We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Canada down through the US, Mexico, Brazil,

Which British Columbia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling from Canada down through the US, Mexico, Brazil,

Hi,

We're planning on a year trip travelling from Canada to Argentina, potentially stopping to work in an international school in central America. The idea is to buy a car in order to go where we want. Any advice on anything would be muchly appreciated as we're only just beginning to look into it all now!

Thanks, Lucy and Ben

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
16,747 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling from Canada down through the US, Mexico, Brazil,

Road trip forum

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

And remember, google maps is your friend

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,710 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling from Canada down through the US, Mexico, Brazil,

We checked with ICBC (the crown corp for car ins) about this last year and they said that its possible to insure a car through them when traveling. However, keep in mind that you may find the insurance in invalid once you cross into some of the south American countries. However, as a minimum of insurance is required to license a car in Canada, you'll have to cough up in order to drive the car off the lot.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,936 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling from Canada down through the US, Mexico, Brazil,

If this is a one-way trip, you will have to check into the import requirements for the country where you plan to leave the car.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling from Canada down through the US, Mexico, Brazil,

HI,

Thanks for all your advice. We're now thinking that we will buy a car in Canada - we have friends who will be our permanent base and we can register it there, then drive Canada and America going where we want before returning to Canada to sell the car. From here, we're going to fly to central America and use buses for the rest of the trip. Does this sound a better idea? Advice from this?

Thanks!!

Lucy and Ben

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,154 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling from Canada down through the US, Mexico, Brazil,

Sounds better.

Have driven from Vancouver to Melaque in Mexico. Driving in Mexico was not overally difficult but the 'free' roads were busy and the 'toll roads' a little expensive (for many North Americans anyways). You need to be aware of many on road obstacles at night and thus most drive only during the daytime. There seems to be a freer interpretation of the driving rules in Mexico and therefore many accidents. Separate insurance in Mexico was required as ICBC insurance (the mandatory insurance required for vehicles in British Columbia) was not valid in Mexico. Sometimes I wish I had been on buses instead.

In your planning, also consider your medical insurance requirements for United States. Doubt the NHS would pay for US health care so you need to figure out those details with BUPA or whomever you use.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling from Canada down through the US, Mexico, Brazil,

Hi,

Thanks for this. I'm pretty sure we're not going to drive in Mexico - i think we'll fly to Mexico and then bus it from then on. Do the states accept insurance from Canada do you know? We'll be looking into travel insurance nearer the time - i think getting one that covers medical will be the way forward for this.

Thanks, Lucy and Ben

BC
Level Contributor
4,079 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling from Canada down through the US, Mexico, Brazil,

It is very easy to get around Mexico and Central America by bus. And very cheap, as well. If you shop around you will be able to get a flight to somewhere in Mexico for a good price from Canada.

It can be expensive to get from Central America to South America, so you will have to research your options for that part of your trip.

You will want to buy your medical insurance before you leave the UK. You guys are all insurance crazy there, and you will have a lot more options. Emergency medical care in Canada can be very expensive, not as crazy as the USA, but costly if it involves a hospital.

Bring your record of car insurance from the UK with you, maybe you can get a discount on your insurance in Canada if you have that.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,154 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling from Canada down through the US, Mexico, Brazil,

Yes your Canadian vehicle insurance will be valid in the USA.

Pumpermom's recommendation about bringing a record of car insurance is a good one. It may take a while for your insurer to acknowledge ICBC's request but they savings can up to 40% (I believe).

I neglected to mention that your choices for travel and medical insurance coverage will be much better in the UK than here.

London
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling from Canada down through the US, Mexico, Brazil,

Hey Lucy and Ben we are planning the same trip-you may be doing it now we are going August any tips from your adventures?

Thanks Megan and Jen

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,936 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling from Canada down through the US, Mexico, Brazil,

From what I understand, you will hit the "end of the road" in Panama, and getting a vehicle from there to South America is expensive... you will want to do some research about the "Darian gap".