this, I think that my own TripWOW a few months ago has been the only other that I have seen on the BC forums. I very seldom open them when posted on forums unless it is a subject/region of interest to me, so I find the observation by perthlady unusual. There is no doubt that there may be better presentation packaging available, but I cannot see how it is "lacking" except for control of the photo presentations, i.e. rolling in, sliding in etc.

Just my AU$0.02c worth. (Edit - raise that to AU$0.05c as the CAN/AU conversion gives Mufti's 2 cents an advantage over my 2 cents) :)

Edited: 26 May 2011, 13:01
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,881 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vancouver Island and Khutzeymateen TripWOW

<<It needs a search function too. I was thinking by season might do the trick. There is no real commentary, just visual eye candy and it might just be enough for people to see places by the season that they are thinking of travelling in.>>

On the other hand, seasons from place to place vary, so perhaps month and year would work better.

Raise you $0.02, Frommy! I like that exchange rate. :-)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,881 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vancouver Island and Khutzeymateen TripWOW

Eric ~

I've just been exploring the TripWows. Perthlady, I hope you don't mind a bit more discussion on your thread. Eric, do you want to continue this discussion on HUMTAB? More to the point here, though.

I notice Frommy's Indian Arm Luncheon Cruise TripWow is now in 5th position. Do TripWows automatically get bumped to the front of the listings when they are viewed again?

What is the purpose of TripWow? Here is a TripWow that demonstrates what could be considered family photos rather than Destination photos. It's on the Vancouver Slideshows but has nothing to do with Vancouver. The whole thing takes place in another country 5 minutes:

…tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-00e7-bfdc-7afe

Here's another one on the Vancouver based slideshows. 2.5 minutes. Decide for yourself:

…tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-00aa-db58-1e37

or this, 2 min

…tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-00ad-32c2-f7aa

There are many slideshows that work really well, give a visitor a good representation of the Vancouver area and even BC. I question the ones that are weighted with a family focus: Christmas trees in private living rooms, BBQ chickens fresh from Safeway with the plastic leg clip still in place, personal names of relatives on the photos, no captions to identify any local attractions/sights that might be in the slideshow.

TripWow is frequently littered with irrelevant stuff.

Is there any way to edit the loaded photos? e.g. fixing photos that have been loaded sideways?

Edited: 26 May 2011, 19:21
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
296 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vancouver Island and Khutzeymateen TripWOW

Hello Mufti, nope dont mind at all, unlike Frommy, I am definitely an IT "mug" so cant really add anything. My comments about TripWOW obviousy should have read "some" rather than "lots" of folk....., a comment I made based on other posters critisism levelled at the TripWOW product on an earlier forum somewhere(?) I quite enjoyed putting it together and am happy with the end product. Yes Frommy that was my first effort with TripWOW but I have just done a second one now with my Trip report of The Great Ocean Walk and Yes, loved the "choonk, choonk" sound when the old enine fired up.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,439 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vancouver Island and Khutzeymateen TripWOW

You did a great job with the first effort perthlady, although your fantastic photos would have stood out in any arena you had so many wonderful wildlife sightings. After your terrific TR of the Great Ocean Walk, that is one TripWOW I would love to see as I have only visited that region by road.

Your liking of the TripWOW is similar to mine, very simple to use and a very enjoyable process. In my case I went back to my trip photos from nearly three years ago and the revival of the memories of that has developed a yearning for a return visit, eh.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Reply
10. Re: Vancouver Island and Khutzeymateen TripWOW

Hi again everyone!

MuftiMixandmatch, thanks for the batch of good ideas. Sorting through all the slideshows is definitely something that we'd like to improve on. A search feature would probably go a long way to making it easier to dig things up. There is a "Report inappropriate" link just under the bottom right corner of every slideshow. Clicking that will send an email to us where we'll review it, but we're checking for truly inappropriate content rather than incorrect content.

Frommy, I'm not sure I understand what "link" you're talking about? An actual link or just "how does TripWow fit in to TripAdvisor" link? :)

I think you hit the nail on the head with regards to controls. We've always been aiming to keep the creation process as simple as possible, which is why we don't have that level of customization. Picking the music was a must have, but after that, we found that most people are happy to trade simplicity for defaults. Although, having some advanced options that are a bit hidden out the way is something we've considered.

MuftiMixandmatch Part 2, slideshows are ranked by views and by a few other criteria such as the number of pictures, number of destinations and a few other factors.

I'll answer your last question a little more generally: what is the point of TripWow?

When we first started working on TripWow is was meant as a quick and simple way for people to make a slideshow that they could share with friends and family. They were so easy to create that we almost saw them as disposable. But surely enough, people wanted to have a profile page to display them all, and they wanted to look at other slideshows, so we built the directory. A million slideshows later, I'll definitely agree that there are quite a few "what the?!" slideshows in the directory, but I think some of the suggestions made above would make a difference.

All in all, I'm thrilled that you like our little slideshow tool. DM if you ever have any more suggestions or comments.

Eric