We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Revelstoke to Clearwater "shortcut" around Kamloops

Parksville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Revelstoke to Clearwater "shortcut" around Kamloops

We're driving from Revelstoke to Clearwater on Tuesday and looking at some of the options to avoid going down into Kamloops to get onto highway 5. Any thoughts about cutting through Adams Lake way?

Mentioned in this post
Revelstoke
Revelstoke
Kootenay Rockies, Canada
Clearwater
Clearwater
British Columbia, Canada
Kamloops
Kamloops
British Columbia, Canada
Blind Bay, BC
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Revelstoke to Clearwater "shortcut" around Kamloops

Is this the road you're thinking of?

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154922-i80-k460285…

Parksville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Revelstoke to Clearwater "shortcut" around Kamloops

We're considering our options, so now I'm asking about the route that goes up toward Adams Lake and then goes onto the Adams Lake FSR and then Agate Bay Road.

You've helped me already with the road to Sun Peaks, and I think we've got that one figure out, just not sure if we decided to by-pass Sun Peaks if there's anothe way to by-pass Kamloops that makes sense.

Mentioned in this post
Sun Peaks
Sun Peaks
617 Reviews
Sun Peaks, Canada
Kamloops
Kamloops
British Columbia, Canada
3. Re: Revelstoke to Clearwater "shortcut" around Kamloops

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 30 July 2011, 23:33
Edited: 30 July 2011, 23:33
Blind Bay, BC
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Revelstoke to Clearwater "shortcut" around Kamloops

Google Revelstoke to Clearwater & one of the routes will bypass Sunpeaks & take you up Adams Lake way.. I tired earlier to post the link & wouldn't work for me.. Looks very doable..

Mentioned in this post
Revelstoke
Revelstoke
Kootenay Rockies, Canada
Clearwater
Clearwater
British Columbia, Canada
Parksville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Revelstoke to Clearwater "shortcut" around Kamloops

Thanks, Suite

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
20,661 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Revelstoke to Clearwater "shortcut" around Kamloops

robinsegg (or anyone else who has info about it), did you ever take this route (Agate Bay/Adams Lake FSR)? We're also considering it and I haven't been able google up much information about it - I am wondering mostly about logging truck traffic on the Adams Lake FSR portion. From what I read about the Agate Bay Road, it sounds like there is not a lot of truck (or any) traffic there.

Blind Bay, BC
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Revelstoke to Clearwater "shortcut" around Kamloops

Hi krp.. call the Chamber of Commerce in Chase for exact details on the road.

We keep meaning to take that road for a day trip but haven't gotten around to it yet.

http://www.chasechamber.com/contact_us.php

Parksville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Revelstoke to Clearwater "shortcut" around Kamloops

krp - no, we didn't end up going that way. By the way, thoroughly enjoyed our stay in Jasper last summer - so pleased we decided to spend most of our time there, rather than Banff :-)

Mentioned in this post
Jasper
Jasper
Jasper National Park, Canada
Banff
Banff
Banff National Park, Canada
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
20,661 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Revelstoke to Clearwater "shortcut" around Kamloops

Having recently driven the Agate Bay Road/Adams Lake FSR route, I thought I'd post an update here...

I had tried calling the Chase Chamber of Commerce several times but although there was an option to leave a message (which I didn't do) and have them call me back, no one was ever on hand to take my call. A lady at the Salmon Arm tourism office gave me general info about the route that was encouraging, but she said they had not yet had anyone into their office to give them an update on current road conditions.

So, on our way we stopped in at a visitor centre in Barriere to ask about the route, and were assured that it was fine... and it was! The Agate Bay Road is all paved, and is a pretty route through a narrow valley, dotted with small farms and acreages along most of it. The Adams Lake Forest Service Road is a very wide gravel road (to the intersection with the Agate Bay Road, at least, it appears to be narrower beyond and there was signage indicating the radio frequencies the logging trucks use) - it is easily two lanes plus shoulder(s) width for a lot of it, although there are a few sections at some of the curves that were narrower, and, if I recall correctly, there was a single-lane bridge at one point. It had been recently graded, so was in really good condition. We did not meet any logging trucks. The road is high above the lake, and there are a few spots with good views. Nervous drivers might find the lack of guard rails daunting - we didn't, and it would only be an issue really for northbound vehicles, since when you are going southbound, you're up against the mountain.

Edited: 11 June 2012, 18:17
Mentioned in this post
Salmon Arm
Salmon Arm
British Columbia, Canada
Blind Bay, BC
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Revelstoke to Clearwater "shortcut" around Kamloops

Thanks krp for the update! You should of told me you were in the neighborhood we would of loved to have you over for a glass of wine! We will try to get away for a day trip later this summer & try this route..

Thanks again!!