We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothing for Rail, cruise tour then US trip

Which British Columbia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lennox Head
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Clothing for Rail, cruise tour then US trip

HI we are taking a Cosmos-CANADIAN-AND-ALASKAN-MASTERPIECE-COACH--ROCKY-MOUNTAINEER tour for 19 days from Vancouver through the Rockies then an Alaskan Cruise back to Vancouver starting May 4 then flying to New York to take a bus tour ( Cosmos Trans America) across the US to Los Angeles for 23 days starting May 24. We are a bit concerned about what clothes to take as we will be going from glaciers to desert and it will be hot by the time we finish. Can you hire snow clothes in Vancouver or buy it cheaply there and leave it behind.

Any ideas?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,330 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clothing for Rail, cruise tour then US trip

Hi John ~

Just to recap for the benefit of others. A Cosmos RM tour to the Rockies, then coach tour back through Sun Peaks and Whistler to Vancouver/Victoria. Cruise to Alaska and back to Vancouver.

In May on the coast here, the weather will be quite pleasant. As you go inland to the Rockies, you will find in May cool days close to freezing overnight. On the cruise, it will very likely be similar to the Rockies in May. Victoria will be balmy with the daffs and tulips long finished.

I don't think you will need snow clothes, instead you will want to bring clothes that you can wear in layers. For BC, the Rockies and the cruise, this might consist of long sleeved turtle neck T-shirts, long sleeved fleecy with hood, medium weight vest, closed toed shoes, long pants, waterproof rain jacket with hood, gloves, toque, scarf. Torso warm + head covered = comfortable. My understanding of cruise life, from what I've read, is that cruises can be just as casual for dress, that you would not necessarily be required to dress formally on board. And you'll be on a HAL ship, so my understanding is that's very good.

Here is a good website to check weather and climate data for any city you like:

www.weatherbase.com/weather/weather.php3…

For the American half of your trip, I would suggest you post on a couple of American forums, perhaps the New York City Forum, the Arizona Forum? the California Forum? as the climate and weather will be different across the country.

Perth
Level Contributor
120 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clothing for Rail, cruise tour then US trip

We did the Trans America tour with Cosmos in May 2010. All kinds of weather from hot and sunny to snow on the ground in Yellowstone. Had mainly short sleeves and shorts/skirts, pair of jeans and a light weight jacket. Clothing is much cheaper in the US and you will have opportunity to do some shopping on the tour if you need extra (or even if you don't!) Have a fantastic time. It's a great trip!

Sidcup, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clothing for Rail, cruise tour then US trip

We are planning to do the Cosmos 17 day Rocky Mountaineer and Alaska cruise at the end of May. We did a US tour with Cosmos last autumn and were grateful for other travellers' tips. Has anyone got any tips for this trip? What are the optional tours like? Good value for money? Do you get good cabins on the cruise? What is food like on the train and cruise? Any info gratefully received.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,330 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clothing for Rail, cruise tour then US trip

Hi caro-arrow ~

You have inadvertently tagged on to a very old thread. Necroposted if you will.

Your questions are unique to you and you would get better results if you started a new topic. I would imagine you came to this thread via a Google search, so if you look down below the reply box you will see an orange button "Ask a question." Choose an effective title and you're off.

Sidcup, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Clothing for Rail, cruise tour then US trip

Thanks! I will repost as suggested.

6. Re: Clothing for Rail, cruise tour then US trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2015, 06:19