We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 day drive Banff to Vancouver - overnight Kelowna?

Which British Columbia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
2 day drive Banff to Vancouver - overnight Kelowna?

We are Aussies travelling from Banff to Vancouver by rental car over 2 days in April and wondered if a stop overnight in or near Kelowna and a visit to one of the wineries is a good way to go. If so, can anyone suggest a nice winery and nearby hotel in that area? We don't mind starting early and getting to Vancouver late. Thanks.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
11,780 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 day drive Banff to Vancouver - overnight Kelowna?

Hi

That means you will drive 6-9 hrs on the first day depending on stops along the way. If you look for hotels in West Kelowna it will get you closer to Mission Hills winery. There is a newer Best Western and the Holiday Inn in that area. (the area is also called Westbank) the next leg via 97c and Coquihalla to Vancouver is about 5 hrs.

cheers

cb

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,822 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 day drive Banff to Vancouver - overnight Kelowna?

Welcome to the forums SuenDarren~

You could also consider the very fine Quail's Gate winery in the same area.

http://www.quailsgate.com/

I'll just put all the above in context for you with Googles Maps. Click on the blue print, then zoom out for the overview.

http://g.co/maps/a6pw4

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,198 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 day drive Banff to Vancouver - overnight Kelowna?

Perhaps look around more in the north Okanagan (Vernon) or Shuswap (Salmon Arm) areas. That will make a more even split of the driving, and allow time to enjoy the scenery on the Banff to Revelstoke leg.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 day drive Banff to Vancouver - overnight Kelowna?

Wow, that didn't take long for some answers. Must try this again for our trip. Thanks for the ideas. Will look into them. We know it's a lot of driving but hopefully we can fit a winery in. Thanks. SuenDarren

Blind Bay, BC
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 day drive Banff to Vancouver - overnight Kelowna?

If come you through the Shuswap way.. We have 3 of our wineries that are open that time of the year. Let me know if you're interested & I can provide links for you.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 day drive Banff to Vancouver - overnight Kelowna?

Thank you Muftimixandma for going to the trouble of highlighting the map and wineries. I've just had a look. I was previously thinking of the Grey Monk winery but this has given me new ideas to consider. SuenDarren

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 day drive Banff to Vancouver - overnight Kelowna?

Thanks Suitasitgets and Vancouverite6. Didn't realise there were wineries in that direction as well. Will definitely consider it. Actually I would like the links if you would be so kind.

Edited: 14 January 2012, 05:14
Kelowna, Canada
Destination Expert
for Kelowna
Level Contributor
571 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 day drive Banff to Vancouver - overnight Kelowna?

Try Quails Gate and Summer Hill, very close and if you stay in downtown Kelowna there are great restaurants and bars. Anything else let us know.

Blind Bay, BC
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 day drive Banff to Vancouver - overnight Kelowna?

Here's the link to the Shuswap area wineries:

hellobc.com/salmon-arm/things-to-do/food-win…

Celista won't be open in April.. : (

We also have a brewery !!

http://www.crannogales.com/index.php

10. Re: 2 day drive Banff to Vancouver - overnight Kelowna?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2013, 10:26