We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Plug Adapter

Which British Columbia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle, Australia
6 posts
Save Topic
Travel Plug Adapter

Hi, Live in Australia and travelling to British Columbia and Alaska. Do I need a travel plug adapter? I just wish to charge my camera.

Thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,716 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Plug Adapter

Welcome to the forum Angel ~

Here is a link to the electrical plug in information you need. We're the same as the US, so Alaska as well.

www.adaptelec.com/index.php…

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,260 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Plug Adapter

G'day Angel, and also welcome to the forums from myself.

The correct adapter such as linked by Mufti should easily be purchased from a luggage shop. That is where I purchased mine from. I bought a single male double female unit so that I could charge camera batteries and notebook at the same time overnight.

Newcastle, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Plug Adapter

Thank you very much.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Plug Adapter

Don't forget to check that anything you plug in is "dual-voltage". North America runs on 120V while Australia is 240V. Most modern chargers will have small print that says something like "100V-240V" which means that a plug adapter is all you need.

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,753 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Plug Adapter

If not you will need a converter as well as an adapter, which are relatively heavy and expensive

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,260 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel Plug Adapter

A converter would only be necessary for things like hair dryers or older portable products. Don't put the scares into Angel as the question only related to charging batteries for a camera.

gxp
Niagara
Level Contributor
2,194 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel Plug Adapter

Yes, all you needis a plug adapter. All electronics like cameras, computers have power supplies that work on all 120-240v 50-60 Hz power. Years ago I bought a movie camera and used it in Europe (240v 50 Hz) and at that time they didn't have the 240v rating on the supply but was told that was because it hadn't been approved by CSA yet.

Nowdays with everything made overseas, it's cheaper to have universal power supplies and then just provide the cord end for the country it is sold in. That's why the plug end is usually a seperate piece.

Also good to have a power bar so only one adapter required and plug your gadgets into the bar.

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,753 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel Plug Adapter

Just got back from SE Asia and having the power bar was a huge help although a bit large( ish) to lug in my bag

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel Plug Adapter

I have an electric toothbrush that is single voltage, and a couple of years ago had a cell phone with a single-voltage charger. While single-voltage is increasingly rare, not everything can just be plugged in.

I added that information so that Angel -- or any other Aussie coming across this thread -- would know to check before using other devices. Looking for a voltage rating is not a difficult or scary activity.

10. Re: Travel Plug Adapter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2014, 05:17