We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help on planning 3 weeks June 2013

Which British Columbia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lagos, Portugal
Level Contributor
20 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Help on planning 3 weeks June 2013

We are planning a 3 week stay around British Columbia and the Rockies next June. So far our itinerary looks like this

3nts Vancouver

2nts Whistler

1nt as a stopping point between Whistler and Jasper. We are not sure where to have our overnight so any help here would be appreciated.

2nts Jasper

After this we are a little unsure of how many night we need around Banff or Canmore, possibly 3 nights so we can visit the lakes in the area and also Yoho National Park. Its not essential that we stay in Banff but we would like good access to the surrounding area.

We are then travelling down to Kaslo to stay at the Grizzly Bear Ranch for 4 nights. Is it too far to travel in 1 day or are we better having a night in Revelstoke to break the journey?

We are hoping to then travel over to Vancouver Island for 4 nights in Tofino. Im pretty sure this is too far to travel in 1 day so we need any suggestions for an overnight somewhere between Kaslo and Vancouver, where we will get the ferry from.

Do you think we are trying to fit too much in? I dont want to just zip through the area without trying to get out of the car and do some activities ie Walking, canoeing.

We also would like to try and see some of the quieter areas, if there are any? I do appreciate though it will be pretty busy in June.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,248 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Help on planning 3 weeks June 2013

No need to visit overpriced underwhelming Whistler if you're heading to the majestic Rockies-that frees up up 2 days.

Lagos, Portugal
Level Contributor
20 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help on planning 3 weeks June 2013

My husband wants to go mountain biking in Whistler, otherwise we probably wouldnt make the trip there.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,201 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help on planning 3 weeks June 2013

Hi misscarlet ;:

The Tofino bit puts a wrench in an otherwise very well paced and enjoyable trip. Tofino is a long way from places on the mainland.

Here is an itinerary that would give you 21 nights in BC. You could also drop Vancouver and reallocate those 3 nights to other locations on your itinerary to make it less like a road trip. The Rockies is the place you want to focus on.

3 nights Vancouver

2 nights Whistler

1 night Clearwater, via Lone Butte, BC

2 nights Jasper

3 Banff

4 Grizzly Bear Ranch

1 night Osoyoos

1 night Nanaimo, which requires an additional 1 hour wait for the ferry at Horseshoe Bay. www.bcferries.com

3 nights Tofino

1 night Vancouver, the night before your flight out from Vancouver, assuming you are flying out of Vancouver.

In the link following you will see the driving distances and times in the left sidebar. I would seriously consider dropping either Vancouver or Tofino, and making sure you allow enough time to experience the Rockies. Consider that it takes about 7 hours from Vancouver to drive/ferry to Tofino, one way, stops extra. It's doable, just be very aware of the distances.

http://goo.gl/maps/4GFc7

Lagos, Portugal
Level Contributor
20 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help on planning 3 weeks June 2013

Hi Mufti

Thank you for that, I hadnt thought about including Osoyoos in the journey. The driving distances do concern me a little.

Is it feasible to return from Tofino in one day without the overnight in Vancouver? We have a flight out at about 8pm. We would like to keep Tofino in the trip as my husband is a keen surfer and it would be nice to have a relaxing few days before our return.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,201 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help on planning 3 weeks June 2013

Generally it's not a great idea to be taking a ferry on the same day as catching a plane. Things do go sideways from time to time. In the past ferries have had mechanical failures, have had to go to the aid of other boaters on the water, evacuate the ferry due to an anonymous phone call, knock out a dock due to a hard landing. So getting back to Vancouver the night before a flight out is often recommended.

Here's a story about something that happened on our long weekend at the beginning of August.

http://tinyurl.com/8najuc3

Edited: 28 August 2012, 18:00
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,042 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help on planning 3 weeks June 2013

As it looks like you are in the planning stages, I'm going to toss an idea out for you to consider:

Head to the Island first and spend some time there. At the end of your time on the island, head for Comox and pick up a West Jet flight to Calgary. Get a one way rental from Calgary to Vancouver, head through Banff up to Jasper, then back down to the Nelson/Kaslo area.

www.discovernelson.com/htdocs/biking.html

Then make your way through the south Okanagan to Vancouver for your flight home.

Lagos, Portugal
Level Contributor
20 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help on planning 3 weeks June 2013

We had thought about Tofino at the beginning but as it would be early to mid June, we were a little concerned about the weather?

Grizzly Bear Ranch only has arrivals on certain days, we are looking at 25th June so it would mean pushing everything earlier which isn't necessarily a problem.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,201 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help on planning 3 weeks June 2013

If you are talking about early June, then I would definitely start on the coast as it will be warmer. Spring comes later to the Rockies so arriving at the GB ranch and the Rockies afterwards would be to your benefit. Unfortunately, they don't make their arrival dates public on their website, so I am unable to play with some itinerary ideas for starting on the coast first. However, when you look at the dates, anytime after about the 10th June would be pretty good in the Rockies. The lakes will have lost their ice and most of the trails will be losing their snow.

There's no reason you couldn't reverse the travel direction on that map link in post #5: Vancouver, Vancouver Island, Whistler, Salmon Arm, then go to Banff, Jasper and head to a final night or two in Vancouver after that.

Here's an itinerary for:

3 Vancouver

3 Tofino

2 Whistler

1 Salmon Arm

-----------

4 nights GBR

----------

3 Banff

2 Jasper

1 Clearwater

1 Vancouver

Arrival dates at GBR are going to determine what you do before and what you do after. One option you have is to play with the Vancouver dates. You can take 1, 2 or 3 first, or shift them to the end, so that your dates at GBR will work.

http://goo.gl/maps/4fhmj

Three weeks is a good amount of time to do your plans. I don't think I would take on two one way drop fees and a flight when I'm looking at a three week plan.

Lagos, Portugal
Level Contributor
20 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help on planning 3 weeks June 2013

We have decided to try and stick with our first itinerary but have added an extra couple of nights at the end to allow us more time to travel.

So from GB we will either do 2 nights on the mainland, the second being fairly close to the ferry terminal so we can catch an early ferry over to Nanaimo. Or as suggested catch the ferry and have a night in Nanaimo before driving onto Tofino for 4 nights the following day. I dont really want to waste the night stop but im not sure we have much choice with the distances involved.

We will then have a night back in Vancouver before we catch our flight home, I think it would be too risky to do it all in one day.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,201 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help on planning 3 weeks June 2013

Adding a couple of nights to your itinerary will ease the intensity of those distances.

There will be one motel at Horseshoe Bay, The Horseshoe Bay Motel, which you can look up. Access to the ferry ticket booth and the ferry means a 15 min drive back toward Vancouver to Exit 4 on the hwy, a loop over the highway and back west again to the ferry terminal. The 25 minute drive from North Vancouver is all residential, so the next group of motels will be at Marine Drive and Capilano Rd. (Grouse Inn, Best Western Capilano Inn and Suites, Travelodge Vancouver Lions Gate.) There are two hotels at Lonsdale Quay (Pinnacle and Lonsdale Quay Hotel) and one hotel in east North Vancouver (Holiday Inn North Vancouver.)

From North Vancouver to Nanaimo is a 25 min drive to the terminal, a one hour wait for the ferry, a 1.5 hour ferry ride and at most a 10 min drive into Nanaimo. This info may help you with your decision re: staying in N. Van or pushing on to Nanaimo. Nanaimo is a lovely city to spend a morning, BTW:

www.youtube.com/watch…

A night in Vancouver before your flight is wise.