We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Osoyoos

Richmond, Canada
10 posts
Save Topic
Driving to Osoyoos

We want to drive to Osoyoos & around in the first week of Nov. with my friend & his wife, who are visiting us. We have 5 days for this trip starting from Vancouver & back. Please advice me the route & which places to visit. Where to stay. So lots of details will be a big help for me. We will be driving in our own SUV. Thanks.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,876 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Osoyoos

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154909-i219-k5854…

Amrit I will link your other thread with the question about Banff and Jasper so that others can see what replies you have been getting.

You could drive to Osoyoos in about 6 hours, stops extra. There are a couple of mountain passes that are high enough (1341 metres - as high as the top of Grouse Mountain) to see snow in November, so driving could be potentially problematic with snow and ice on the road. Be sure you have winter tires installed, not all season radials.

It would be fairly quiet in the Okanagan Valley between Osoyoos and Vernon, but it could be nice. You could stay in Osoyoos or Oliver, then one other night in a different city, like Kelowna, then you could come back on the Coquihalla Hwy 5 to Vancouver in about 4.5 hours. Again, that highway has a summit at 1244 metres, and the weather is very changeable. Anything from sunny to snow in November.

I would suggest you look on the Okanagan Valley Forum. In the left sidebar, you will find Things to Do, Hotels and Restaurants. It would be a good idea to look through these to see which ones meet your requirement, then make your choices after that. You could also select 2 or 3 that appeal to you and post the names on this forum for further comment. Click open the following link for the Okanagan Valley Forum:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1507204-i14805-Ok…

Here is a possible route that you might consider taking:

http://goo.gl/maps/e2as1

Also, on this forum to the upper right have a look at the Top Questions. Good information for planning a trip there

I think you might have easier driving if you stayed around Vancouver/Whistler or went over to Victoria.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
13,381 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to Osoyoos

hi

additional info to mufti

the first stop is in Chilliwack if you did not start with a full tank of gas - usually cheapest gas before going to the Okanagan

the second stop is at the Manning Park lodge for a rest stop.

then you could drive to Keremeos for lunch if you like Thai food otherwise stop in Princeton.

at Keremeos you can head south via Cawston to get to Osoyoos via Richter Pass. http://goo.gl/maps/4OHAQ

you want to stay in Osoyoos because Oliver does not have a lot of choice on accommodations. there are tons of place in Osoyoos starting with Spirit Lodge resort where you can taste wine at the Nkmeep winery.

as a day trip this is a route that will get you to visit the area and most wineries

http://goo.gl/maps/06ux5

Burrowing Owl is a must stop with a climb up the tower for the view. Check on which winery will be open for lunch if you have a good budget

back to Osoyoos for the 2nd nite

Day 3 you can drive to Penticton and go on the east side to Naramata. the Bench on Vancouver Hill for lunch is to be considered. Poplar Grove has a great view of Penticton.

then continue to West Kelowna for accommodation there is a fairly new Best Western on Highway 97

Day 4 you can then tour Kelowna with a visit to Summerhill winery to see the pyramid. from West |Kelowna (Westbank)

the Kelowna waterfront along the Grand Hotel is worth a stroll if it not freezing

day 5 more local touring then take the coquihalla back to Vancouver by noon so you can drive in the daylight.

DriveBC is a must to find out what conditions the road are in …drivebc.ca/bchighwaycam/pub/html/www/index-…

you also want to be flexible in your planning and work in a scenario where the forecast is for snow which might delay you 1 day coming from or going to Vancouver.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,073 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to Osoyoos

Hi Amrit. This is a much more realistic idea with the time you have. You are still dealing with mountains, but hopefully the passes closer to the coast won't be too bad. Plan your mountain driving for the middle of the day when things are warmest to reduce the risk of icy patches on the road.

Are you just looking for an out and back trip to the Okanagan, or do you want to do a bit of a tour? I like the suggestions above, but I would throw in a night at Harrison Hot Springs

http://www.harrisonresort.com

If the weather doesn't deteriorate, you could look at a route that includes Whistler and takes you along the north side of the Fraser Valley along Highway 7, which is slower, but very pretty in places:

http://goo.gl/maps/AJT0M

This route is a total of 16 hrs of driving, so four 4 hour driving days and two nights somewhere in the middle. November isn't the best time of year for a driving trip, but if its what you have, this is some nice country to be driving through.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to Osoyoos

For a Real Adventure take Highway 99 past Whistler up/over & through the coast mountains.

Don't listen to the milquetoasts who fear to take the road less travelled-you have the vehicle now use it!

http://www.drivebc.ca/

Edited: 24 October 2012, 06:04
Richmond, Canada
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving to Osoyoos

Thanks all. The trip doesn't has to be back to Okanahagan. I want to do a bit of tour. I want to take them around. Any more suggestions please.

Richmond, Canada
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving to Osoyoos

If you can elaborate a bit more of this round trip. Some say that you can go to whistler & then come back via Harrison hot springs. Thx

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,876 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving to Osoyoos

Amrit,

All the blue printing you see above (and everywhere on TA) can be clicked open with your mouse for more information.

For the route information for Whistler then Harrison Hot Springs, click open the second blue print link in post #3.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,073 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving to Osoyoos

I suspect your friends are talking about this trip:

http://goo.gl/maps/v3FvM

This is only 8.5 hours of driving and can be completed in one long day. You have five days, so unless you want to spend a couple of days just in Whistler and then a couple of days just in Harrison Hot Springs (which would also be very nice), then the longer loop that continues out to the Okanagan would be a really nice tour of the southern corner of the province and provide a good overview of some of our main landscapes.

I think you have some good details in the 7 posts above. Do you have specific questions about your plan?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,073 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving to Osoyoos

Aha! I have just had a look on your Alberta post and I see that you have already covered Whistler and Victoria on a previous trip. OK, that changes my suggestions a bit if they don't want to revisit Whistler. However, if you do the full loop as mapped out above, then you can still do a drive through Whistler because, really, you can't ever tire of that drive up the Sea to Sky. Just don't spend too long in Whistler itself and carry on towards Pemberton and the junction with highway 97.

Ok, so if you focus on the Okanagan, and perhaps plan an overnight or two at Harrison Hot Springs, you should have a really nice time. If you decide to skip the Whistler section altogether, then perhaps up the Fraser Canyon to Kamloops and then around to the Shuswap and back down the Okanagan from there. Anyone know if the salmon will still be running? Its probably getting near the end of the season for that, isn't it.

Have a look a this map for an alternate itinerary:

http://goo.gl/maps/Cz7kI

Its still only 16.5 hrs of driving, so an easy loop for 5 days with time to spend two nights and a full day in one location along the way. I'd look at nights in Harrison Hot Springs, Kelowna and Manning Park.

10. Re: Driving to Osoyoos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2013, 10:17