We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2-3 Week Honeymoon - June 2014

Which British Columbia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
hurdle1
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Topic
2-3 Week Honeymoon - June 2014

Hello

We are from the UK and looking at planning out Honeymoon to Western Canada. We want to take in Vancouver, Vancouver Island, Rocky Mountaineer rail journey and the Rocky Mountains, Lake Louise etc.

We want to see some wildlife, scenery etc, some outdoor activities but nothing too extreme, as its out honeymoon we would also like to build some relaxation time along the way.

We have 3 weeks off work so are looking to be away form approx 18 nights in total.

Could anyone recommend a good itinerary? Can anyone also recommend a good UK travel firm or would booking independantly be the preferred option?

Thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,773 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2-3 Week Honeymoon - June 2014

Welcome to the forum, hurdle ~

I will repost my reply from the Canada Forum to get you started.

You might like to know that the Top Questions to the upper right of each and every forum hold info about the most commonly asked questions and are helpful with research. There is one article there about choosing routes from Vancouver to Calgary.

On the BC Forum and the Canadian Rockies Forum, in the Top Questions, you will find a collection of Trip Reports that may be of interest. The Canadian Rockies Forum is here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g659487-i11598-Can…

And last but definitely not least open other forum questions to see what is being asked and what replies are being given.

As far as where to go I can say that 4 nights Vancouver would do it, 6-10 nights on Vancouver Island, the Rocky Mountaineer will get you across the province over 1 night, Banff 3-4 nights, day trip to Lake Louise, Jasper 3-4 nights.

You will have to decide if you want to fly out of Calgary or spend 2 more nights looping back to Vancouver. You will want to consider renting a car to get around the Rockies although tour coaches are available. The Rockies' lakes are covered in ice until the first week of June with a number if trails snowed in. I think doing the booking yourselves is quite doable and will allow you more flexibility to make your plans the way you want, especally with the advice you will get on the forums here.

It will be important for you to do the research to get oriented.. It will be down to you to sort what things you will want to see and do, based on your interests. In turn that will tend to sort your itinerary. A website that you might find helpful is:

www.helloobc.com

I would also suggest you look for the latest edition of the book by Frommer called, "British Columbia and the Canadian Rockies."

Here is Frommers website: frommers.com/destinations/britishcolumbia/

When you have the most tentative potential itinerary, give that to us. It really works well when we have something concrete to work with. Some time today, I will do a Google Maps orientation to Vancouver Island. That will help you see driving distances and driving times.

Are you planning to rent a car for the non-RM portions if your trip? What are your travel dates?

hurdle1
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 2-3 Week Honeymoon - June 2014

Thanks for the reply.

After some initial research I have developed a riu itinerary to build on:

London to Vancouver ( 3 nights)

Vancouver to Victoria (2 nights), hire car on last day in Vancouver

Victoria to Tofino (3 nights)

Tofino to Whistler (3 nights)

Whistle to Vancouver (1 night) either drive or one way Rocky Mountaineer

Rocky Mountaineer to Jasper (1 night on way) then(3 nights) plus hire car

Jasper to Lake Louise (2 nights)

Lake Louise to Banff (2 nights)

Calgary to London

Any thoughts?

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 2-3 Week Honeymoon - June 2014

You're heading to the Rockies so skip Whistler unless it's just for a drive on the Sea to Sky highway up 'n back in a day.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,773 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2-3 Week Honeymoon - June 2014

I'm glad you are saving the Rockies until last. That will allow the last of the ice to melt away from the lake surfaces and any snow on any trails to melt.

I will mention July 1st is Canada Day, a very busy weekend as school is out just a couple of days ahead of this. Any reservations should be done in advance. July 4th is American Independence Day, and although Americans don't seem to be coming to Canada as much as they were, for several reasons, some will add to the busy-ness.

You've got a keeper there. I too don't usually put Whistler and the Rockies in the same visit. But if someone knows why they're including it, that's different. Often people see Whistler being touted in some travel brochure. On June 15 in Squamish, the Test of Metal mountain bike race will be happening, so Squamish will be very busy that weekend. You might be able to see some of it if the date matches your visit. The website is www.testofmetal.com

The drive with ferry from Tofino to Whistler will be a long day, maybe 7 hours or so of travel, including 1.5 hours of not driving, on the ferry. Either make a reservation for a ferry so you can arrive 45-60 min ahead of sailing or get to Departure Bay a good hour ahead of sailing.

If you decide to drive in stead of taking the RM, look into Canadian Affair which seems to not have the one way drop fee.

Nice pacing, good time in each location to experience it and enjoy what's there.

Enjoy your trip and please do a Trip Report for us when you get home. :-)

hurdle1
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 2-3 Week Honeymoon - June 2014

Thanks, good advice. Having looked into it more I am not sure about going to Whistler and may and an extra night on Vancouver Idland and an Extra night in the Rockies, not sure yet.

If we keep Whistler in the other way I had thought is doing RM Vancouver to Banff, drive to jasper via lake Louise then take RM to Whistler before flying home out of Vancouver. Does this make more sense or is the original plan better?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,773 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2-3 Week Honeymoon - June 2014

Hmm. Two things immediately come to mind. Mega bucks to take 3 Rocky Mountaineer trains. 1) Vancouver to Banff. one way drop off surcharge for the car to Jasper. 2) Jasper to Whistler. 3) Sea to Sky RM to Vancouver or one way drop surcharge for a car rental. The second thing is how restricted to train tracks and schedule you would be in a location where flexibility is the key to enjoyment.

Unless you went with one of the RM Circle tours and then I'm not sure how that would work. You'd get the 3 trains in the price, but not sure if you would be free or on an organized coach between Banff and Jasper.

The Jasper-Whistler train, IIRC, would follow the Fraser River west to somewhere near Prince George, then turn south to follow the Fraser River down to maybe Williams Lake then cut across west and south to Whistler. The Williams Lake part is high country, dry ranchlands. So the scenery would be somewhat different on that run than the run to Banff. I know the highway between Jasper > Whistler > Vancouver and the Hwy 16 part is long stretches of trees, trees, trees. Coming down into Whistler involves following a river for a bit. There is some merit to flexibility, setting your own route and getting out when you want to get your feet on the ground. IMO. In fact I would endorse the 1 extra night on both VI and the Rockies. But if you drove across the province, take those 2 Whistler nights with the 1 freed up night from the train and make a go for the west Kootenays (Vancouver > 1 night Osoyoos > 2 nights Nelson), up to Revelstoke for a couple of hours and east to Banff. Nelson is in an interesting area, both climatically and historically with plenty to see for one full day. But your plan in post 2 is good.

Decisons, decisions.

hurdle1
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 2-3 Week Honeymoon - June 2014

Excellent info, need to have a good think.

If we only do one RM journey which would you recommend? Vancouver to jasper or Vancouver to Banff then drive between the two.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,773 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2-3 Week Honeymoon - June 2014

Banff is more scenic, then drive.

hurdle1
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 2-3 Week Honeymoon - June 2014

Ok great, lots to think about.

10. Re: 2-3 Week Honeymoon - June 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2014, 05:16