We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancouver Passport Office Wait Times

Which British Columbia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sunshine Coast
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Vancouver Passport Office Wait Times

I sent in my documents for a passport renewal and just got them back today. No passport, they didn't like the photo! Now I am going to be in Vancouver tomorrow and I'm wondering if I go into the Vancouver Passport office how long of a wait there will be.

Has anyone been in to renew their passports lately and if so how long was the wait. I fly out on Nov. 11th so need to deal with this ASAP.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,106 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vancouver Passport Office Wait Times

You will need to ask them at the office when you get there. You can pay extra money to have it processed quickly, not sure how much, but first you have to deal with the photos! It will be faster too if you pick up the new passport yourself rather than relying on the mail. GET YOUR MONEY BACK and let the photographer know why they were not accepted. Won't help you, but maybe the next person! Good luck. I hope it all works out for you.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vancouver Passport Office Wait Times

If you need a decent cheap photo done here in Vancouver head to any London Drugs there's one @ Granville & Georgia-it was less than $15 closer to $12 IIRC.

Then you can walk down to the office-the wait to be served was less than 20 minutes -6 months or so ago-that was after a short wait in line to get a number.

I agree that Expedited is the only way for you to go-take your ticket.

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/cdn/urgent.aspx?lang=eng

Rockies BC
Level Contributor
744 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vancouver Passport Office Wait Times

If you mean "how long do I have to wait at the passport office," my experience the last couple of years has been that it works best if I get to the office (this has been in Calgary & Vanc) BEFORE the office opens, & I was usually out of there within an hour of the office opening. If you are wondering about how long the passport takes to be issued & sent to you, even without seeking expedited I have received it within 10 days (regular mail) so if you ask for expedited it should be sooner. BTW I was not allowed to bring my coffee into the Calgary passport office this past Feb, perhaps Vanc has the same rules.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,773 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vancouver Passport Office Wait Times

I went in last March very early to replace my PP because it had gone through the wash. (eye roll) I discovered once in the PO that I had to go to a notary to get that damage notarized. There were 4-5 people there at that time. I found a notary away from the PO (because the closest ones are the most expensive) which meant returning later in the day. In the afternoon, I had to wait about an hour.

You will have 3 choices for processing.

Regular counter service: 2 weeks

Express: 2-9 days. This is what I had to get as I was travelling in 11 days from application. The guy chose 8 days as my pick up date, which I did not appreciate!! So be prepared to tell him/her when you're travelling and ask to pick it up on a date that is actually convenient for you. I had to go pick it up when it was ready.

Urgent: 24 hours.

With your time frame, you would be wise to pay the extra and get Express service. You will require proof of travel. Click on the link below and read the "Other Services" section.

www.ppt.gc.ca/cdn/section6.aspx…

I notice Sam has mentioned this link, but my URL seems to be slightly different, so may provide additional info. Otherwise, you get a double dose of help there.

As for the photos, I have got mine done at London Drugs for the last couple of times. They're good and they told me it's all about shadows on the face. So don't smile. No smiling, no shadows.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,143 posts
392 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vancouver Passport Office Wait Times

Costco does passport photos for $6.95!

6. Re: Vancouver Passport Office Wait Times

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 09:25