We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation Itinerary Advice - Calgary to Vancouver Island

New York City, New...
8 posts
Save Topic
Vacation Itinerary Advice - Calgary to Vancouver Island

Early 30's couple looking for some advice on a 2 week vacation going from Calgary to Vancouver Island. Does the itinerary look ok?

Any thoughts on hotel choice or activities along route greatly appreciated!

Day 1 - Calgary

- Sheraton Suites

Day 2 - 5 Banff national Park

- EIther one or two hotels (possibly Fairmont Lake Louise and/or Fairmant Banff Springs?)

Day 6-7 Vernon

- Thinking Sparkling Hill hotel

Day 8-9 Vancouver

- Westin

Day 10-14 Vancouver Island

- Thinking Senora Resport or WIckaninnish

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,138 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacation Itinerary Advice - Calgary to Vancouver Island

Welcome to the forum, Craig ~

Are you staying 1 night in Calgary because your plane arrives late? Otherwise it is a fairly straightforward 2 hour drive to Banff.

You might consider the more interesting Kelowna over Vernon.

And after Tofino? You will need 6-7 hours to drive back to Vancouver airport, so another day.

In the Top Questions to the upper right of this forum, you will find a Trip Report collection containing some helpful information about what others did and saw while crossing the province. You might also explore the following website for helpful information. In the left sidebar you will find a link to "regions" as well as a search field for individual names. A good place to start would be with Vernon over against Kelowna.

www.britishcolumbia.com

Activities along the way? Give us a hand and let us know what kinds of things you like to see and do. Culture, hiking, museums, photography, canoeing, bird watching .....

Lethbridge, Canada
Level Contributor
68 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vacation Itinerary Advice - Calgary to Vancouver Island

Excellent hotel choices. However, the Fairmonts are better to visit than to stay at, though. They serve great meals and are wonderful historic buildings, but the rooms are nothing special, really. Well, unless you like old. But for comfort, many modern hotels are better. I'd stay elsewhere and go in for one of your meals.

The Sparkling Hill Resort is a very nice place, but Vernon doesn't turn my crank as much as Kelowna does. If you are just staying in the resort and taking advantage of the facilities, go for it. But for more things to get out and about and do, I'd stay in Kelowna.

As for activities, what time of the year are you visiting?

Edited: 20 January 2013, 01:31
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,767 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vacation Itinerary Advice - Calgary to Vancouver Island

Sonora Resort (I am assuming that is the one you meant for VI), is on the east coast, not really on the island at all. Wickaninnish is on the west coast, just south of Tofino. So the "Wick" gets my vote! You will have a wonderful drive to the west coast of the island as well, with lots to see and do on the way there. And then you have the whole of the Pacific Rim National Park for your back yard.

I agree with the above too, Kelowna over Vernon for sure. Lots of wineries to visit.

Are you flying back home from Vancouver, after your time on the island? You may want to be in Vancouver the night before your flight, depending on the time of year you are here, and when your flight departs.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,138 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vacation Itinerary Advice - Calgary to Vancouver Island

Just checked Sonora Resort. It's across Georgia Strait from Campbell River, Vancouver Island, on the mainland. Their website explains that access is by plane from near Vancouver airport or if you drive to Campbell River (5 hours from Vancouver) they would take you by boat across the Strait. Campbell River is about 4-5 hours from Tofino.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,688 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Vacation Itinerary Advice - Calgary to Vancouver Island

Note that Sonora Resort is located on the east coast of Sonora Island not the mainland as posted.

With Yuculta Rapids & Big Bay as a backdrop it's a drop dead gorgeous spot.

BC, Canada
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Vacation Itinerary Advice - Calgary to Vancouver Island

Sparkling Hill is a beautiful resort, just south of Vernon, and only about a 35 minute drive to Kelowna (on your way to Vancouver). Did you plan to spend a little time in the Okanagan and what types of things would you like to do?

New York City, New...
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Vacation Itinerary Advice - Calgary to Vancouver Island

First off, thank you all for your help here - its much appreciated!

@MarkOnline - Great point on the Fairmont's. We're absolutely looking for something more modern - do you have any suggestions as alternatives?

We'll probably stay in the Sparkling Hill and drive to Kelowna?

The sorts of activities we're looking for are fishing, hiking, Glacier walks, mountain biking and Kayaking.

Our dates are roughly May 10-26

We're undecided on Sonora vs the Wick. Its very expensive but does look pretty awesome. Anyone been?

Thanks again!

Corner Brook, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Vacation Itinerary Advice - Calgary to Vancouver Island

Hi

Our first time travelling out west. We plan to fly to Calgary end of April, stay for 5 days then fly to vancouver for 5 days. We are looking for suggestions on recommended places to see.

We enjoy hiking, fishing, & good palces to eat & shop without breaking the bank!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,767 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vacation Itinerary Advice - Calgary to Vancouver Island

Welcome to TA mjcolbo.

You may want to start your own thread. Look at the top of this page and in blue, you will see "Ask a question". Click on that, and you can get started that way.

Make sure you get on the Calgary page as well, as there are links on the right side and and the left sides of these pages with lots of information for you to peruse.

Have fun planning!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,138 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vacation Itinerary Advice - Calgary to Vancouver Island

Hi there, mjcolbo, and welcome to the forum ~

You will do much better for advice to your unique trip if you post a new question. By tagging on to Craig M's thread, you are pretty much invisible to those who might contribute advice for your trip.

I would suggest you consider making two threads because one part of your trip is, I assume, for the Rockies and the other part for Vancouver, two different sets of local posters answering your question and two different sets of attractions.

Post just what you have written above on the Canadian Rockies Forum, which is here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g659487-i11598-Can…

and the Vancouver Forum which is here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g154943-i81-Vancou…

There is an orange rectangle link "ask a question" just below the Find Hotels button.

In the left sidebar of each and every forum, you will find Things to Do - look through to see what appeals to you. You will also find hotels and restaurants. As well, to the upper right of each and every forum, you will find different sets of Top Questions which are well worth a read. And finally, don't hesitate to open other questions that have been asked and replies being given. Great way to "borrow" advice already on the forums.

Edit: I was typing when Joan posted. :-)

Edited: 03 March 2013, 22:44