We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August - Vancouver to Kelowna

Which British Columbia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
August - Vancouver to Kelowna

Hi some advise sought for the best route from Vancouver to Kelowna

Is best just to take the

1) Vancouve - Hope - Merritt - Kelowna route ((274 miles) o

or

2) is it worth in Hope to take the HWY 1 up in Hope, on theTrans Canaday HWY utp Lytton/Spences Bridges, and then take the HWY 8 down to Meritt and then down to Kelowna?

I reaslise the second option will add 100 miles to the route, but was wondering if the scenery is worth the extra 60 miles/1hour +

Or is is best to take the shortest route and get to Kelowna early pm and to spend some time in the afternoon in Kelowna instead.

We are only spending 1 night in Kelowna before heading towards Revelstoke (our next 1 night stop) before heading to Banff.

Any other suggestions highly welcome.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
679 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: August - Vancouver to Kelowna

Option 3 will add about 50 miles and a lot of beautiful scenery:

Hope highway 3 through Manning Park to Princeton and from there Highway 5A to the intersection with hwy 97C to Kelowna.

There's, of course, option 4; from Princeton take highway 3 to Keremeos, then hwy 3A to Kaleden and hwy 97 North through Summerland and Peachland on to Kelowna. This route will add appr. 100 miles to option 1.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,040 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: August - Vancouver to Kelowna

Both routes are nice, and you really can only make the decision in the context of your entire trip. I am guessing that the Rockies is your ultimate destination? You have already elected to take an indirect route and go via Kelowna, but you only have one night to spend there? Personally, I'm a fan of actually seeing the places you have travelled to see, rather than doing more driving and less actual seeing. If you had 2+nights in Kelowna, then I would have no trouble sending you via highway 1, but in the context of you whole trip, I think you will enjoy yourselves more if you focus your energy on the places you have already put in your itinerary.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,193 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: August - Vancouver to Kelowna

Hwy 1 from Hope north is an "original" highway, became a highway in the late '50s. It hugs the cliff of the rugged Fraser Canyon along the Fraser River. It is not a freeway so takes a bit more time. Hell's Gate Aerial Tram is here, south of Boston Bar. Use Google Maps' satellite view to suss out the parking lots including the distance from Hope. Be prepared. The scenery will include vistas out over the Canyon.

britishcolumbia.com/regions/towns/index.asp…

http://www.hellsgateairtram.com/

The Crowsnest Highway, Hwy 3, from Hope to Osoyoos (and to the Rockies) is the other "original" highway that became a highway in the late '50s. It's a main highway but not a freeway. It wends its way through mountainous and forested regions up and over Allison Pass at 1300 metres in the Hope-Princeton section. There are links at the end if the following article to towns along the way:

Edgar Dewdney was a surveyor who laid the foundation for the Crowsnest in the mid 1880s with the Dewdney Trail.

thecanadianencyclopedia.com/articles/sir-edg…

The Coquihalla, Hwy 5, is a freeway from the late '80s that was purpose built to reduce time driving to the coast. It is one long haul up to the Coquihalla Summit at 1200 metres, then one long decline into Merritt. Expedient, not much to visit on the way

For impressive, my vote would go to the Fraser Canyon. One hour more? Much ado about nothing.

Edited: 06 January 2013, 17:07
London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: August - Vancouver to Kelowna

Hi thank you all, and Muftimicx I think I you helped make up my mind!

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
548 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: August - Vancouver to Kelowna

One minor comment, "the extra 60 miles/1hour +". Other than the Coquihalla hwy it is tough to make the 60 miles/1 hour schedule, plan on 80km/hour on average and you will get a better idea of time required. Travel in BC can be daunting for non residents; lots to see, LOTS of corners, few passing lanes, many roads with only one lane each way, LOTS of summer traffic that can be slow due to tourists and slow moving RV's...

One other great asset for travel in BC is

http://www.drivebc.ca/

good highway cams at critical locations, weather reports, road maintenance/issues etc.

Enjoy your stay :0)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,040 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: August - Vancouver to Kelowna

I do agree that the drive up the Fraser Canyon to Spences Bridge and then along Highway 8 is very pretty. Even better (although a bit more of a detour) is to continue as far as Ashcroft and then along 97C through Logan Lake. So many beautiful sections of road to choose from....sigh. Tough choices ahead!

7. Re: August - Vancouver to Kelowna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2014, 06:15