We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what are the camping ground like in the rockies area ??

Wanaka, Otago, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
what are the camping ground like in the rockies area ??

Hi We have a campervan hired to do the rockies in june 2014 , we are curious what the camper ground parks have facilites eg , BBQ?,Showers ?and approx cost per night ??

Thanks in advance

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
17,089 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what are the camping ground like in the rockies area ??

G'day Kiwi,

Unfortunately you have posted on the BC forum while the Rockies are over 800 kms from Vancouver in Alberta. If you re-post your question on the Alberta/Canadian Rockies forum you should get some good responses.

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowForum-g659487-i11598-…

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what are the camping ground like in the rockies area ??

yes, post on alberta but you can check out

www.pc.gc.ca

which will give you details on the parks. there are no private campgrounds in banff and jasper so you need to pick one from the national parks.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,161 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what are the camping ground like in the rockies area ??

If it is the campgrounds in the national parks you are wondering about, you can visit the website for the particular park you need info for... the camping page is under "Visitor Information" and then "Where to stay" from the menu on the left side of the page. Each park has a list of campgrounds, in a chart, with amenities. I don't remember if fees are listed on that page, or on another "fees" page. Note that camping fees would be in addition to the park entry fee that anyone with a vehicle pays just to be in the park.

Outside of the parks, there are privately-owned campgrounds and RV parks; these tend to have more in the way of amenities (and cost more), but you usually sacrifice privacy and a more natural environment. Some private RV parks are more like parking lots.

In general, most of the Parks Canada have limited amenities. Only a few of the bigger campgrounds (generally the ones closest to the towns of Banff and Jasper) have showers. None of them have BBQs, but some sites have a firebox where you can have a campfire.

Here are the pages for Banff and Jasper - you can use the directions I gave above to find the pages for other parks, if desired.

pc.gc.ca/eng/…camping.aspx

pc.gc.ca/pn-np/…camping.aspx

Note that depending on what part of June you will be here, there may be some campgrounds not yet open for the season - the dates in the charts above will give you a good idea of the opening dates for next year.

Edited: 23 September 2013, 16:36
Rockies BC
Level Contributor
974 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what are the camping ground like in the rockies area ??

another place to look at is the provincial campgrounds in BC - if you are planning on going farther afield than just Banff/Jasper. Here's the website:

www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/map.html

this starts with the map, you can zoom in to various areas & find many Provincial Parks that have camping facilities. One to consider is Premier Lake (about 3-1/2 hrs from Banff) , beautiful and tranquil.

Blind Bay, BC
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what are the camping ground like in the rockies area ??

I always find this site helpful with information on Camping/RV parks :

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,971 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what are the camping ground like in the rockies area ??

I have been thinking for a long time that we needed a travelers article on this subject, so I've started one here:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154922-c201141/Briti…

Anyone with any additional thoughts on camping in BC feel free to add or edit!

Alberta
Level Contributor
417 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what are the camping ground like in the rockies area ??

Robson Meadows campground is great if you want to spend a day and see the highest point in the BC Rockies. Nice showers and flush toilets. Very well kept. Nice firepits but wood is about 8$ per bundle. There are some nice day hikes from there too. Overlander Falls, Rearguard falls are under an hour each return.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,506 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what are the camping ground like in the rockies area ??

Nice job Vancouverite on the travelers article. I can't think of anything to add, and believe me, I tried hard :)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,971 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what are the camping ground like in the rockies area ??

Thanks, IW. You would know if anything was missing, so I'm glad it passed muster. :) Just some info I share repeatedly, so I thought I may as well save it somewhere that we can all find it.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,673 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what are the camping ground like in the rockies area ??

Great work, guys.

I'm always a bit disappointed when the Original Poster never comes back to acknowledge this incredible info...

Cheers,

Terry