We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Week in Nanoose Bay--across from Vancouver--I have questions

Which British Columbia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,449 posts
133 reviews
Save Topic
Week in Nanoose Bay--across from Vancouver--I have questions

We're spending a week in Nanoose Bay, across from Vancouver, and we would like advice on how best to enjoy the area, visit Vancouver, Victoria, etc. We're looking for advice on sights not to be missed, restaurants we would like, difficulty of using the ferrys, and anything else that seems like it would be good if we knew. Is if practical to visit Vancouver on day trips or should we plan on staying overnight in the city?

Any help will be appreciated.

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
561 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Week in Nanoose Bay--across from Vancouver--I have questions

If you really want to see Vancouver, I would stay there for at least one night. Between getting to the ferry in Nanaimo and then the ferry ride itself, will take about 2 hours total, not including waiting for the ferry and then driving into Vancouver. So, in all you are probably looking at at least 3 hours each way to get to and from Vancouver, which for a total of around 6 hours of travel time would not leave you much time to see even the highlights of Vancouver, much less anything else.

Getting to the ferry from Nanoose is not a problem. It'll probably take you 30 minutes or less to get to the ferry at Departure Bay in Nanaimo. You don't say when you will be in Nanoose - that will be what affects your ability to get on the ferry. If you are here in the summer and travelling on a weekend (esp. a long weekend) on the ferry, you may want to consider reserving a spot, just to guarantee you get on at the time you want. As I recall it costs about $17.00 to reserve (in addition to the fare for the car and driver/passengers). You can even reserve the same day you want to travel (based on availability) if you are not sure what day you want to travel. Check out the BC Ferries website for more info, schedules, fares, etc. (www.bcferries.bc.ca/). If however, you are travelling before July and especially mid-week you would probably have no trouble getting on the ferry without a reservation. Just get there early enough to be sure you get on the ferry you want (at least 30 minutes early).

Driving down to Victoria will take you about 2 hours. Many people who travel to Victoria like to check out Butchart Gardens and the Inner Harbour, among other places. There are a number of attractions in the Inner Harbour including the Legislative Buildings (they have guided tours), the Royal BC Museum, Undersea Gardens and the Wax Museum. I'm sure other posters will have many more ideas. Again, like the trip to Vancouver, it is technically doable as a day trip, but you might enjoy it much more if you can stay overnight. There'd be less of a rush and you can see more. We live about 3 hours away from Victoria and have done it as a day trip for work or school on occasion, but it makes for a very long day and we try to avoid doing that now.

Anyways, these are just my ideas. Hope they help you out. Possibly other posters have more/better suggestions...

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,449 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Week in Nanoose Bay--across from Vancouver--I have questions

Thanks, and the point about travel time is well taken. We'll plan on spending a night in Vancouver and maybe one in Victoria as well. We arrive in Nanoose Bay Sept 10th. We're hoping the weather will be beautiful and the crowds will be thinner.

Looking forward to even more advice.

Pat

Comox,British...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Week in Nanoose Bay--across from Vancouver--I have questions

Hi pstreet1

In September the weather can be the best and the crowds start to dwindle.I would recommend a trip to Victoria for sure and depending if you want the busyness I would take a trip to Vancouver also.Another idea is to go to Port ALberni and take the MV Lady Rose up the inlet.Another trip would be up to the Comox Valley its only a little over an hours drive from Nanoose and check out Mount Washington you can take scenic chairlift (the view is awesome ) and you can go for a walk on the trails and have something to eat in the restaurant etc.Also go to Coombs Market.There a few more ideas.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,449 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Week in Nanoose Bay--across from Vancouver--I have questions

These sound good too--please keep those ideas coming. We're very excited about our first trip to Canada.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,151 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Week in Nanoose Bay--across from Vancouver--I have questions

I've stayed in Nanoose and can say with confidence that an early morning swim across the bay & back is the best hangover cure ever!

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,449 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Week in Nanoose Bay--across from Vancouver--I have questions

In that case, I'd better resign myself to not getting a hangover or to being unable to avail myself of the best cure. :)

7. Re: Week in Nanoose Bay--across from Vancouver--I have questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 02:17