We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

School holidays July 2013

Which British Columbia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,465 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
School holidays July 2013

Do all or most schools start the school holidays start on Canada day in July 2013?

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,181 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: School holidays July 2013

The schools in our District start holidays on June 28, 2013. Most schools in BC will close on this date or sooner.

www.sd68.bc.ca/About/Nextyearscalendar.asp

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,148 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: School holidays July 2013

Elementary grade kids are out the Thursday before Canada Day, July 1st. High school kids get out earlier. But bottom line schools are "in session" (open with teachers at work) until the last Friday of June. They carry on unfettered until the day after Labour Day, first Monday in September, which is Monday Sept. 3rd this year.

That's the British Columbia public school system. The few independent schools may have slightly different school end/school start dates. If you are going to Alberta, they will have their own school year calendar which may or may not match the BC dates. Education is a provincial matter in this country.

Edited: 20 August 2012, 23:09
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,148 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: School holidays July 2013

I editted that!! and still got it not quite right.

In 2013, June 30 is a Sunday, the last day schools will be open will be Friday 28th. The kids will be picking up their report cards and be gone, or is that begone, :-) on the 27th. Families in which there are no teachers are free to head out for hols on the Friday morning.

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,465 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: School holidays July 2013

I picked our dates because of the weather (trying to avoid the rain in August) but wanted to get in to see all the places in the Rockies and Alaska so after the thaw etc and when it is a tad warmer. Now wondering if I should go earlier and start the Rockies on June 10 and the cruise on June 24. I am worried that is too early as I hate the cold.

Should I just forget worries about the school holidays and just enjoy the little darlings?

Then someone said August is better for bears as the salmon are running!!

Dilemma!!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,148 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: School holidays July 2013

I don't think you can arrange it perfectly. It's probably going to come down to your priorities within your time frame.

There will be as good as no ice left on the lakes in the Rockies by June 10. You will have variable weather no matter which month you go. There will be few if any families/kids on holiday before June 30.

Decisions, decisions.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,570 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: School holidays July 2013

FWIW - if you really want to optimize your weather considerations but avoid school holidays, then come in early September.

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,465 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: School holidays July 2013

Just the thing I can't do - make decisions : )

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,028 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: School holidays July 2013

One thing I really like about your dates in June... if you are on the Alaskan cruise around June 21st, that is the longest day of the year on the "topside" of the earth, and it will be kind of fun to be that far north with the sun setting closer to midnight!

Also, in the Rockies in June, you may be cold, but you can turn up the heat! It isn't the same kind of cold in Jervis Bay, where you are right on the ocean. Vancouver is similar, in that it feels damp and moist, but the interior is more dry. Hard to explain!

Will you be flying direct with Air Canada? Which month would be cheaper? Are you flying in and out of Vancouver, or flying to Calgary first? I'd be checking the cost of the flights first, then decide!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: School holidays July 2013

Our hardworking "Union of Caring Professionals" are long gone by July 1st.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,434 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: School holidays July 2013

Actually, June is the rainier month in the Rockies - August is the warmest.