We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip from Pemberton to Prince George

Weinstadt, Germany
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Trip from Pemberton to Prince George

Is there any wildlife to be seen on this stretch.

Thank you- Karl

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,019 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip from Pemberton to Prince George

Nope. No trees either.

Ok, sorry, I couldn't resist, but its an odd question. We have coyotes, bears and bald eagles in downtown Vancouver at times. Yes, we have animals that live wild in BC. I really don't understand your question.

Whistler, Canada
Destination Expert
for Whistler
Level Contributor
703 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip from Pemberton to Prince George

Hi Karl,

The stretch of road from Pemberton to Lillooet (Duffey Lake Road) is beautiful and one of my favorite drives in BC. You are quite likely to see wildlife - deer, bear, eagles... Stop on the way at Joffre Lakes for some photos or a hike if you have time.

I have been as far as Quesnel, though that was some time ago. It’s a beautiful drive and you will notice the change in climate and landscape quite amazing -Marie

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,375 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip from Pemberton to Prince George

It's not an odd question at all. They want to know if they can see wildlife on the drive from Pemberton to Prince George. We take for granted that BC is mostly wild and that yes, no matter where you are in BC, there is a chance of spotting wildlife. For a visitor from elsewhere, it's not obvious, hence the question. It's a valid, legitimate question.

To answer your question, yes, there is a chance of seeing wildlife on this drive. It is never guaranteed, but the drive from Pemberton to Prince George is wild.

Here's a video of somebody who saw a bear while riding their motorcycle on the Duffey Lake Road: www.youtube.com/watch…

Edited: 27 February 2013, 23:16
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,744 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip from Pemberton to Prince George

I think I remember you are heading to Jasper after PG. I was driving on Hwy 16 just east of Purden Lake when I saw a moose. Someone had said if they were around they would be on the far side of a wide grassy area against the trees. And sure enough this one was against the trees. It was about 1 km away and it would have been good to have binoculars.

Also look at any fence posts along the side of the road/highway. Hawks seem to love to perch on fence posts. It's puzzling to see a post "extension," not moving, looking almost like all the rest of the fence posts. Then once you have passed, your neck bending backwards to doublecheck, you realize it would be a good idea to watch more carefully.

Possibly like this: http://tinyurl.com/d3dgxom

or this: http://tinyurl.com/c49438j

or this: http://tinyurl.com/d7prbsc

or even somewhere like this: http://tinyurl.com/cunspne

Weinstadt, Germany
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip from Pemberton to Prince George

Thanks for all the considere replies. My question must sound

foolish to you people living here. We are from Germany and

0ur wildlife consists of seeing a deer or a hare-if we are lucky.

So thanks once again for your understanding and patience.---Karl

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,744 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip from Pemberton to Prince George

Not foolish at all. We still have wildlife and visitors come here in part because we do. Just as in Germany, we too are lucky to see any.

Sechelt, BC
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
3,048 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip from Pemberton to Prince George

I have taken that trip numerous times to Prince George but have only seen animals once or twice along that route and it was a deer running across the road to take cover in the bush. In a split second and a blink of an eye they were gone.

Best luck I have had seeing critters while driving is along hwy 26 to the Wells/Barkerville areas. (It’s not on the way to Prince George but a turnoff from Hwy 97 North of Quesnel and out of your way). I have seen plenty of animals (bears, moose, deer, wolves, coyotes, lots of whistle pigs and the biggest jackrabbit evah) along that hwy during my frequent trips into Barkerville. I saw more in the spring times but only a couple of critter sightings in the summers and more when travelling very early in the day.

One spring I was lucky enough to see a grizzly sow with her triplets on three separate occasions. Not a lot of traffic on that hwy so it’s easy to pull over and watch or photograph any animals you might see - just remember to keep your distance and stay within an arms reach of your car door.

Weinstadt, Germany
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip from Pemberton to Prince George

Thank you so much for your report.We will try to get on Hwy97.and 26.

That really sounds promising. Regards Karl

Weinstadt, Germany
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip from Pemberton to Prince George

The fact that you didn't understand our question shows enough about you.

<thanks anyway. Regards from snowy Gemany. Karl

10. Re: Trip from Pemberton to Prince George

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 March 2013, 11:35