We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Border crossing - Canada to America VISA REQUIREMENTS

London
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Border crossing - Canada to America VISA REQUIREMENTS

Hi there,

I am travelling around Canada in a few weeks time. Finally our trip is planned and counting down the days!! We are planning to spend a day in America (mainly for the shopping outlets as we have heard about the price difference)

We are planning to cross the border at Abbotsford on Highway 11 and travel down to Seattle.

FIrstly, we are British Citizens so are entitield to travel to America on the Visa Waiver Programme using an ESTA which we will need to apply for. However I have read about obtaining a Visa from the border control for $12.00 which will allow us entry to the country.

I am unsure whether we need to have both documents or if we only need one, which one is better and will help us cross the border more quickly (to allow more shopping time)

I appreciate you knowledge or any advice :)

Mentioned in this post
Abbotsford
Abbotsford
British Columbia, Canada
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
29,810 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Border crossing - Canada to America VISA REQUIREMENTS

Others will be along in a minute to give a more detailed response, but as I understand it, the ESTA program is for arrival by air. Land crossings apply a different program (I90W or something I think) which is done at the border at the time of crossing and costs $6 US in exact change. You will need to get your $6 in USD before you cross. Perhaps you can chat with any American tourists you meet and see if they will sell you a couple of dollars. :>

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
22,802 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Border crossing - Canada to America VISA REQUIREMENTS

It's an I94.

For more info see here:

cbp.gov/xp/…

Or ask your question on the Seattle forum, since it pertains to US border matters, not Canadian.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,387 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Border crossing - Canada to America VISA REQUIREMENTS

Unfortunately I have just been to several outlet malls in Washington and Oregon; sad but true. I did not find the prices that much better. Most of the items in the shops I went into (Nike, North Face, Eddie Bauer ect) offer inferior products, last years stuff or things they can't sell at reduced prices. I didn't think the deals were that screaming.

I certainly would not recommend going to the US and the ensuing hassles just to do a bit of shopping. However I should note that I am a reluctant shopper and am not even close to reaching professional status.

Edited: 17 July 2013, 23:42
Mentioned in this post
Washington
Washington
United States
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
679 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Border crossing - Canada to America VISA REQUIREMENTS

ESTA is only for flying to the U.S.

Crossing the border on land from Canada to the U.S. requires a I-94W form, which you have to fill in while crossing. Costs are $ 6 U.S. per person, payable only in cash (exact change).

Seattle is always worth a visit, but don't go for the outlet shopping. Like Dave said, it's a bit of a let-down and adding your travelling costst to your shopping bill you won't get anything worthwhile on the cheap.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
19,482 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Border crossing - Canada to America VISA REQUIREMENTS

Just to clarify that the ESTA is required to enter the US by air OR SEA. The ferry between Vancouver Island and Seattle is regarded as a land crossing.

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver Island
Vancouver Island
British Columbia, Canada
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
London
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Border crossing - Canada to America VISA REQUIREMENTS

Thanks everyone for your responses, that makes sense now about the I94 as I saw this being mentioned but wasn't sure if I needed both.

Thanks also for the advice about shopping - since we don't have to pre-buy a visa we will look at the Canadian prices (we are from London so anything has got to be better than what we pay!!) and then make a decision :)

Regards

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
679 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Border crossing - Canada to America VISA REQUIREMENTS

Meanwhile, here's a list of Vancouver area outlet stores:

www.salessmartz.com/vancoutlet.html

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
8. Re: Border crossing - Canada to America VISA REQUIREMENTS

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2014, 07:18