We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap and nice place to stay in West Canada for Dec-Jan

Which British Columbia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
3 posts
Save Topic
Cheap and nice place to stay in West Canada for Dec-Jan

Hi,

I, my wife, and two tiny dogs will have to stay in west Canada from mid-dec for a month or two. We are Australians, and the story is that I was working in Seattle, U.S. I came to Canada to change visa (as I changed employer) and unfortunately, we are stuck here. It seems like the visa will take a couple of months. We were adviced not to try going back to U.S. and we are not willing to risk it.

So there we are, with a backpack. Planned to stay for a week initially, but have to stay for extended time. Some sort of imposed holiday, but the problem is we are very tight on budget as we pay rent in U.S. mortgage in Aussy, and I am not working.

Looking for suggestion on some towns or places in western Canada, which is cheap to stay (i.e. an apartment/basement for $600-$800/mo), and also nice enough to ease the pain of sitting in the state of limbo. Ideally somewhere that we can live without a car. Please get some advice on how to get to that place from Vancouver, BC as well.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,021 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap and nice place to stay in West Canada for Dec-Jan

Look to Parksville/Qualicum on Vancouver Island-all kinds of deals to be had in the off season.

Not much hard info online though you'll need to do some telephoning.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,750 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap and nice place to stay in West Canada for Dec-Jan

You could look at house sitting. Craigslist and Kijiji would run these ads, just go in with your eyes open. You can also place your "housesitting wanted" advert too. It's free.

Seattle, Washington
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap and nice place to stay in West Canada for Dec-Jan

Wonderful. Thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,750 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap and nice place to stay in West Canada for Dec-Jan

This is a fairly nice hostel on Burnaby St in downtown Vancouver. Their max booking online is 21 days, a room for up to 2 couples for 21 days is about $630 for that 3 weeks. Don't know if that is for the room or for a couple. Certainly nor per person. Don't know how easy it would be to extend a stay. There may not be another couple show up to take the other two bunk beds. Worth having a look.

.http://www.hihostels.ca/westerncanada/169/HI-Vancouver-Downtown/index.hostel

Breakfast and wireless included, 7th night free until the end of March. Kitchen, laundry, TV Room.

But the value is that it is right in downtown Van, where you can pick up cheap food everywhere and can buy groceries to make in the communal kitchen. Public transit is easy and walking is too.

Edited: 08 December 2013, 08:02
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,750 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap and nice place to stay in West Canada for Dec-Jan

samesun.com/backpackers-hostels/vancouver/

Samesun is another hostel a few blocks away from the HI on Granville at Nelson. Too bad The Skillet resto isn't around there any more.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,727 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap and nice place to stay in West Canada for Dec-Jan

I'm not sure, though, that most hostels would allow pets (OP did mention "two tiny dogs"). I had a quick glance and didn't see anything about it, either way, on the samesun website ... but just thinking about it logically, high density, mostly dorm-style accommodation and communal facilities doesn't lend itself to guests with pets.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,166 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheap and nice place to stay in West Canada for Dec-Jan

Friends of mine needed a long stay motel when a relative was in GF Strong and they found a place on Kingsway that was very cheap. If I can get the name of the place, I'll PM you.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,166 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheap and nice place to stay in West Canada for Dec-Jan

That post got me thinking - the hospitals may well have a list of places that families from out of town can stay when they have someone in the hospital, so I checked the VGH website and found this.

vch.eduhealth.ca/PDFs/JB/AA.022.Ac27.pdf

Several of the places listed are specifically for families, but some of them are just motels and guest houses, so it can't hurt to start there. They may be able to put you on to something.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,166 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheap and nice place to stay in West Canada for Dec-Jan

OK, one more idea. See if you can get a low-cost off-season RV rental and then see if you can get a long term spot at somewhere like the Cariboo RV park.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheap and nice place to stay in West Canada for Dec-Jan

i'd try to make the best of it and look into hostels, ymca's...could take overnight buses (to save room costs for one night) and travel to banff, jasper, pentcton, places on vancouver island.