We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Book rooms or not ?

Which British Columbia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Book rooms or not ?

Hi guys preparing for our trip in Oct to BC ......from the 9th Oct we will be travelling from Vancouver ( accom already sorted for here) to Banff and Jasper taking about 3-4 days to get there, do you think we should book rooms for this part of our journey ? Don't want to limit ourselves to only staying somewhere 1 night when we may want to spend more time in a place. I understand that thanksgiving is around this time so that could cause a problem.

Thanks in advance for your comments

Cheers Eddie (UK)

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,753 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Book rooms or not ?

If its weighing on your mind at all then definitely book , and put yourself at ease

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,178 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Book rooms or not ?

You should definitely book ahead for the resort towns in the Rockies for Thanksgiving weekend, but other than that, you should be fine... tourism is waning at that time of year.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,112 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Book rooms or not ?

Thanksgiving Weekend is Monday, October 14th, so that's one to watch for sure. Its a popular time to get away as its often the last of the good weather, so things could be booked up over that weekend.

Otherwise, I'd say book ahead as you go. So, call from one town to book for the following night. Make a list now of the places you think you'd like to stay and keep their contact information with you. Perhaps check a few days ahead to see if they have rooms. Its also worth checking cancellation policies. If they don't mind if you cancel, better to book and then cancel than to spend time trying to find a room.

One big consideration I have when choosing to travel this way is the amount of TIME you can waste driving around trying to find a place to stay. When you are already booked, then you drive up, dump your bags, and get back to your holiday. Trying to find a place to stay unplanned every night can eat up an hour or more of time when you could be squeezing in to an attraction or location at the end of the day before they close.

Another consideration at that time of year - shorter day length and opening hours. I would still plan this trip carefully so that you have that information and can organize your day. I hate arriving somewhere 20 minutes after they close, or 15 minutes after the last ride or whatever it is you've just missed.

4. Re: Book rooms or not ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2014, 06:17