We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money

Which British Columbia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle, Australia
6 posts
Save Topic
Money

When travelling to Canada, whats the best way to store your money? What do people use for cash? Is a prepaid cash card a good idea? Thank you

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,773 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money

Hi Angel ~

When I travel I take a small amount of the destination country's currency in small denominations. This helps with tips, vending machines and small purchases in the short term after arrival. Then I will use my bank debit card to withdraw a chunk of cash out of an ATM. There is usually a transaction fee, so I don't like to take out a lot of small withdrawals. I usually pay for hotels, car rentals, big ticket items with my credit card, having the money back home to pay the bill when it comes. Meals can be either VISA or cash, depending. You need to check with your bank to see what transaction fees and other charges they make when you use your card out of the country. One recent poster was pleasantly surprised to find that she could have 4 free withdrawals from an ATM here, so it pays to find out what the deal it.

To store your money, you could use a cotton waist pouch or a neck pouch, which you an find in a travel store, and a daily amount in your wallet. I like a neck pouch in some cases because it doesn't get hot and wet like a waist pouch does right up against your body. I personally never use a prepaid cash card. I try to appear the same way I appear in my home town, which doesn't draw any special attention. Be aware of your surroundings and watch your possessions.

I like using VISA whenever possible because there is a built in dispute process there in case something goes sideways. I like that back up because I have to leave this destination country at a set time and can't stay to resolve any issues. And I don't want to bother taking time from a vacation to resolve issues either, truth be known.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,175 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money

Credit cards typically give you a good exchange rate. You can "preload" your credit card if you prefer - go to your bank and put a deposit on it so that you have a balance to start the vacation with.

Otherwise, these days, you just use bank machines to make cash withdrawals as needed. Because of the fees using international banking systems, we usually try to make the largest withdrawal we can, and then use money belts (special pouches worn next to the skin) to carry anything over and above our daily needs.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money

From experience the travel cashcards aren't always reliable. They won't work in some places at all and other times they work sometimes but not all the time.

I also make use of the in room safes or reception safe boxes, if I'm carrying a larger amount of cash and don't need it on me that day.

I personally don't like the hidden travel wallets (waist or neck). They aren't comfortable and the neck ones in particular point you out as a tourist to anyone who is taking notice, if the cord is visible around your neck. If I am wearing socks I often slip a credit card and a small amount of cash in my socks, in case of emergency.

Otherwise, I take some currency with me and then use ATM's in the America's and Europe (money changers in Asia).

I also have a 29 degree mastercard from GE money. This card has no international transaction or exchange fees on it. The rate is excellent and you aren't slugged with other charges.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,099 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money

I agree with Whinnie, the 28 Degrees MasterCard is an excellent option. Citibank have an account that is apparently great fir cash withdrawal . If you can spare the time to wade your way through this thread from the Oz forum you will find most Australian travellers have positive things to say about 28 Degrees & Citibank.

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g255055-i120-k4…

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,773 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money

For many trips, I never bothered with a waist or neck pouch. Although I did try a waist pouch many years ago and swore off it as body heat made it moist and yucky. I would think the modern styles would deal with moisture much better. More recently, I went to a country that was known for pickpockets. I bought a cotton neck pouch and gave it a good trial run around town for a day or two. I found that it was comfortable and the cord didn't show, even with a T-shirt. There are lousy designs and better quality ones. Mine is by Austin House. It was about $10-12 dollars, is breathable and wicks moisture away. Eagle Creek makes a nice one for about $16.

Edited: 28 April 2013, 08:48
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Money

How can a cord around your neck not show with a T-shirt?????????????

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,773 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Money

Whinnie, it was important that the cord didn't show. That's why the trial run.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Money

That is what I am asking, it's a serious question. How was it that the cord didn't show when wearing a T-shirt? Or maybe the shape of my neck is different to yours, because a cord around my neck will always show when not wearing clothes with a collar on them.

I am leaving on a 6 weeks trip in 4 days and thinking about the clothes I have packed for this trip there is only 1 outfit in my bag that I could wear a neck wallet with and have it not show and that's one that I have packed specifically for Alaska. All the other outfits, wearing a neck wallet would be obvious as soon a was to go indoors in Alaska and everywhere else where I won't have to be wearing layers.

If I were to pack only clothes that I could wear a neck wallet with, my travelling wardrobe would be very limited to say the least and entirely not suitable for some forms of travel and destinations.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
10,926 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Money

Actually I'm curious as well. Where fid you get the Austin House pouch. I 've used one of the Eagle Creek belt loop pouches for years and love them..but I always wear slacks and thepouch isn't around the waist. Might be i tersting to try the neck one.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,773 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Money

I had no problems using it on that trip with neckless or necked clothing. My shirts and T-shirts seemed to ride high enough I guess. lol Maybe my neck rides low enough! If I travelled again to a country known for pickpockets, I would use it again. To each their own method according to body type, clothing style and personal preference I guess.

T47, I got it at either Travel Bug or Gullivers (now gone), probably Travel Bug on Broadway. I know it wasn't Wanderlust.