We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to pack?

2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What to pack?

Hi All

My husband and I are travelling to British Columbia for our honeymoon on Saturday 15th for just short of two weeks and I was wondering if anyone can help me as to what type of clothes we should pack. We are spending 5 days in vancouver which I see is having lovely weather at the moment. We are travelling to Vancouver Island, up to Whistler, Banff and Jasper and flying from Calgary to New York.

We are from Ireland so anything over 18 degrees is warm for us!

any guidance on what would be appropriate or any ideas what the extended forecast is supposed to be like!

Edited: 11 September 2012, 14:13
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
20,037 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to pack?

Bring clothing you can layer, with a windproof/waterproof (or resistant) jacket that will fit over several under-layers. Here in the Rockies, you may get some warm weather, but the average for this time of year is less than 18, and with overnight lows down to freezing or very close to it, mornings and evenings are quite chilly. It's 4C here in Jasper as I write this a bit after 9 am. Yesterday's high was only 11, and we're only expecting 12 today, although warmer weather is coming up for the rest of the week.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,327 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to pack?

With all your destinations and the time of the year when the seasons start changing, you need to bring a bit of everything so you can layer up, as krp329 notes, to freezing temperatures. I'd bring t-shirts, long sleeve shirt, fleece jacket and a packable anorak or warmer. Add in a hat and some gloves and you should be alright for the Rockies. On the Coast it is supposed to go up to 25C this weekend. Bring shorts. Sunscreen available at YVR.

Hull
Level Contributor
773 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to pack?

This will be quite a problem for you because you are going to destinations with considerable temperature variations and cold weather clothing is comparatively dear to buy in those destinations.

That said, assuming you mean 'just under two weeks' in BC/Alberta, with 5 days in Vancouver, you won't be staying anywhere for very long to take in; Van Is, Whistler, Banff and Jasper in what's left. You haven't invited any comments on this aspect, but you should be aware this is a tall order- unless you have a helicopter booked the car engine will hardly be cold!

Seriously, this doesn't do the area justice, as you will see when you get there.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
28,425 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to pack?

Right now, I am wearing summer clothes when I dress in the morning, then throwing on a warm coat (and even gloves some days!) which I really need until the sun gets up. By mid morning the sun is heating things up nicely and you could probably swim at the beach in the afternoon right now. It cools down very rapidly in the evening and by 7:30 you need a warm, fleecy jacket and warm socks on again. Sitting out at my daughters soccer practice last night was bl00dy freezing!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
62,310 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to pack?

Keep your torso warm with a T shirt under layer, then have something handy to keep your arms covered. After that it's all about layers that you can add or subtract as you get warm or cold. You'll have sneakers for hiking anyway.

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: What to pack?

Thanks for all your feedback and replies. I've a good idea what to expect now which could be anything! i'll pack a little bit of everything and hope for the best and worst comes to worst presume we can always buy clothes.

7. Re: What to pack?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2013, 10:16