We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling direct by air to Mexico

Bc
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling direct by air to Mexico

Has anyone traveled direct from Canada to cancun or anywhere in Mexico, while not being allowed to enter the U.S and require a waiver but did not have one? Just wondering if traveling direct is an option if you need a waiver , or if you will be rejected and not allowed to board the plane. And the offense is a small drug charge at the U.S border.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,138 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling direct by air to Mexico

Hi Jzubes ~

If you don't find an answer coming your way on this forum, you could post on the Air Travel Forum. Link is here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Trav…

My understanding is that anyone flying over US airspace must be cleared by the US to be able to do so. Happy to be wrong.

Edited: 21 November 2013, 03:52
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling direct by air to Mexico

If you're on a terrorist watchlist, sure, you might have a problem. But I don't think you need to be admissible to the US to overfly the US -- e.g. foreigners don't need visas.

Remember that Canadian domestic flights from Toronto to western Canada routinely pass through US airspace, so this would be a hugely common problem if true.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling direct by air to Mexico

One thing for sure is if an emergency landing were to take place in the US, it would not be a good scene....

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling direct by air to Mexico

.....and the chances of that happening are...

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,138 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling direct by air to Mexico

Maybe I was thinking of the US No Fly list.

tsa.gov/stakeholders/secure-flight-program

Not sure if convictions would be caught by that program. As the flyer would not be touching down in the US it could be a non issue, but pax manifests are required to be submitted to the US for pre-clearance.

aircanada.com/en/…secureflight.html

Sechelt, BC
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling direct by air to Mexico

Do you have a valid passport? Can't see it being a problem if you do. I have travelled with someone that is not allowed to enter the states (even with a pardon) and has flown direct to Mexico from Canada numerous times.

check out this thread - you can contact the OP to see if they encountered any problems.

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g150793-i46-k442404…

Bc
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling direct by air to Mexico

I really hope it will be okay. He has a valid passport, he's just denied entry into the US.. a pardon won't do anything. The lawyer changed his record in Canada to driving without insurance, but in the states at federal law they still have the charge as a possession of controlled substance.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling direct by air to Mexico

Oops, I didn't see the earlier replies. According to Wikipedia, the No Fly List has about 21,000 names on it. The number of Americans with criminal convictions is in the tens of millions (see e.g. dailykos.com/story/2010/09/13/901423/-45-Mil… or yubanet.com/usa/….UqfLq_RDvdg ), so it seems pretty clear that the No Fly list would _not_ include most people with criminal convictions. I don't think there's anything to worry about.

canada
Level Contributor
165 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling direct by air to Mexico

I know this is an older post but for future reference a direct flight can stop over on the way to where it is going.What you want is a non stop flight There are lots of direct flights that stop in the US.

js

Sechelt, BC
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling direct by air to Mexico

opps - right you are js. That is what I was referring to - a non stop flight. I know direct flights can stop, I didn't clue into the air travel lingo so to speak.