We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking around Vancouver

London, United...
9 posts
Save Topic
Walking around Vancouver

Hi there,

travelling to Vancouver next tuesday and was woundering if anyone knows of any self-guilded walking tours/trails around the city i.e. just follow a directions/maps on your own not with a guide

Many thanks in advance

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,740 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking around Vancouver

Can't think of one, but now your question has been "bumped"!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,613 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking around Vancouver

Are you actually looking for a walking tour, or just a walk? The most famous and popular is the seawall, which loops around Stanley Park and extends into the city down either side. To the north it runs along the edge of Coal Harbour to the Vancouver Convention Centre, and to the south it runs down English Bay, continues around Yaletown and the toe of False Creek and then all the way back up through Olympic Village, past Grandville Island and terminates at Kits Beach.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,104 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking around Vancouver

The bike rental at Denman and Georgia advertise twice daily guided bike tours. Google "self guided walking tours of Vancouver" and you will turn up a few.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,097 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking around Vancouver

There are 4 self guided heritage walks in Vancouver: Strathcona, Chinatown, Kitsilano and the West End. The website which normally has the links seems to be in the process of updating the information.

vancouver.ca/commsvcs/…

I would suggest you go down to the Vancouver Information Center across from Canada Place and ask for the brochures. I'm pretty sure they will have paper versions. Worth a try anyway.

One of our oldest cemeteries: vancouver.ca/commsvcs/…walks.html

Kitsilano map and walk: http://www.kitstreemap.com/

Downtown Vancouver: tourismvancouver.com/do/…

London, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking around Vancouver

Hey Vancouverite67,

Thanks for your reply, this sounds great. can I find this on line anywhere? directions etc?

We're looking for some ideas on walks around the city to be able to do on our own. not with a guide.

I see some travel guide books have some walking tours but not really cover most of the city

Many thanks

Sam

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,246 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking around Vancouver

Hi SamW5,

Whenever we go somewhere we check Frommers online guide as they often have printable walking tours. In the case of Vancouver, they have 3. Have a look at frommers.com/destinations/…0171010008.html

Whenever I'm in Vancouver I try to walk (time and weather permitting) from Granville Island around the seawall to Canada Place. Takes several hours and is roughly 15 km, but is one of the finest urban waterside walks I can think of. Very straight forward. Start at Granville Island, head east toward Science World (big glass geodesic dome). Follow around False Creek and then head west along seawall and continue right round Stanley Park to Canada Place . Reward yourself with a lovely locally crafted beverage. Nice day out.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,613 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking around Vancouver

Honestly Sam, its hard to miss the seawall because it runs along the water around the entire downtown core. Just head for the waterfront and when you hit the walking path head left...or right...as the whim takes you and just follow your nose. If you take your bearing from Stanley Park then that will help you orient yourselves.

If you wanted to be really fancy, you could walk to the end of the seawall path at Canada Place, get on the Canada Line at Waterfront, ride it a couple of stops to Olympic Village and then rejoin the path on that side of False Creek. Seriously, the possibilities are endless and easy.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,613 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking around Vancouver

Try the City of Vancouver's Parks webpage for more specific info.

http://vancouver.ca/parks/

9. Re: Walking around Vancouver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 05:16