We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

leaving by car from banff on july 5 for vancouver..

Yonkers, New York
Level Contributor
188 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
leaving by car from banff on july 5 for vancouver..

according to my trusty AAA guide it's about an 11 hour drive taking rt 1 all the way.

does everyone think this is the best route and giving myself 2 days enough time.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,016 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: leaving by car from banff on july 5 for vancouver..

There are several good options for getting between Banff and Vancouver, and lots to see, but if you are just looking to get the drive done, then straight down highway 1 to Kamloops, then highway 5 to Hope where you rejoin highway 1 is the most efficient way to go. 11 hours is about right, however the scenery through between Banff and Revelstoke is spectacular and there is lots to see along the way. I also think that sticking with Highway 1 from Kamloops to Hope is very scenic and worth taking the slower drive to see.

I'd recommend spending your night in Revelstoke, because its worth going slowly through that bit and stopping often, and there are some terrific things to see in Revelstoke, including the national park and the railway museum. Otherwise, going as far as Salmon Arm is another good area.

If you don't mind extending the drive a bit, then turning south from Salmon Arm and seeing some of the Okanagan Valley is also worth while, turning back west at Kelowna and getting on highway 5 to Hope.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
14,549 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: leaving by car from banff on july 5 for vancouver..

HI

if you go via the Okanagan Wine Country route the turn off for the shortest distance to get to Kelowna is at Sicamous rather than going all the way to Salmon Arm and then south.

The Okanagan is orchard and wine country so worth the detour.

Staying in West Kelowna gets you closer to Highway 97C that is the connector to Highway 5 (called the Coquihalla)

Yonkers, New York
Level Contributor
188 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: leaving by car from banff on july 5 for vancouver..

sounds great. looks like we'll be altering our route.

much appreciated.

Yonkers, New York
Level Contributor
188 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: leaving by car from banff on july 5 for vancouver..

one more ?.

if i take either of your suggestions-is 2 days enough to do it all.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,016 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: leaving by car from banff on july 5 for vancouver..

A lifetime isn't enough! ;>

If you had a night in Revelstoke and then a night somewhere around Kelowna, then that would give you a nice taste of the area.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
14,549 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: leaving by car from banff on july 5 for vancouver..

Hi

It depends on how much wine tasting you want to do in the Okanagan (-:

but seriously If you have an extra day in your schedule

you could be based in West Kelowna and then do a day trip down south to Osoyoos.

If you want more details on the southern part of the Okanagan please let us know how much time you may have.

Yonkers, New York
Level Contributor
188 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: leaving by car from banff on july 5 for vancouver..

"A lifetime isn't enough! ;>" i love that. you must be a very wise person.

not really into wine tasting so if that's what this area is noted for i'll have to count myself out. was told that the okanagan valley was a more scenic route than the one i initially mentioned. would travel through the valley to take advantage of that.

right now am trying to figure out how to spend 11 days between vancouver, vanc isl and victoria

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,733 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: leaving by car from banff on july 5 for vancouver..

My suggestion is 4 nights Vancouver, 2 nights in the Qualicum/Parksville area, 3 nights Tofino and 2 nights Victoria.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,085 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: leaving by car from banff on july 5 for vancouver..

Have a look at the top question on the right "driving from Vancouver to Banff..all the various routes discussed there.. If you've spent some time in Banff prior then I like the route down to Radium, over to Nelson, up to Nakusp, over to Vernon, then down the Fraser Canyon ( hwy 1) into Vancouver 1 night Nelson, 1 night Okanagan.

+ for Mufti's division of time.

Yonkers, New York
Level Contributor
188 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: leaving by car from banff on july 5 for vancouver..

getting great suggestions. i like where this is all going.

am definitely open to changing our plans.