We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gypsy gps apps

Leicester
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
gypsy gps apps

hi

Will be driving through the Canadian Rockies in June visiting from UK. I intend downloading Gypsy GPS apps on to my Apple mini cellular i pad. As I have just purchased this product and myself and my wife are 63 years old we are not sure how we get the apps to work do I need to be connected to a network,such as 3g or 4g in Canada.I have read in some posts that my i pad should have a GPS chip in it.If it has do I still need network connection.If I need a network can anybody suggest any

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,868 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: gypsy gps apps

I'm far from a techie but I can tell you that there is no network signal anywhere in between the cities in the Rockies. Unless it preloaded I don't see how it would work. Gypsy normally rents the entire unit then gets the signal by satellite, but if downloading it I don't have a clue how you'd get a signal. I can tell you that there is no cellalr between Lk Louise and Jasper.

Mentioned in this post
Jasper
Jasper
Jasper National Park, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
64,184 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: gypsy gps apps

I answered on your Canada Forum thread, but have just been thinking a bit. I have an iPad without wireless capability, which means I have to find coffee shops, restaurants etc so I can use their wifi hotspots. The 3G model was just that much more expensive and I can easily find coffee shops.

I have a Vancouver Transit app but I cannot use it outside of those wifi hotspots. I have no 3G of my own. And as David states, there is no wifi to "borrow". I also have newspaper apps that I can read anywhere.

I wish I could be more helpful, but may have only muddied the water.

But just to have you clarify. Are you talking about a GPS navigational tool to help you make the right turns on the roads? or are you talking about the GyPSy Guide app version, that gives you commentary when you approach an attraction?

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Leicester
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: gypsy gps apps

Hi

Yes I mean the gypsy talking App. My hertz hire car has a intergrated normal GPS system.I also see on Gypsy App web page there is no App yet for Vancouver Island so I might just stick with the rented unit

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver Island
Vancouver Island
British Columbia, Canada
Leicester
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: gypsy gps apps

Hi

I proberly know less than you about how these hi tech phones and i pads work. I maybe wrong but I thought 3g and 4g systems get there signal off satellite like Gypsy rented unit.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
64,184 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: gypsy gps apps

I only know that wifi is broadband internet without wires and it uses radio waves, just like TV or mobile phones. And Global Positioning Systems involve satellites that transmit signals to equipment on the ground, I think usually positioning coordinates. So I think the iPads use a radio signal through a wifi connection.

I could be wrong but I think 3G and 4G just means the version, G for generation. Sort of like a new model of the same car each year, except with electronics it's more like a new model every week!

Maybe someone with a techie background will come on.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
20,685 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: gypsy gps apps

I'm not a techie either. Aren't 3G and 4G cellular networks? I'm pretty sure you need to be close to one of the mobile companies' towers for those to work. This page has maps showing 3G and 4G coverage with Telus Mobility, but as I recall, the Rogers' coverage map is similar: https:/…3Gplus.shtml

7. Re: gypsy gps apps

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 31 March 2013, 18:05
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
29,738 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: gypsy gps apps

The G describes the network and relates to the speed with which you can download data. These are the signals that work with phones, and are different from wifi which works through the internet via a router. They each use a different part of the radio spectrum and Europe licenses different parts of the spectrum for phone use than in NA. However, I believe all the recent technology is what they call "quad band" which means it can access signals on different parts of the radio spectrum depending on where you are in the world. I believe they are backwards compatible,

David makes the main point - the fact that you will not have a phone signal through most of the Rockies and the 3G/4G signal requires a connection with a mobile phone tower. I am not familiar with the Gyspy software and if it downloads to your iPad, but if you do not have the information locally on your machine, it will not be available to you outside of the towns where you would have mobile phone connections.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
24,417 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: gypsy gps apps

I downloaded the free Calgary to Banff guide and it says "This app does not require any use of data after you have downloaded the app."

That means the map data is stored in the download, therefore you do NOT require any 3G data and it doesn't matter if there is no cellular reception along the route. The Gypsy Guide app will work.

Other apps such as Google Maps download the map as you move from 1 spot to another and that would require cellular coverage.

GPS gets the signals from satellites for free. It gives a co-ordinate meaningless to most people. The map shows you where that co-ordinate is in a way you can understand.

Mentioned in this post
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Banff
Banff
Banff National Park, Canada
10. Re: gypsy gps apps

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 31 March 2013, 18:53
Edited: 31 March 2013, 18:53