We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 week holiday in British Columbia - Best places to camp?!

Which British Columbia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
7 posts
Save Topic
2 week holiday in British Columbia - Best places to camp?!

Hi everyone,

I am planning a trip to British Columbia from the 7th of June for 2 weeks. I plan on beginning in Victoria on Vancouver Island and finishing in Vancouver for the last 3 days.

I will be driving and plan on camping around Vancouver Island and mainland Vancouver. I am looking for a good balance of campsites which offer great outdoor activities and spectacular views, but also campsites close by to interesting cities so that i can soak in some fine Canadian culture.

Any advice on campsites and places to visit would be much appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!!

Alex

Blind Bay, BC
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 week holiday in British Columbia - Best places to camp?!

This site has camping & RV parks to choose from :

http://www.travel-british-columbia.com/

Here are some reviews:

rvparkreviews.com/regions/British_Columbia/

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,166 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 week holiday in British Columbia - Best places to camp?!

Personally, I prefer BC provincial parks for camping over private "RV parks", which are often more like a parking lot with a few trees and picnic tables around. But I am a tenter and don't require RV hook-ups (which most BC provincial parks don't have).

It's been many years since I camped there, but I do remember Rathtrevor Beach PP being a particularly awesome campground.

Edited: 11 April 2013, 17:24
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,079 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 week holiday in British Columbia - Best places to camp?!

Tent camping or RV camping?

Tofino for sure, and yes, I'd agree with krp. If you can do without power, I much prefer the government campsites.

I have not yet managed to get to Tribune Bay, but its on my list!

www.hornbyisland.com/beaches/big-tribune/

I'd suggest you do the loop that includes the Sunshine Coast.

http://goo.gl/maps/diq2T

Surrey, Canada
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 week holiday in British Columbia - Best places to camp?!

Porteau Cove is gorgeous for either tents or RVs if you can get a reservation. The sites are right at the ocean. It is about 30min drive from West Vancouver (restaurants and a nice mall with both high end and moderate stores) and about an hour north of Vancouver.

There are two campgrounds near Fort Langley (1 1/4 hours East of Vancouver) that are right on the river & have lots of trees. One is a Provincial campground and one is private. I can't think of the names. Fort Langley is a good place to visit for a day or two. There are restaurants and small stores for shopping. It is an attractive town. The Fort is a historical museum.

Save Reply
5. Re: 2 week holiday in British Columbia - Best places to camp?!

I will be travelling in a large car but most of the camping will be by tent. I would prefer campsites with shower facilities but if they are worth going to i dont mind not showering for a few days! Thanks KRP i think i will choose the provincial parks as they are much cheaper aswell!

Places to visit on my list include:

Tofino

Campbell River

Nanaimo

Victoria

Whistler

Porteau Cove

Squamish

Are they any other must see places or campsites on Vancouver mainland?

Mountain springs or something like that?

Thanks very much to everyone posting you've all been a great help!

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 week holiday in British Columbia - Best places to camp?!

Bella Pacifica Campground on Mackenzie Beach near Tofino is beautiful. Has RV sites as well as tent sites. Right on the ocean. Pay per use showers and dishwashing stations. I've stayed there and we loved it. Here's the link: http://bellapacifica.com/. As KRP said Rathtrevor Beach near Parksville is gorgeous too.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,079 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 week holiday in British Columbia - Best places to camp?!

Sorry, post 3

Edited: 12 April 2013, 15:28
Banks, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,337 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 week holiday in British Columbia - Best places to camp?!

Well, as long as you're going to Whistler, Nairn Falls isn't that much further north-I have enjoyed the Provincial park campground there-plus there's a trail to the falls - great way to start the day and see some wildlife along the way.

…gov.bc.ca/bcparks/…

And also, there is alice lake campground south of Whistler.

BC Provincial Parks are great-I agree----and very well kept-clean and have everything you need-firewood usually, water, firepit, picnic table.

Enjoy your trip!! :)

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,688 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 week holiday in British Columbia - Best places to camp?!

Waves to Chrissy!!!

Rathrevor Beach DOES have showers. Little Qualicum Falls, does NOT, although I love that place. Lower Campground is right by the river. The upper campsite is warmer, but you have to hike down to the river.

Green Point, south of Tofino (a National park), does NOT have showers. Amazing, but true. They do have running hot water in the washrooms though, and we usually take an ice cream bucket and sponge bath if we are staying there longer than a few days.

On Hornby Island, there are no campsites at Tribune Bay park. They have an education program for the school kids, and as far as I know, that is not open to the public for camping. There is still Tribune Bay campsite, right by the park though. And Bradsdadsland as well.

In Nanaimo, no government sites, unless you have a boat, or take the boat over to Newcastle Island. Living Forest Campsite, just south of the city, wins a lot of awards. I'd rather go the half hour north of Nanaimo to Rathtrevor though.

Hope you get some great weather. And make sure you stop at Coombs if you head to Tofino. See the Goats on the Roof!

Oh, another one... Sproat Lake. There is the campsite on the lake side, and across the highway. Try to get a site on the lake side if you end up there.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 week holiday in British Columbia - Best places to camp?!

Hi Joan :) Been ignoring British Columbia while planning Maui lately so thought I'd best get back on track. I just wanted to post a link to some pictures I took while camping at Bella Pacifica in August 2010 to give OP and idea of how beautiful the west coast of Vancouver Island is. Remember too that when camping in that area it will get cold at night....we wore jackets most of the time. Dress in layers. https:/…