We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Savary Island, or maybe Hornby?

Vancouver, British...
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Savary Island, or maybe Hornby?

Hi,

We have 4 days over Labor Day to go somewhere within 5-6 hours from Vancouver. We were thinking about the Oregon coast, but then decided against it since the border traffic will be outrageous.

We will be camping. We like nice scenery, warmer weather and water that is swimmable, we also like hiking and outdoor activities...so we were thinking about Savary Island. We've also heard nice things about Hornby and can't decide which one. We just moved here a couple years ago so we're not completely familiar with every nook and cranny but we've been to all the hot spots like Tofino, Whistler etc.

We don't want to end up somewhere incredibly crowded or pretentious. Though I do expect lots of travellers over the labor day weekend on the ferries at least.

We have a car and don't mind paying for the ferries.

Any ideas or feedback?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Savary Island, or maybe Hornby?

One consideration might be how to get to each island.

For Hornby, you would take the ferry to Nanaimo (from either Horsehoe Bay to Departure Bay or Tsawassen to Duke Point, depending upon where you live in the Lower Mainland). Then, you drive up the east coast of Vancouver Island to Buckley Bay, take the ferry to Denman Island, drive across Denman and take the ferry to Hornby. So, you would have your car with you to tote your camping gear over to/while on Hornby.

For Savary, you would take the ferry from Horseshoe Bay to Langdale, drive up to Earls Cove, take the ferry to Saltery Bay and then drive up to Lund. At that point, you would take the water taxi over to Savary. So, you would not have your car with you to tote your camping gear over to/while on Savary.

Edited: 30 July 2012, 01:54
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,757 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Savary Island, or maybe Hornby?

Everywhere will be crowded there is no getting around that-the further north you go on Vancouver Island the fewer people there are though.

http://www.cluxewe.com/

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,305 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Savary Island, or maybe Hornby?

So many great options around here, and both of these places are high on my "To Do" list. I think the transportation as outlined by itchy is worth reviewing. Camping anywhere within reach of Vancouver on the long weekends is always a chore, and the ferry line ups can compete with the border line ups for inconvenience.

Kootenays, British...
Level Contributor
405 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Savary Island, or maybe Hornby?

Either place is great. Of the two, I would pick Hornby just because I like the vibe and the beach.

Either is a pain to get to at the best of times and on the long weekend I think it will be torture.

But if you are keen and can manage long weekend ferry line-ups - go for it. With decent weather you won't be disappointed!

Parksville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Savary Island, or maybe Hornby?

If you're looking for "swimmable", my vote goes to Horny. Great ocean swimming there - big tides over flat sand makes for warm water when the tide comes in. Beautiful parks and walking/hiking trails, nice market, "funky" vibe noted by above poster.

Parksville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Savary Island, or maybe Hornby?

*Hornby would be what I meant to write :-)

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,337 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Savary Island, or maybe Hornby?

Hmmm...I'd suggest Savary water is warmer because it is at a junction of where the tide meets as it circles Vancouver Island and gets restricted movement.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Savary Island, or maybe Hornby?

is there free camping on the beach at both these locations?

9. Re: Savary Island, or maybe Hornby?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2014, 05:15