We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancuover + Victoria during American Thanksgiving

4 posts
Save Topic
Vancuover + Victoria during American Thanksgiving

I am planning to travel to Vancouver and Victoria in British Columbia from Portland, Oregon. I know that Nov-Dec are the most rainy months in BC. I am hoping that it will not rain all 4 days (11/28 to 12/01). This is my first visit to Vancouver and Victoria.

I am planning to stay indoor (in museums etc.) when it rains outside. I would like to hear more suggestions on having the best cultural experience in Vancouver and Victoria during American Thanksgiving (11/28-12/01).

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
14,895 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vancuover + Victoria during American Thanksgiving

hi

if you are driving you will be spending a lot of your time in your car and on the ferry to Victoria. I would pick just one city if you only have 4 days and, here is hoping it does not rain.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,163 posts
775 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vancuover + Victoria during American Thanksgiving

I agree, four days is on the short side for both Vancouver and Victoria, I'd stick to one of two cities...

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,178 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vancuover + Victoria during American Thanksgiving

Tust that you know that US Thanksgiving is just another Thursday here. Wouldn't recommend Victoria as a day trip.....spend the night. You are trying to do a lot in a short period of time.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,191 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vancuover + Victoria during American Thanksgiving

Welcome to Trip Advisor!

You could drive from Portland to Vancouver in one day, maybe six hours, or maybe eight, depending on the border crossing line ups.

Can you start driving Wednesday night, right after work? Are you by yourself, or will there be someone else to share driving? After a couple of days in Vancouver, take the ferry to Vancouver Island, and spend two nights in Victoria. Then return to Washington State via Port Angeles, or Anacortes. Going through customs may be faster using this route.

http://www.bcferries.com/

https://cohoferry.com/

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/

Note that the Washington State ferry leaves from Sidney (north of Victoria, and just south of the ferry terminal), and does not go that often at all!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,790 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vancuover + Victoria during American Thanksgiving

Welcome to the forum, Mandar ~

I'd stick with one city. 4 nights in Vancouver is just about right. 2-3 nights in Victoria will do it. There will be more to do in Vancouver at that time of year.

You could take Amtrak Cascades to Vancouver and not use a car at all. It takes 4 hours by land/ferry (Pacific Coach Lines) to get from downtown Vancouver to Victoria, and 3 hours on the Victoria Clipper pax only boat from Victoria to Seattle Harbour, so there's a day of your 4 spent in travel.

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
2,982 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vancuover + Victoria during American Thanksgiving

The two cities were great for a weekend cruise, then back to Seattle: High Tea in Victoria, Buchart Gardens, further up from Victoria, the harbor at Vancouver; and even whales in the inside passage enroute, but as was stated above, I'd settle into Vancouver for a memorable Thanksgiving stay so that you have time to select the right restaurant from a wide variety there, and then time for a couple of days of reflective R & R before or after.

Edited: 19 November 2013, 14:44
Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,437 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vancuover + Victoria during American Thanksgiving

All the pubs will have the Thanksgiving NFL games.

4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Vancuover + Victoria during American Thanksgiving

Thanks a lot everyone for your responses. :)

I will be traveling alone. Hence, to travel cheaper, I will be using public transport (Bus or Train). Main objective of this trip will be cultural experience. It looks like I will get most of it if I explore only one of the cities. Considering the duration and time of the year, which place do you recommend to visit - Vancouver or Victoria? I don't live that far from BC, hence I can certainly visit more often. :)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,178 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vancuover + Victoria during American Thanksgiving

Vancouver is much more easily reached by public transport and there is much more to do / see.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,191 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vancuover + Victoria during American Thanksgiving

If relying on public transport, definitely stay in Vancouver. Victoria will be there another time, and hopefully with a week, and a friend, and a car!

Have a great time!