We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

16 day driving tour of BC in May(Vancouver circle)

Which British Columbia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
16 day driving tour of BC in May(Vancouver circle)

Hi,

I will be working in Vancouver this May so am not flexible on dates. My boyfriend will come out to join me on the 11th May at which point we want to get off the beaten track and see as much of BC as possible. I was thinking of an anti-clockwise route to take in the Rockies and reach Prince Rupert for the (May 24) ferry to Port Hardy then down the island and across to Vancouver.

Looking at the BC ferry schedules, Bella Coola isn't an option so we'd need to do the full trip to Prince Rupert.

I'd really like advice on whether the (quite expensive) boat trip north is worthwhile and whether the route from Prince Rupert to the Rockies is a good one. Also, is this too long a journey for 16 days, and any top tips for what we might see on the way.

I like the idea of white water experience, beer watching and anything generally outdoors that will really let us experience BC..

I was also initially dead set on a campervan but willing to take advice if people think car/hotel is a better option!?

Really looking forward to hearing peoples thoughts...

Thanks,

Gemma

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,244 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 16 day driving tour of BC in May(Vancouver circle)

IMO May is the best time to do the Inside Passage-because of the springtime melt you'll see what Cascadia is all about-waterfalls everywhere some high & narrow some sheets of water covering whole hillsides-it's amazing.

The Rockies are mostly in Alberta and there's a specific forum for them with all kinds of info.

May is very early in the season there though and much of the place will still be in winter's grip-you might be better off spending two weeks on Vancouver Island.

2. Re: 16 day driving tour of BC in May(Vancouver circle)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 13 February 2013, 17:44
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 16 day driving tour of BC in May(Vancouver circle)

Thanks SamSalmon - good to hear the inside passage is great at that time of year. I've also just noticed that i can get to Bella Coola if i change at Bella Bella. I didn't really consider issues of how snowy/cold it might still be in May (silly as a Snowboarder!), so may take your advice. Are any of the other more central BC areas key to see, if i spend 1 week on Vancouver island and 1 week on the mainland?

Cheers

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,333 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 16 day driving tour of BC in May(Vancouver circle)

If you want to get off the beaten track then cross the Chilcotin ( drive up from Bella Coola) to Nimpo Lake then to Williams Lake then down to Clinton, Lillouet , hwy 99 to Whistler. I'd do a car rather than camper it will be cold still..the Chilcotin will have nice days but could still be ice at night/early morning.

So you could do Vancouver island for a week then ferry to Bella Coola then drive up to Nimpo then work your way back down to Whistler...

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,040 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 16 day driving tour of BC in May(Vancouver circle)

Our summer vacation a couple of years ago was essentially that, and two weeks was a good length of time, and really, we could have used more time in some places (although some stops were dictated by people to visit).

Vancouver-Williams Lake 3 days (visiting with friends)

Williams Lake - Bella Coola 1 night (if we had more time, a night somewhere along this stretch would have been interesting)

Bella Coola - Port Hardy 24 hrs (amazing trip, so glad we did it, I thought it was as beautiful as the Icefields Parkway). It would be something else to get off along here and spend a few nights in this remote area, but the ferry schedule might leave you stranded for several days when you really only want to spend one or two.

Port Hardy - Telegraph Cove 2 nights (whale watching trip, walking around TC and Port McNeil, day trip out to Alert Bay. All very worthwhile and interesting. Would have liked another day actually)

Telegraph Cove - Courtenay 2 nights (friends) Interesting museum in Courtenay

Courtenay - Tofino 4 nights. What a great way to wrap up this amazing trip. Time to just relax on the beach, wander the rain forests. Didn't do any tours, just a few gentle hikes and a beach day on Long Beach.

Tofino - Vancouver

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,040 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 16 day driving tour of BC in May(Vancouver circle)

Beer watching??? Ok, if you find beer watching, let me know, 'cause that sounds like my idea of a good time! lol

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,491 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 16 day driving tour of BC in May(Vancouver circle)

I kind of got hung up on the beer watching too ;)

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 16 day driving tour of BC in May(Vancouver circle)

Lol everyone, typo clearly close to my heart (ref: beer!)

Thanks for the tips on nights to spend on the Island, also going north from Bella Coola, i hadn't considered that. Was really keen to campervan it, but think i need to wise up and realise it'll still be cold...

9. Re: 16 day driving tour of BC in May(Vancouver circle)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2014, 06:15