We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 night trip from Vancouver to Rockies in september

Which British Columbia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dbn
13 posts
Save Topic
8 night trip from Vancouver to Rockies in september

Hi there, we are disembarking from our cruise ship in Vancouver mid-September. We plan to spend a few nights in Vancouver and then hire a car and drive towards the Rockies. It's been suggested we go to whistler and Banff. What would be a good itinerary? It's my husband and me plus six year old daughter, and I'd like to break up the trip so we don't do too much driving in a day. We are flying out of Calgary. Advice would be greatly appreciated!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
6,971 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 night trip from Vancouver to Rockies in september

This itinerary takes you through the Okanagan Valley which is a great place to stop as a family... but it skips Whistler.

Vancouver - Kelowna (in the Okanagan Valley)

Kelowna - Banff

Banff - Jasper

Jasper - Banff

Banff - Calgary

This itinerary includes Whistler, but it skips the Okanagan Valley, and Kamloops isn't as much as a tourist destination as it is a place to sleep at night (although apparently they have a great zoo).

Vancouver - Whistler

Whistler - Kamloops

Kamloops - Jasper

Jasper - Banff

Banff - Calgary

A bonus for this latter itinerary is that Hwy 99 from Vancouver to Kamloops via the communities of Pembertom and Lillooet is spectacular and is the highway less travelled.

Edited: 10 August 2012, 20:12
Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 night trip from Vancouver to Rockies in september

Hi,

I live in Penticton, the interior of BC and would suggest coming through this area as it's beautiful in mid-September. I've traveled to Calgary several times and take the same route every time and it seems to work with lots to do in between. This is my suggestion:

2 nights in Vancouver (already planned)

Travel to Penticton from Vancouver - approximately 5 hour drive

2 nights in Penticton

Travel to Revelstoke - approximately 3 1/2 hour drive

1 night in Revelstoke

- This is just to break up the drive to Banff from Penticton

Travel to Banff - approximately 3 1/2 hour drive

2 nights in Banff

Travel to Calgary - approximately 1 1/2 hour drive

1 night in Calgary

If you have any other questions, I'm here to help.

Thanks,

Lisa

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,493 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 night trip from Vancouver to Rockies in september

Hi Durbangirl ~

I would drop Whistler in favour of more time in the Rockies. Whistler is great for people who are not including the Rockies in their plans. The Rockies is where you want your focus to be.

Will those 8 days be exclusive or inclusive of your time in Vancouver? Assuming exclusive and you have 8 days clear to travel across the province...

1 night Kelowna, via Hwy 1 and Hwy 5.

1 night Revelstoke, via Hwy 1.

2 nights Banff

1 full day on the Icefields Parkway

1 nights Jasper

1 final night Banff to position yourself for the ~2 hour drive to Calgary airport. Do you think you will need a night in Calgary before an early morning flight out? or perhaps your flight will be later in the afternoon.

In the Top Questions to the upper right of this forum, you will find an article about the choices for routes across BC. In all honesty, with only 8 days, I would suggest you consider flying to Calgary, renting a car and then spending 3 nights in Banff, 3 nights in Jasper, 1 final night in Banff in order to get to the airport for your flight out. Air Canada or WestJet. Doing the Icefields Parkway in both directions would be a treat.

www.icefieldsparkway.ca

pc.gc.ca/eng/…visit38.aspx .... open the PDF link below what you see.

You might want to get a move on regarding accommodations, as your trip is only 4 weeks away. For that specific Information, I would suggest you post on the Canadian Rockies Forum. Short cut to that forum is here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g659487-i11598-Can…

Edited: 10 August 2012, 21:43
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 night trip from Vancouver to Rockies in september

Two ways (I've done them both):

Hwy 99 N-Duffy Lake Rd.-Hwy #1. Hwy 1 to Kamloops. From there Hwy 5 N or keep on 1 into Alberta.

If you have the time, I would recommend HWY 5 (Yellowhead) into Alberta, see Mt Robson (highest Mt in the Rockies), them drive south via Jasper, Lake Louise, Banff and into Calgary.

Drop me a PM if you need more info

Victoria, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 night trip from Vancouver to Rockies in september

I would also look into staying in Kananaskis, it is very beautiful there, and being a provincial park, you do not need to pay the National Park fees which are ~$20/day you are there

Dbn
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 8 night trip from Vancouver to Rockies in september

Thank you all so much for your input. Its really appreciated. I was using the ipad to look up stuff on trip advisor, and you don't see the "Top Questions" on the ipad...much better to use the laptop!

I am going to look into spending a couple of days in Vancouver, and then flying to Calgary and renting a car there. Then we can do banff-jasper-banff-calgary as suggested by one of the replies. I'd like to keep driving to a minimum because my daughter and I both get car sick so looking out the window at the scenery is not always possible or fun. I'd like to get to the destination and get out the car and explore. I just need to check out flight costs, and then find good places to stay in Banff and Jasper. Thanks all! Let me get cracking on this...

Dbn
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 8 night trip from Vancouver to Rockies in september

How does this sound?

Disembark cruise ship sept 14th (am)

Stay vancouver 14th, 15th(1.5 days in vancouver)

Fly vancouver-calgary 16th

Drive calgary-banff (1.5hrs)16th

Stay Banff 16th, 17th,18th (2 full days in Banff)

Drive Banff-Jasper (4.5hours) 19th

Stay Jasper 19th, 20th, 21st (2.25days in Jasper)

Drive Jasper-Banff 22nd

Stay Banff 22nd (0.25days in Banff)

Drive Banff-Calgary 23rd (to catch 2pm flight)

Does this make sense? Should I be looking for accomodation in Banff in the Banff National Park? Is there any chance of seeing snow anywhere in September?

Thanks again :)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,493 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 8 night trip from Vancouver to Rockies in september

That certainly sounds more rewarding.

<<Drive Banff-Jasper (4.5hours) 19th>> .... Open those 2 links in the middle of #3 to see why your day will want to be more like 8 hours. Consider packing your own lunch as well. There is a restaurant at Saskatchewan River Crossing, but it's functional and is cafeteria style.

Open the last link in #3 to go to the CAD Rockies Forum. You need to outline your plans there and check on accommodation.

Yes you will see snow at the end of September. Maybe you won't walk in it too much but it will be around. The temps there at the end of September will be fairly close to 4C, with ave high about 9C and ave low about -1C. Plan accordingly.

Edited: 11 August 2012, 10:09
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 8 night trip from Vancouver to Rockies in september

Mufti, you're painting a dire picture of weather here in the Rockies at the end of September. Durbangirl, it can be chilly here then, even possibly below freezing at night, but we can also have some days that are quite warm. I had a friend who got married outdoors in the last week of September last year, and it was 27C on her special day ... and then about 8C the next day (from one extreme to the other...) Mornings and evenings are definitely chilly, even if the day winds up being warm. Clothing that you can layer is the best way to deal with the wide variation in weather conditions that you may encounter.

Usually by the end of September, some snow starts to fall on the peaks and at the higher elevations. I think it's one of the prettiest times of the year, with the fall colours and a dusting a snow on the peaks.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,493 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 8 night trip from Vancouver to Rockies in september

Thanks for your post, krp.

My apologies Durbangirl for providing incorrect data. I used the Environment Canada data base, but clearly chose October stats. Here is the weather data for Banff. You can flip around through the months and years to reset it.

…weatheroffice.gc.ca/climateData/…

And here for Jasper: …weatheroffice.gc.ca/climateData/…