We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 day drive between Vancouver and Calgary

Which British Columbia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
7 day drive between Vancouver and Calgary

Hi everyone, looking for some advice on routes/places to visit...

Myself and my partner are visiting Canada in September this year, we arrive in Vancouver on friday 13th and are planning to leave on monday 16th after spending the weekend in the city. We will be hiring a car for the duration of the drive until we reach Calgary on monday 23rd where we will be catching a flight to Toronto.

After doing some research into a route to take, we are still slightly unsure.We want to get a real feel for the Rockies! Important places for us to visit will be Banff, Lake Louise and the Iceparks, we also like the look of Nelson and Jasper. Lots of people mention Kamloops, however on first impressions im not so sure? We love to see mountains, lakes and beautiful scenic drives. We also appreciate unique towns aswell... we are confident drivers, and happy to do a reasonable amount of driving each day if neccessary?

This whole trip is planned by us alone, we will be booking all our accommodation seperately, so we are completely open to ideas!

Any tips on routes to take, or places not to miss out on would be most appreciated! :)

Kirsty

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 day drive between Vancouver and Calgary

I asked a similar question, not too long ago and by the answers I received, it seems that you are spending essentially the minimum amount of time that you should to get an appreciation of the Rockies....it seems that you should plan to spend a minimum of two days in and around Banff... I'm sure others will provide much better and more detailed advice...but enjoy your adventure!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
679 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 day drive between Vancouver and Calgary

Problem with (Western) Canada is, it's too big and too beautiful. So it always comes down to making choices; include this, leave out that. But if you want to include Nelson(and I would, it's a nice town and a lovely region) I'd choose to go the southern route along highway 3. Maybe stay in or around Osoyoos and spend a(half) day in the southern Okanagan and visit a winery perhaps. The next day drive to Nelson and a visit to a hot springs if you're keen on that, Ainsworth Hot Springs are lovely. Day three follow hwy 3A and 31 to Kaslo, Nakusp and from there hwy 23 to the ferry in Galena Bay and further on to Revelstoke , Golden, where you could stay overnight. That would leave you with four days to explore Yoho, the Icefields Parkway and The Rockies.

London, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 day drive between Vancouver and Calgary

tdsuperstar - i wish i had more time to spend, typically trying to fit as much in as possible whilst there!

Wallie R - Many thanks for this suggested route, it sounds good and I'll be sure to look into this. Unfortunately yes, we are finding that sacrifices are having to be made to fit the time, although im sure 7 days will allow us to see lots of this beautiful area! :)

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 day drive between Vancouver and Calgary

I would have to second Wallie R's suggestion.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,583 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 day drive between Vancouver and Calgary

I'd skip the overnight in Golden

1 night Oliver. Great wineries. 16th

1 night Nelson. 17 th

Drive Nelson to Banff. 5 1/2 hr drive

2 nights Banff. 18/19

Drive Ice Fields Parkway

2 nights Jasper. 20/21

Drive Ice Fields Parkway south

1 night Banff. 22nd

23rd. To Calgary.

The Ice Fields Parkway is sorth driving twice. Different views. Different stops. Allows for posdible bad weather

I think you should spend as much time as possible in the actual Rockies.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,554 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 day drive between Vancouver and Calgary

Personally, although I really like the Kootenays, I would not prioritize them over the Rockies. I would plan for 2 nights in Jasper and 3 in Banff and work backwards from there. I really think that adding in Osoyoos and Nelson needs more time than you have and it will come at the cost of spending time in the best places in the Rockies.

London, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 day drive between Vancouver and Calgary

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! really appreciated! we now have lots of ideas for places to visit.

traveller47 - we had considered driving the iceparks both ways, and i think this is now cofirmed for us!! :)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,073 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 7 day drive between Vancouver and Calgary

Just an aside, but the reason why a lot of people mention Kamloops is because it's a halfway point between Vancouver and the Rockies - not because it in itself is a popular destination. People stop there to sleep and continue their journey the next morning.

9. Re: 7 day drive between Vancouver and Calgary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2014, 06:18