We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancouver island

Level Contributor
2 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Vancouver island

My wife and I are visiting Vancouver Island for 4 nights in late August/early September and we are looking for ideas/itineraries. We hope to start in Victoria and travel around the island and would like to take in some whale watching. Other than that we are open to suggestions. We are both in our mid thirties and will be travelling without kids.

I look forward to your suggestions.

Adventure Tofino - Wildlife Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Boat Tours
Archipelago Wildlife Cruises
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching
Eagle Wing Whale Watching Tours
Boat Tours, Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,943 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vancouver island

Unfortunately the Island doesn't have a perimeter road so there is always some doubling back. Drive times are considerable. I would see Victoria and work my way Tofino way but you might explore the Vancouver Island forum page or Victoria/Tofino forum pages and read a bit to get the lay of the land. It will be helpful if you update your info so we can see where you are from.

Level Contributor
2 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vancouver island

Hi again,

Thanks for the update. We are travelling from the UK and will be in BC for a fortnight from August 24. Couple of days in Vancouver, a few in Whistler, down to Seattle for a weekend and then onto Vancouver Island.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
28,975 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vancouver island

Vancouver Island is a two week destination all on its own (at least!). With only four days, you have some tough choices to make. As you've already stated you want to go to Victoria, then it looks like its the south island for you. People will do two nights Victoria and two nights Tofino, but that's a 5 hr drive between them and another 5 - 6 hours to return to Vancouver.

When planning my own vacations, I look at anything over 4 hours as a non-sightseeing day. Once you are planning to put in 5 - 6 hours of driving, there's not a lot of time left over to do more than road side pull outs and basic necessities. If I want us to be able to stop somewhere, walk around, tour, take photos, then I try to limit to 4 hours of driving to make sure we can fit it all in.

Vancouver to Victoria - 4 hours of traveling

Victoria to Tofino - 5 hours of traveling

Tofino back to Vancouver - 5+ hours of traveling

So, that leaves you with 1.5 days of seeing things.

Personally, I'd stick with the Pacific Marine Circle Route, with two nights in Victoria, a night along the coast somewhere on the way to Port Renfrew and then a night somewhere like Cowichan Lake or perhaps get across to Saltspring Island to round it out.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
62,973 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vancouver island

Monday Sept 2 makes our Labour Day long weekend before school goes in on the Tuesday. The roads and ferries will be very busy and any ferry ressies will be a must. Better if you could BE somewhere over that weekend rather than TRAVEL that weekend. I see you're thinking Seattle for that.

Vancouver Island is 1.5 times larger than Wales. You could look at 3 nights in Victoria, 1 full day to visit the city and get out to Butchart Gardens, 1 day to do a day trip such as the PMCR as mentioned, about 5 hours return to Port Renfrew, with stops extra. On the other night, you could head up Island, visiting points of interest on the way to Parksville or Qualicum Beach. The surrounding area there has a number of attractions:

Cathedral Grove

North Island Wildlife Recovery Centre

Coombs Farm Market

Rathtrevor Prov Park

the wide sand beaches to walk out on at low tide

Then come back to Vancouver, the evening before your flight out, not on the day of your flight, from Departure Bay (Nanaimo) to Horseshoe Bay (Vancouver) for your last night in Vancouver, all set to fly out.

You could actually spend 4 nights in Victoria, with 2 full days for the activities and points of interest around there, then 1 full day for the PMCR. Again, head back to Vancouver the night before your flight out. If you need to borrow one of your initial nights in Vancouver to tuck in at the end, that would work fine.

5. Re: Vancouver island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2014, 05:16